aberdeen-music

The World Cup 2014 Thread

Woodsinho

What is it with Germany and these unspectacular but utterly lethal strikers? They go through seasons at their respective clubs doing well but not making major headlines, then when there's a major tournament they're smacking them in all over the place and look unplayable. Klose, bierhoff now Muller

Well, we set our stall out and it was quickly and efficiently dismantled, crumpled into a phallic-like object and rammed squarely up our arses. That's Pepe and Fabby Cointreau out for the next game too so we're royally fucked.

We need the guy in my sig back stat. Him, danny and Nuno Gomez. Mainly for their looks mind.

What is it with Germany and these unspectacular but utterly lethal strikers? They go through seasons at their respective clubs doing well but not making major headlines, then when there's a major tournament they're smacking them in all over the place and look unplayable. Klose, bierhoff now Muller

Muller isn't even a striker as well.

Well, we set our stall out and it was quickly and efficiently dismantled, crumpled into a phallic-like object and rammed squarely up our arses. That's Pepe and Fabby Cointreau out for the next game too so we're royally fucked.

We need the guy in my sig back stat. Him, danny and Nuno Gomez. Mainly for their looks mind.

Word! I started supporting Portugal in Euro 2000 because of Figo (that goal from miles away against England - holy fuck!) and seem to have stuck with them since but the last few years have been such a let down. Bring the auld lads out of retirement for sure. Deco, Gomes and Abel bloody Xavier.

I did enjoy this from someone on Twitter, though.

BqRD0XPIYAAFf9G.jpg

And Figo's been posting some fine photos too...

BqQ1dolCcAEaKqb.jpg

What a totally naturally black-haired power-house.

• Upvote 2

Hasn't Muller generally been considered one of the top attacking midfielders in Europe for the last few years? 

And Bierhoff was banging in the goals for in Serie A in between scoring goals for Germany.

Argentina will hope for better in their next games but the 3 points is the most important thing. The winners often have an unimpressive first match anyway. 

The narrative the media are trying to spin around Messi s annoying. He wasn't bad in 06 at all. He just didn't score. His first match in 2006 was certainly much much better than last night, but pundits like Alan Shearer can't look past goals for their analysis. 

Hasn't Muller generally been considered one of the top attacking midfielders in Europe for the last few years? 

And Bierhoff was banging in the goals for in Serie A in between scoring goals for Germany.

Yes, undoubtedly great players, but not really doing it on the same level week in week out that they seem to do it at the world cup (otherwise people would be messi-wanking over them 24/7).  Particularly impressive given how other more prolific scorers often under perform. It's the relentlessness of these German players at major tournaments.

Muller is exceptional, but there's something about the way he conducts his game on the pitch, it's as ca_gere describes, unspectacular. Yet, he scores buttloads of goals and racks up assists effortlessly, whilst never looking outstanding in his performance. He's not a pace merchant, hes not jinking through defenders, he's not stroking the ball around deftly like Pirlo, and he's not slamming in screamers. He's not an explosive player. He's just there, putting the ball in the net. He's just largely efficient.

There's threads about him on a number of football forums I read, with alot of people saying he's not that good. When he was briefly linked with United (because he spoke positively about Van Gaal in an interview a few weeks ago), United fans didn't seem to want him. I'm glad those rumours turned out to be nonsense, as I'd get pretty fed up with Muller just scoring loads of goals all the time.

And his face. He's the most German looking German in all of Germany.

• Upvote 1