aberdeen-music

2013/2014 Season

Eupraxia

City have bought players they really didnt need, without signing some defenders

Chelsea still havent bought a good striker

Dunno about that - City conceded very few goals last season, and have bought cover and experience in Demichelis. New defenders weren't really the priority. Also, not sure which players you mean that weren't needed. Fernandinho is a much more mobile option in the centre of midfield who gives the excellent Yaya Toure more space and time to roam (as he likes to do, to great affect), while Navas provides the width City lacked under Mancini. Jovetic and Negredo will try to give them the goals that Balotelli and Tevez might've got 'em. While yes, they pay crazy prices for players, their signings are all necessary from a tactical perspective. I thought they did their transfer business very well indeed.

Chelsea bought Eto'o who is still a total beast.

This will probably sound like a joke, but I honestly think Leighton Baines is absolutely incredible.  He has been one of my favourite players to watch over the last 3 seasons or so.  He is immense going forward and solid at the back.  I think he is better than Patrice Evra, who would come third in the premier league's best three left backs after Cole and Baines.  I think Baines offers more than Cole now also.  I've never been impressed with Coentrao, but have only really seen him playing for Portugal, who aren't really that good. 

LEFT BACKS

• Upvote 3

This will probably sound like a joke, but I honestly think Leighton Baines is absolutely incredible.  He has been one of my favourite players to watch over the last 3 seasons or so.  He is immense going forward and solid at the back.  I think he is better than Patrice Evra, who would come third in the premier league's best three left backs after Cole and Baines.  I think Baines offers more than Cole now also.  I've never been impressed with Coentrao, but have only really seen him playing for Portugal, who aren't really that good. 

LEFT BACKS

I absolutely agree with this. Leighton Baines's all round game has come to the fore in the past two seasons, and I sincerely consider him to be one of the finest attacking left full-backs in the world. Even at 28, you can still get three or four good seasons out of him at the highest level, and I am really disappointed he never got the move to United during the recently closed window. I would love to see what Baines could do for a top side.

Coentrao is not a left-back in my opinion. He has even said as much himself; he despises being played there and considers himself a left winger. I think it would have been a little regressive for Man United to sign him as a left full-back. His defensive abilities are suspect to say the least, and I think clever EPL managers would target him as a weak defensive link. Stick with Evra and Buttner for the meantime, and perhaps think about adding Baines in January.

Fellaini is a good signing for United, I think, and he can play is a deep ball-winning midfielder, or essentially at the attacking point of a midfield triangle. He offers a lot of flexibility in terms of where one plays him and what midfield set-up Moyes can opt for. He is also an absolute beast at holding up the ball and winning it in advanced positions, therefore allowing others to join the attack and offer themselves. He is a player with very little grace or elegance, but in my opinion he is one of the most effective midfielders in the league.

I reckon Manchester United are definite title challengers this season, despite their unremarkable transfer window endeavours.

I don't understand the trash talk around the Felaini signing. He's ridiculously effective and it's a great signing. He almost never plays a bad game and when he does he seems to come out twice as determined the next game. Man Utd will do just fine this season. Perhaps not a treble-winning season but they'll be up there and Moyes will have had a succesfull first year. It's just transfer envy from Man Utd fans saying they NEED x, y or z player. 

The trash is because the fantasy United fans wanted Fabregas and Ronaldo. Some genuinely believed Ronaldo was "coming home" yesterday, and all summer long. Pure delusion. So when United only sign a solid, slightly unglamerous brute midfielder, then it's just bedlam.

He's getting torn apart on some United forums for not being good enough, written off purely as an elbowing target man with no technique. His touch and control and passing in tight areas are so underappreciated. Good eye for goal, as well as all the physical attributes which everyone knows about. Solid footballer. They overpaid, for certain, but regardless, it's a good signing, and fills the gap in midfield which Cleverley and Anderson are not good enough to fill on a regular basis. I think he'll boss it, and I think with a little bit of time he'll become a fan favourite. I bet we'll see the fuzzy wigs being worn by fans at Old Trafford before Christmas.

I don't think I'll ever be convinced by Baines. I don't know why. I know he's good, but I refuse to believe he's the right player for United. I think I have a hard time accepting English players can possibly be top class, because most of the time, they are not. Took me ages to take to Welbeck, and I hated Carrick for about 5 years. Whereas those suave, lavish foreigners and their stepovers sucker me in immediately. Coentrao's first name is Fabio. That's a total football name. There must be about 700 Fabios in professional football, and all of them are probably mint at stepovers. Baines' mum called him LEIGHTON. That sounds like the name of the bassist in a wedding band. Nothing about him is very football at all. Especially not his barnet.

All of these are totally unreasonable reasons to dismiss him. I'm probably just in denial because I'm gay for King Pat.

Edited by Joda Serk
  • Upvote 1

The trash is because the fantasy United fans wanted Fabregas and Ronaldo. Some genuinely believed Ronaldo was "coming home" yesterday, and all summer long. Pure delusion. So when United only sign a solid, slightly unglamerous brute midfielder, then it's just bedlam.

He's getting torn apart on some United forums for not being good enough, written off purely as an elbowing target man with no technique. His touch and control and passing in tight areas are so underappreciated. Good eye for goal, as well as all the physical attributes which everyone knows about. Solid footballer. They overpaid, for certain, but regardless, it's a good signing, and fills the gap in midfield which Cleverley and Anderson are not good enough to fill on a regular basis. I think he'll boss it, and I think with a little bit of time he'll become a fan favourite. I bet we'll see the fuzzy wigs being worn by fans at Old Trafford before Christmas.

I don't think I'll ever be convinced by Baines. I don't know why. I know he's good, but I refuse to believe he's the right player for United. I think I have a hard time accepting English players can possibly be top class, because most of the time, they are not. Took me ages to take to Welbeck, and I hated Carrick for about 5 years. Whereas those suave, lavish foreigners and their stepovers sucker me in immediately. Coentrao's first name is Fabio. That's a total football name. There must be about 700 Fabios in professional football, and all of them are probably mint at stepovers. Baines' mum called him LEIGHTON. That sounds like the name of the bassist in a wedding band. Nothing about him is very football at all. Especially not his barnet.

All of these are totally unreasonable reasons to dismiss him. I'm probably just in denial because I'm gay for King Pat.

I dont think there is a gap in the world that Anderson cannot fill. 

• Upvote 1

I don't understand the trash talk around the Felaini signing. He's ridiculously effective and it's a great signing. He almost never plays a bad game and when he does he seems to come out twice as determined the next game. Man Utd will do just fine this season. Perhaps not a treble-winning season but they'll be up there and Moyes will have had a succesfull first year. It's just transfer envy from Man Utd fans saying they NEED x, y or z player. 

I haven't seen that much trash talk about Fellaini himself, mostly just about the shambolic nature of United work in this transfer window. If they'd bought him in July (when he would have been cheaper) it would have looked fine. 

I disagree about him never playing a bad game though. I felt he quite frequently put in lazy performances, seemed like he couldn't be arsed. Good in the big matches though which is most important for Man U I suppose.

I haven't seen that much trash talk about Fellaini himself, mostly just about the shambolic nature of United work in this transfer window. If they'd bought him in July (when he would have been cheaper) it would have looked fine. 

I disagree about him never playing a bad game though. I felt he quite frequently put in lazy performances, seemed like he couldn't be arsed. Good in the big matches though which is most important for Man U I suppose.

You should read some United forums. Not many wanted him. Alot are pissed it's all they've ended up with. More wanted James McCarthy over Fellaini. McCarthy is good and all, but Fellaini is a class above. Perhaps several classes. He's right bloody good.

I think he looked lazy last season in spells. I think he wanted a move last summer which didn't materialise. Still scored alot of goals, but did start to look disinterested as the season went on. Probably got the move he needs to kick him into gear again. Can't wait for him to start elbowing and headbutting bastards that get in his way.

That's probably another reason why Baines won't join United. He's a nice boy. Too nice. He took a whack in the face from Bellamy at the weekend and did or said nothing. You've got to be a gobshite cunt to play for United. If he was a United player, that forearm smash from Bellamy could have almost killed him, but Fellaini would get revenge by planting an elbow to the back of Bellamy's head, and then claim "got the ball". The United way.

I agree. He'll probably be to United what Yaya is to City. He'll boss the middle but have freedom to attack as well. He always said his best position is central midfield, and not as an attacker. He only played there because Everton lacked options.

Then a front four of Kagawa, Rooney and Nani behind RvP. That is good enough to win the league again.

I agree. He'll probably be to United what Yaya is to City. He'll boss the middle but have freedom to attack as well. He always said his best position is central midfield, and not as an attacker. He only played there because Everton lacked options.

Then a front four of Kagawa, Rooney and Nani behind RvP. That is good enough to win the league again.

Steady on!