aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

Guest Gladstone
Do you mean the cross from Fyvie late on? It didn't go in - the keeper pushed it round the post. But...we were denied a corner from which we would have obviously scored.

Anyway, I appreciate we weren't good enough but we didn't get the rub of the green. Vernon's penalty shout was a stone waller and it was definitely hand ball for their first goal although nobody seemed to claim at the time. I think we were all so astounded at how we let them score with such ease to notice the hand ball.

Considine and Mawene are very slow and I think that is a big factor when coming up against teams who can pass the ball to each other and have a nippy striker.

I just watched the highlights and thought their first goal was handball but couldn't see anyone even claiming for it so thought it must have been some sort of optical illusion. And you didn't get a corner for that save from the keeper!?? Shocking.

I didn't think Vernon's penalty shout was a stonewaller from the highlights, but it wasn't a very good replay. The second penalty shout looked more like a stonewaller but I'd have liked a better replay on that one too.

Seemed pretty unlucky not to win the match. I don't think the red card was that ridiculous because I have to assume that Fyvie said something out of line to the referee. Someone in the stands (Nef C) couldn't really argue because you'll have no idea what Fyvie said. If he said "You're a fucking cunt, ref. I'm coming round to your house tonight to thumb your missus in the ass." then you can see why the ref sent him off, whereas if he said "Referee, old chap - do you really believe that ball went out? Really? Okay, jolly good." then it wouldn't have been merited. I presume it was something closer to the former that he said.

Sportscene had numerous replays of the handball and seemed to think that it actually struck his face. It was almost JFK like with the zooming in and repeated slow-mo while Rob Mclean recited "Back and to the left. Back and to the left. Back and to the left.."

After seeing that it did look like it could have struck his face/shoulder instead of the arm but it seems like he was sticking the arm out with the intention of handling it so because of that and the fact that I'm totally biased then the cheating fuck should have had the goal disallowed.

Let's hope so.

What's made it such a grand weekend so far? Were you not upset by your beloved Real failing on Saturday night;)

Tottenham getting stuffed by the referee to muck up that game in hand. That was a good one. also United scoring more than 1 goal and generally looking like a good football team. That was also good.

The Barca result was surprising, but they deserved it. It's amazing how constantly highly regarded CRonaldo is, but has rarely ever turned up for a big, big game. His record against Barca is poor, just like it was against Chelsea at United.

Derby signed Russell Anderson to sit in front of the back four?

They deserve to fail as a football club if they ever felt he is capable of that. Does anyone remember Anderson playing as the holding/anchoring midfielder for Scotland? He was absolute guff.

He is an out-and-out centre-back and it doesn't take a footballing genius to reach that conclusion.

I would love it if he signed for Aberdeen and played around 50% of their fixtures for a year or two. But I don't think his body is even capable of that now. :down:

I tend to follow former Don's careers to an unhealthy level of obsession and Anderson's career since leaving us has been a disaster. Particularly at Derby it wasn't just one or two injuries and then a run in the team - he hardly played more than two consecutive games and every time he came back he would pick up another injury. The fans there seemed to rate him any time he did play but were frustrated at how injury prone he is. That's twice his contract has been ripped up by mutual consent and both managers said the same thing - model professional but terribly unlucky with injury. I can't see that changing now he's 33. Brown has stated that he would need to free up wages to take him on and given his problems with injury you'd be hard pushed to justify that. If he could stay fit he'd be exactly what we need but I don't think it's worth the risk.

Getting him in on a full-time contract makes absolutely no sense given his injury problems and lack of playing time over the past few years. Realistically he's only going to guarantee you a handful of games, and the wages could definitely be better used elsewhere. Pay-as-you-play makes more sense. A nominal (or no?) sum every week as standard, more when/if he makes it on the pitch. Sign him until the season's end and see how it goes.

It's almost destined to end in failure, but my sentimental side wants Aberdeen to give him a go. He went down south to play at a higher level (which probably makes him a dick in the eyes of some people on here...) and it hasn't worked out. I remember a couple of injury-prone seasons at Aberdeen: no doubt those are catching-up on him now. Still, I loved watching Russell when I had a season ticket. What a player. He should've had a lot more Scotland caps as he was clearly a better player than Andy bloody Webster.

• Upvote 3

Getting him in on a full-time contract makes absolutely no sense given his injury problems and lack of playing time over the past few years. Realistically he's only going to guarantee you a handful of games, and the wages could definitely be better used elsewhere. Pay-as-you-play makes more sense. A nominal (or no?) sum every week as standard, more when/if he makes it on the pitch. Sign him until the season's end and see how it goes.

It's almost destined to end in failure, but my sentimental side wants Aberdeen to give him a go. He went down south to play at a higher level (which probably makes him a dick in the eyes of some people on here...) and it hasn't worked out. I remember a couple of injury-prone seasons at Aberdeen: no doubt those are catching-up on him now. Still, I loved watching Russell when I had a season ticket. What a player. He should've had a lot more Scotland caps as he was clearly a better player than Andy bloody Webster.

Totally good post, and relates to my overall thoughts on him. I used to absolutely love watching that guy play football, and he was a genuine SPL class act over the course of about 4 consecutive seasons. He carried himself brilliantly, and he came across to me as one of these quiet players who just commands a massive amount of respect from team mates and management, without the need to be an ostensibly vocal leader. He tended to lead by sheer example, and he was one of the last Aberdeen players who, in my opinion, led by example on a weekly basis. I remember when he was starting out he was often placed at right-back, and whilst he performed admirably even as an early-twenties player, once he cemented his place at centre-back, he was utterly immense.

I am always dubious of SPL players heading to Championship level in England, as I don't think many of them are immediately good enough (as I have tediously expressed more than once around these parts), but I thought he'd genuinely cut it at Championship or low level Premier League.

I think Willie Miller should really earn his corn and set up an arrangement to sign him on the sort of deal you propose, Murr, with a very minimal basic, with appearance and performance related fees heavily involved. I think we can all accept that Anderson will never again be fully match fit, but even an 85% fit Anderson would be comfortable and effective in the SPL right now, and the experience and composure he oozes will hopefully influence others immediately around him.

• Upvote 1

nah, most aberdeen fans still hold anderson in high regard even though he went to the championship. he donated his signing on fee back to the club to use for youth development and had already devoted years to the team. no one begrudged him giving it a go.

rumour is that it'll be pay as you play for 18 months, according to posters on aberdeen-mad. then he's going to be a financial advisor.

Totally good post, and relates to my overall thoughts on him. I used to absolutely love watching that guy play football, and he was a genuine SPL class act over the course of about 4 consecutive seasons. He carried himself brilliantly, and he came across to me as one of these quiet players who just commands a massive amount of respect from team mates and management, without the need to be an ostensibly vocal leader. He tended to lead by sheer example, and he was one of the last Aberdeen players who, in my opinion, led by example on a weekly basis. I remember when he was starting out he was often placed at right-back, and whilst he performed admirably even as an early-twenties player, once he cemented his place at centre-back, he was utterly immense.

I am always dubious of SPL players heading to Championship level in England, as I don't think many of them are immediately good enough (as I have tediously expressed more than once around these parts), but I thought he'd genuinely cut it at Championship or low level Premier League.

I think Willie Miller should really earn his corn and set up an arrangement to sign him on the sort of deal you propose, Murr, with a very minimal basic, with appearance and performance related fees heavily involved. I think we can all accept that Anderson will never again be fully match fit, but even an 85% fit Anderson would be comfortable and effective in the SPL right now, and the experience and composure he oozes will hopefully influence others immediately around him.

miller isn't involved in contracts anymore, he's been moved to director of football development (youth basically). it's duncan fraser who handles contracts now.

miller isn't involved in contracts anymore, he's been moved to director of football development (youth basically). it's duncan fraser who handles contracts now.

Didn't know that, but given the significance of both Miller and Anderson to Aberdeen, and their probable relationship with each other, I think Miller is the ideal man to lead negotiations and talks with Anderson and his agent. That's all I was referring to, really. It probably isn't necessary, it just makes sense to me.

Surely it'll be a case of, "No-one wants to take a risk on you, you need income, sign this." Done deal.

I'd be quite happy to see him back on a pay as you play deal, I think he'd be the right kind of influence in the dressing room to get the team moving in the right direction.

You're perhaps right.

He'll sign for Hibs now.

Didn't know that, but given the significance of both Miller and Anderson to Aberdeen, and their probable relationship with each other, I think Miller is the ideal man to lead negotiations and talks with Anderson and his agent. That's all I was referring to, really. It probably isn't necessary, it just makes sense to me.

Miller does have a good relationship with Anderson. Was speaking to Willie Miller at some meet and greet at the end of the last season and he was saying how the club and Anderson always kept in close contact with each other and Russell never sold his house up here. I can definitely see Miller having a big part if he re-signs.

I realise he might never play due to injury but I love him. Honestly, person I admired most growing up (through football or otherwise) and by far the best player I've seen in an Aberdeen shirt. Down to earth, genuine guy who every Aberdeen fan I speak to still holds in high regard. He reportedly turned down moves to the OF to stay here, claimed he wanted to play out the rest of his career here and only left to join an English Premiership team. Never deserved all those injuries, top player, top bloke and a great bunch of lads.

Soda Jerk will be loving this. That didn't look like a penalty to me. Spurs getting robbed by 2 bad handball decisions and a disallowed goal and now Man City probably getting beaten due to a soft handball decision. The real reason SAF won't be signing a centre half is obviously due to the lavish gifts he has just bought for the the referees ;)

Soda Jerk will be loving this. That didn't look like a penalty to me. Spurs getting robbed by 2 bad handball decisions and a disallowed goal and now Man City probably getting beaten due to a soft handball decision. The real reason SAF won't be signing a centre half is obviously due to the lavish gifts he has just bought for the the referees ;)

Right on, though United would be joint top if Newcastle hadn't have had a penalty for Rio Ferdinand's completely faultless tackle on Ben Arfa. Everyone is getting cunted by referees.

Also:

Chelsea winning tonight will make it a grand weekend of football.

2-1 is my guess. City will take the lead early, with their total football right from the off. They'll get tired and Chelsea will storm through with their POWER.

OH YEAH!

Miller does have a good relationship with Anderson. Was speaking to Willie Miller at some meet and greet at the end of the last season and he was saying how the club and Anderson always kept in close contact with each other and Russell never sold his house up here. I can definitely see Miller having a big part if he re-signs.

I realise he might never play due to injury but I love him. Honestly, person I admired most growing up (through football or otherwise) and by far the best player I've seen in an Aberdeen shirt. Down to earth, genuine guy who every Aberdeen fan I speak to still holds in high regard. He reportedly turned down moves to the OF to stay here, claimed he wanted to play out the rest of his career here and only left to join an English Premiership team. Never deserved all those injuries, top player, top bloke and a great bunch of lads.

All the best.

EDIT - damn you waltz!

Tottenham getting stuffed by the referee to muck up that game in hand. That was a good one. also United scoring more than 1 goal and generally looking like a good football team. That was also good.

The Barca result was surprising, but they deserved it. It's amazing how constantly highly regarded CRonaldo is, but has rarely ever turned up for a big, big game. His record against Barca is poor, just like it was against Chelsea at United.

I wanted Spurs to win, just to keep them right up there and make things interesting.

Cron has always been a bit absent in big games but the big surprise on saturday was him missing a couple of clear easy chances.

Delighted by the result tonight, even if it is good fir utd.

Oh and Anderson could sign for us just to sell pies on match days and I'd still be delighted to have him back.