aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

You're right though, of course.

That was kind of playing at the back of my mind the entire time that I was imagining someone like Suarez or Nani getting a 10 match ban for diving in the Premier League. It might just encourage them to ply their trade in a country which doesn't have such harsh rules on diving. There have been so many times I've been totally frustrated by the play acting of the opposition team when Scotland is playing or Scottish teams in European matches. It is a different culture on continental Europe all together in that respect, and they seem to treat as far less of a contact sport than we do. That probably has a lot to do why we are shite at it and they're good at it, but that's a different argument all together.

I'm rambling a bit, but getting guys from Italy, Spain, Germany, etc. to agree to dish out 10 match bans for simulation is just never going to happen.

It shouldn't really be it's a global panel that dishes out the bans etc. Members from all countries involved in the decisions if UEFA wanted to it would be relatively simple to implement.

Can't we override UEFA/FIFA like the NASL in America did, by having those 'run from the penalty area and tap it past a charging keeper' penalty shot much to the disdain of FIFA? They also allowed time out breaks when the ball went out of play, for in-game team talks, and a few other bonkers rule changes which FIFA were completely against. We just cower into a corner when Blatter says it's a crap idea. The NASL flipped them the bird and did it anyway. Football anarchism is what it will take. NASL is a great example of how it totally works. The league folded and they stopped the country from hosting the 1986 World Cup... Oh. Ok. Probably better do what they say.

City to beat Bayern tonight but still fail to qualify for the next round. GO TEAM NAPLES.

Turns out I'm a sage.

So pleased to see a non-traditional Italian side in the next round though. Napoli's counter-attacking football is absolutely breathtaking and, as good as Cavani, Lavezzi and Hamsik are, their squad is very well-rounded (but quite shallow, admittedly). They'd probably be bowled over by Real and Barca but I think they'd be a real challenge for anyone else in the CL. Great stuff.

Tough breaks for the Manchester clubs. I said at the start of the competition that City could win it, but this year's competition was probably a season or two too early. I'm sure they'll be stronger next season. United's exit is pretty shocking, but they clearly need a quality central midfielder to complete the puzzle. Should make for an exciting title battle at least.

I think Ferguson just hates buying midfielders. It must be the Veron curse. Last central midfielder he bought was Owen Hargreaves in 2007. He nearly bought Adem Ljajic, but that fell through. Not sure how he's doing at Fiorentina these days. He's still only 20, mind.

I think he needs two midfielders. A quality attacking midfielder, which should have been Nasri or Sneijder, and a real slugger of a cunt. a Tiote or Van Bommel type, who can get stuck in and score one screamer a season. They just aren't the possession powerhouse they used to be because the midfield is so soft, they get pushed off the ball and can't win it back. Cleverley and Jones can play in those respective positions and do a great job but a team of that calibre need depth in those positions, as proven by United falling to pieces when Cleverley got injured.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

• Upvote 2

I think Ferguson just hates buying midfielders. It must be the Veron curse. Last central midfielder he bought was Owen Hargreaves in 2007. He nearly bought Adem Ljajic, but that fell through. Not sure how he's doing at Fiorentina these days. He's still only 20, mind.

I think he needs two midfielders. A quality attacking midfielder, which should have been Nasri or Sneijder, and a real slugger of a cunt. a Tiote or Van Bommel type, who can get stuck in and score one screamer a season. They just aren't the possession powerhouse they used to be because the midfield is so soft, they get pushed off the ball and can't win it back. Cleverley and Jones can play in those respective positions and do a great job but a team of that calibre need depth in those positions, as proven by United falling to pieces when Cleverley got injured.

I completely agree, with the "real slugger of a cunt" the first priority. Arturo Vidal would've been an excellent summer signing but he flew under everyone's radar and went to Juve, who were ding last season.

Ljajic is very talented but has only made 3 sub appearances for Fiorentina this season. He was ridiculously marginalised by that idiot Sinisa Mihajlovic for some strange reason. Pretty crazy given the state of Fiorentina's midfield and the limpness of their attack. New boss Delio Rossi should give him some playing time though.

Cool story bro.

I completely agree, with the "real slugger of a cunt" the first priority. Arturo Vidal would've been an excellent summer signing but he flew under everyone's radar and went to Juve, who were ding last season.

Ljajic is very talented but has only made 3 sub appearances for Fiorentina this season. He was ridiculously marginalised by that idiot Sinisa Mihajlovic for some strange reason. Pretty crazy given the state of Fiorentina's midfield and the limpness of their attack. New boss Delio Rossi should give him some playing time though.

Cool story bro.

You know so much about football that my head is aching.

You know so much about football that my head is aching.

Thanks! It's a pity I don't know much about anything else though.

My flatmate and I were saying similar things last night. Quick, give Sepp a call and get this corrupt filth sorted out immediately!