aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

Genuinely felt so bad for him when he got sent off in the Champions Leaguie semi final second leg for the softest challenge ever against Arsenal, in a game that was completely wrapped up anyway, and was forced to miss the Champions League final. Obviously United would have smashed those Catalan midgets into the Roma turf if Fletcher had have played. He was on top of his game back then, and was probably better than Messi. It was a fix!

I need to see Jack's goal, but it's blocked on BBC 'cos I'm in Australia. Half-way line!!!1

Just change your proxy settings and you'll be able to watch it in Oz... plenty of articles on the web.

http://apcmag.com/how-to-watch-hulu-bbc-iplayer-and-more-in-australia.htm

http://www.anonymous-proxies.org/2009/02/using-iplayer-abroad-viewing-bbc-via.html

Good win for the Dons last night, Arnason almost scored a belter too.

Need to keep it up on Saturday though and beat Hibs, then we can start looking up the table!

Thought the sending off was a little harsh too, but we seem to be down to 10 more games than not. Foster to get sent off on Sat!

Guest Gladstone

That's a really really good win for Aberdeen. If they can beat Hibs at the weekend, things will be looking a lot rosier than a week ago.

Another red card though - suspensions won't make things easy. I didn't see the first yellow card, but from the highlights the challenge for the second yellow looked a bit stupid - making that challenge on the halfway line when you're already on a booking is totally daft. Who wears the number 6 jersey? He made a similar challenge in the first half which didn't result in a free kick because advantage was played.

Guest Gladstone

Incidentally, I had a weird dream last night.

I was advising Sir Alex Ferguson what to do when he eventually retires from Man Utd. I think this may have landed in my conscience after reading an article somewhere that Darren Fletcher thinks Walter Smith should be Fergie's successor.

Anyway, Fergie had a list of preferred clubs and the a list of "maybes". On the preferred list (ridiculously), he had Aberdeen, Celtic and Rangers as well as the more likely teams, such as Real Madrid, Barcelona, etc.

I told him I thought he should go back to Aberdeen for old times' sake and to try to turn the club around - and that put a wee twinkle in his eye. He did say that he thought Craig Brown was doing a good job though. I told him in no uncertain terms not to go to Rangers.

So yeah, Fergie's returning to Aberdeen.

Guest Gladstone
It was Andrew Considine. Harsh second booking I thought.

Officials were pretty poor again last night...pretty sure Chalali would have scored the chance where he was sent through by Vernon and called offside, but was clearly a yard on.

Was that challenge in the first half where he got his first yellow?

If not, then it should have been a yellow and you can't complain about landing yourself a red card if you're a centre half and diving into challenges in the centre circle like that. There's absolutely no need to be committing to tackles like that so far up the field. That one in the first half resulted in him being on his arse in the centre circle whilst St Johnstone mounted an attack, when any challenges like that in the middle of the pitch should be being made by midfielders.

EDIT: I see his first yellow was for "unsporting behaviour" so it couldn't have been for that lunge in the first half.

Guest Gladstone
Are you sure you didn't get confused in the dream and the conversation was actually about which golf club to join?

Nope - you heard it here first, he's not giving up on football. He's going to come back and manage Aberdeen to glory...

...by securing promotion from the First Division... ;)

Guest Gladstone

The only similarities were that it was from the halfway line and it was a goal.

A goal from the halfway line is still brilliant though. He had the vision to see that a trundler from the halfway line would find the net and that's what he did rather than pummelling it from the halfway line and risking losing the ball in the wind / skying it or whatever. Very cool finish.

The shot from Arnasan off the post deserved a goal too - that would have been a screamer.

EDIT: Christ - just watched that Beckham goal again - that's an absolute belter!

It's worth pointing out that whilst it was a very cool finish, the St Johnstone keeper was up the stands getting a pie and a Bovril when Jack scored.

He may have been able to stop it if he took a dive instead of just watching it go into the net. When it went past him looked like it was only a few feet away, as he was jogging back he was watching the ball and it is always worth at least making an attempt to stop it. Then again we are talking about the keeper who did this and was at fault for the first Aberdeen goal too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLawwFbGWS0

Yeah, I was only joking! Jack's was much better. Enckleman had a 'mare last night.

I’ve not seen much of Aberdeen this season, due to my own sporting commitments, but I’m yet to see Mawene or Fallon do anything good. What’s the consensus on Mawene in particular? I thought Osborne was good at right back and I’d like to see more of Jack in midfield, so that seems a good option for the future. I’d also like to see more of McHardle playing at CB too, but rumours are he’ll be away in January?

Against Hibs, I’d like to see: Brown; Osborne, McHardle, Mawene, Foster; Pawlett, Arnason, Jack, Milsom; Vernon, Chalali

We need Arnason to drop back and kick Gary O’Conner pretty regularly too. We could even have him at CB if he wasn’t so important in midfield (although he gave away too many freekicks last night). He is probably our best CB at the moment, even though its not his natural position, so we might be a bit better at the back with him there.

We must improve in the final third against Hibs. Some of our play there was almost unforgiveable last night.