aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

Some reading up seems to confirm what you're saying. If the quote and the containing sentence are both questions then place the question mark in the quote.

Although I think if I was writing a paragraph and your sentence: did she really say "There's a turd in my cleavage?" Then now we have the added problem of the sentence looking like its not finished! You can't put a full stop in between " and Then because you're in effect putting in an extra layer of punctuation and it looks like wrong at the end of a question. But if you put in the extra question mark that looks stupid as well.

You're writing as the Americans would. In that case I would never put the question mark inside of the quotes. It would look like this:

• Did she really say "There's a turd in my cleavage"? Then now we have the added problem of the sentence looking like its not finished!

Granted much of my knowledge of English comes from my Journalism course, so we use a fuckton of quotes.

EDIT: Actually I think I misinterpreted; I would never start a new sentence after one of these "full quotes" (i.e., ones that contain complete sentences), otherwise yeah, you end up with stuff like this:

• She said: "There's a turd in my cleavage!" And I looked, and there was.

You could however do this:

• She said: "There's a turd in my cleavage!", and I looked, and there was.

Or just miss the exclamation point out altogether which is by far the easiest option.

You're writing as the Americans would. In that case I would never put the question mark inside of the quotes. It would look like this:

• Did she really say "There's a turd in my cleavage"? Then now we have the added problem of the sentence looking like its not finished!

Granted much of my knowledge of English comes from my Journalism course, so we use a fuckton of quotes.

But now the quote doesn't look like a question. The tone if it's changed from a question to a statement. To be honest I'd probably just change the structure of the whole sentence to accomodate it. Or not use the bloody quote to make life simpler.

But now the quote doesn't look like a question. The tone if it's changed from a question to a statement. To be honest I'd probably just change the structure of the whole sentence to accomodate it. Or not use the bloody quote to make life simpler.

Aye, just put it in a paragraph of its own if it's a question you're quoting and you want to keep it looking like a question.

I asked a question a while back about how to keep stray cats out a garden. I can report that there is such a thing as spray repellent and that it works very well. We doused our whole yard in the stuff and haven't seen the fuckers since. It reeks of garlic though so I'm not sure how it's gonna pan out when we stop using it - cant have the place stinking all the time. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.

I asked a question a while back about how to keep stray cats out a garden. I can report that there is such a thing as spray repellent and that it works very well. We doused our whole yard in the stuff and haven't seen the fuckers since. It reeks of garlic though so I'm not sure how it's gonna pan out when we stop using it - cant have the place stinking all the time. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.

Concrete and broken glass. Either that or an air rifle.

• Upvote 1