aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

Banter aside though - this thread was one of the good, useful ones on this site and we are killing it. This needs to stop.

Is the college currently on summer holiday as well as both Uni's?

I'm planning to do a flyer drop there but won't bother if there are no students about!

xx

The two people I know who go to college are on summer holidays just now. Lucky bastards.

It's the halls on campus, if you walk past The Hub (towards St Marys - it has a sign on the front), keep going down the hill until you come to a junction, then turn right and up a bit to your left is a little car park and the entrance to the halls - there's a cafe and restaurant as well as a big seating area.

Two for the grammar nazis:

What the fuck is the deal with using an apostrophe in the word "it's"...?

I know the apostrophe goes there if it's a shortened version of "it is" i.e. "There's a turd in my cleavage. It's fucking stinking."

But, why does spell check not like an apostrophe when I'm implying ownership? "Kevin's shit is still in Mary's cleavage. Its smell is giving me the boak." I would have thought "its" would need an apostrophe since the smell belongs to the turd in question?

Also: if I use a quote at the end of a sentence, how does the grammar get laid out?

Did she really say "there's a turd in my cleavage?"

Did she really say "there's a turd in my cleavage."?

xx

• Upvote 1

Two for the grammar nazis:

What the fuck is the deal with using an apostrophe in the word "it's"...?

I know the apostrophe goes there if it's a shortened version of "it is" i.e. "There's a turd in my cleavage. It's fucking stinking."

But, why does spell check not like an apostrophe when I'm implying ownership? "Kevin's shit is still in Mary's cleavage. Its smell is giving me the boak." I would have thought "its" would need an apostrophe since the smell belongs to the turd in question?

Also: if I use a quote at the end of a sentence, how does the grammar get laid out?

xx

Its is a possessive pronoun like theirs, his and hers. No apostrophe.

If you're using a quote then it depends on the quote. Putting the question mark in the quote changes the tone of "there's a turd in my cleavage" from a statement of fact to a question "there's a turd in my cleavage?". So in your example, the question mark should be after the quote as you're asking if she really said there was a turd in her cleavage.

Its is a possessive pronoun like theirs, his and hers. No apostrophe.

If you're using a quote then it depends on the quote. Putting the question mark in the quote changes the tone of "there's a turd in my cleavage" from a statement of fact to a question "there's a turd in my cleavage?". So in your example, the question mark should be after the quote as you're asking if she really said there was a turd in her cleavage.

Ahh ok, that makes sense.

And yeah that was what I've been going with so far. What about:

Mary said "There's a turd in my cleavage." <- since the quote ended in a full stop, I don't need a full stop after the quotation marks?

Mary said "There's a turd in my cleavage.". <- because that looks fucking daft.

Just like if you're quoting someone who is asking a question you don't need a second question mark?

Can you believe she had to ask "is there a turd in my cleavage?"?

xx

You don't really need the full stop in the quote for the statement. It's a quote after all so it could be part of a longer sentence. I'm not sure about the question mark one though. The question mark is important for the tone of the quote so I'd be inclined to include it.

xx

It depends if you're British or American. You're a Brit, so one would say Did she really say "there's a turd in my cleavage"?

If you were writing as an American, the "correct" way of writing the same thing would be Did she really say "there's a turd in my cleavage?"

I say "correct" in quotation marks because the British way, given that it doesn't suggest that 'she' asked a question, is the correct way. However, if you read American news articles or feature pieces and see the full stop within the quotation marks, that's because they treat it that way.

Generally, the easiest thing to do is to leave out the last punctuation mark and put whatever you need to at the end of the quote, such as:

• Jim told me he was "excited to be here".
  • Did you say "there's a bear in my oatmeal"?

Edit: to clarify, this is used when the quote forms part of your sentence, usually when you are only using a few words of it and not a whole sentence etc.

However, if you're building up to the quote in question, and then use it as a full sentence, it's common practise to then introduce it with a colon, and finish it within the quote marks, like so:

• Sally Newark is the chairperson of Stonehaven Bowls Association. She said: "As soon as the thunder stopped, the birds just started dying."
  • The Irish international said: "It's a dream come true to play for this club. I have supported them since I was a boy."
  • He said: "I'm thrilled to be a part of something so amazing."

If you haven't guessed I have way too much time on my hands today.

• Upvote 2

Some reading up seems to confirm what you're saying. If the quote and the containing sentence are both questions then place the question mark in the quote.

Although I think if I was writing a paragraph and your sentence: did she really say "There's a turd in my cleavage?" Then now we have the added problem of the sentence looking like its not finished! You can't put a full stop in between " and Then because you're in effect putting in an extra layer of punctuation and it looks like wrong at the end of a question. But if you put in the extra question mark that looks stupid as well.