aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

Why does my laptop power readout say "0% available (plugged in, not charging). Why isn't it charging?

I'm using it plugged in and it's working fine, I pulled the plug out a second ago to see what would happen and it switched off. It's never done this before...

If it's a MacBook, the battery will be tatties.

Happened to me recently and had to get a new battery, the bastards.

If it's a MacBook, the battery will be tatties.

Happened to me recently and had to get a new battery, the bastards.

Nup, it's a Compaq laptop running Vista. I took the battery off last night and left it for ages cos I thought it might be overheating, if I leave it on a soft surface, eg on my sofa or bed, it can't get air in to keep it cool and it heats up like crazy the cooling fans go fucking radge. Didn't work though. Still says "plugged in, not charging".

Nup, it's a Compaq laptop running Vista. I took the battery off last night and left it for ages cos I thought it might be overheating, if I leave it on a soft surface, eg on my sofa or bed, it can't get air in to keep it cool and it heats up like crazy the cooling fans go fucking radge. Didn't work though. Still says "plugged in, not charging".

my compaq was loud as hell, got to the point where the fans were on high speed all the time to keep it cool, probably sucked up about a score in crumbs from being on all the time. never had a issue with the battery. a new battery probably wont be too much. batteries dies like humans, even the rechargeable ones. same reason you have to change you car battery every so often

Update on t'freeview nonsense. There's an aerial socket in my room, which appears to do sod all. However, there's an aerial socket in the lounge which works, and I can get Babestation and everything. It's in my room where I want Babestation though, so how do I get it from the socket in the lounge to my bedroom telly? The obvious answer is a right bastard long cable, which would be difficult, as I'd have to put those bracket things up to guide it round the skirting board and around door frames. Problematic as it's a rented property.

Is there any sort of wireless receiver I can get to pick up the aerial in the lounge on my bedroom TV without a right bastard long cable.

BOLD

Just get a cheap indoor aerial..... It should work ok in town... Does for me, anyway.

It's certainly worth a shot but by no means as simple as that. Urban topography and elevation will vary from site to site and positioning an indoor aerial is a nightmare because you can't micro-tune like you could on an analog tuner so unless you have a signal meter (certainly not cost effective) it's just pot luck on pinpointing a good consistent signal.

If you do get one i'd suggest a powered one as it can make a difference to the quality (in terms of less picture/sound break-up) to the MUXs that you can receive in your given location.

This was happening to mine. sounds like your battery is fucked and/or youre charger. If its the same as mine check to see that the ligh at the charger input is always on when plugged in, wiggle it a bit too. My battery now holds about 10 mins of charge, went NE peripherals to got a new charger as that was fucked and they tried to sell me one for 45.

The fan will probably be going nuts due to shit tons of dust inside (duh!), I once got told to shove a sock over a hoover nozzle and place it up to any cavities (on the laptop) and it should be safe enough.

It's certainly worth a shot but by no means as simple as that. Urban topography and elevation will vary from site to site and positioning an indoor aerial is a nightmare because you can't micro-tune like you could on an analog tuner so unless you have a signal meter (certainly not cost effective) it's just pot luck on pinpointing a good consistent signal.

If you do get one i'd suggest a powered one as it can make a difference to the quality (in terms of less picture/sound break-up) to the MUXs that you can receive in your given location.

Is there a particular model you could recommend? Certain TV forums seem to suggest the Telecam TCE2001 is a safe bet.

Is there a particular model you could recommend? Certain TV forums seem to suggest the Telecam TCE2001 is a safe bet.

That's probably going to be a reasonable option.

We stock the Vivanco TVF16 AT 20 and have had pretty reasonable feedback for that model. Like i said though, any indoor aerial can be very hit or miss.

Guest Gladstone
How did Michael Jackson do that trick where he dances around, leans over forward 45 degrees and then leans back and carries on dancing?

I think it was on the Smooth Criminal video.

There was a hook on the back of his jacket, attached to some strings. Either edited out so you can't see it or not visible somehow. Can't remember the details.

Guest Gladstone
Recommendation all over FB is to buy in advance because it will sell out.

Okay - as I kind of thought it would be, but couldn't actually see a reference on FB as to where to buy the tickets!?

Worse still was an Aberdeen related game called "Walkin' the Mat".

It was shite to the nth degree.

The answers to pretty much all the questions were "The Aberdeen Tram system", "Kelly's Cats" or "Union Terrace Gardens".

This prompted me to look up shite Grampian TV quiz show Shammy Dab, and thankfully it's available on youtube. Starring national treasures Molly Weir and Johnny Beattie.

Also, The Art Sutter Show, quality Friday night chat from a pre-Johnathan Ross era. Starring, er, national treasures Molly Weir and Johnny Beattie.

Looking into booking flights and travel just to see how much it costs. I've got the bus to italy which took over 60 hours round trip so want to avoid that as much as possible. Whats the best way of finding cheap flights and finding what airports you want to depart and arrive from/to. I'm having trouble finding airports that match...

EDIT: Think i may have cracked this, yahoo answers woohoo! but any suggestions and advice will still be greatly appreciated.

Kayak.com