aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

Coaxial cable is usually used for sky dishes i believe, you can use an RF cable to link the tv to the socket in the wall.

It's exactly the same thing. Only difference usually is the type of connector on the end of the wire.

Soda Jerk:

You will need an aerial point on the wall (usually a female socket) or a cable coming out of the wall (usually a male plug). If you have a socket you will need a male plug to male plug aerial lead which will then plug into the female socket on the TV, if it's a cable coming out of the wall with a male plug it will plug directly into the female socket on the back of your TV.

You will then need to re-tune the digital tuner on your TV to make sure you are receiving the full compliment of stations available to you. How you do this depends greatly on the make and model of the TV in question (As JohnW said you will probably need to be on the DTV tuner to do this).

Worst case scenario will be using an indoor aerial which can be very hit or miss, in my experience more miss than hit.

Assuming that you have a roof aerial and it's not hanging off the roof in tatters you should have no problem receiving digital signals.

EBAY NIGHTMARE QUESTION

So I sold an amp on ebay. I paid extra for the delivery to insure it up to a certain value with the courier. It's arrived to the buyer and it's pretty fucked. The wood has come apart and it's almost ripped in two. The amp would rip in two if it was to be picked up by the handle. Was most certainly safe as a house when it left here, and it was packaged like a fucking tank.

Questions:

Am I forced into refunding him, despite it getting booted around by the courier not being my fault?

Am I liable to refund not only the value of the item, but the initial postage cost as well?

The item is insured for 250, though it sold for 275, which isn't too much of a big deal. Do I stand a chance of claiming back postage costs as well, not just for me sending it to him, but also him sending it back, depending on whether or not he gets pushy about me paying that too?

Fucking ebay is a pain in the cunt.

Pretty sure you'll have to refund him for the amp and the postage both ways, you should be able to claim the 250 cost and the postage back from the couriers though, provided they aren't cunts about it. Sucks though dude. I tend not to sell or buy bigger items on ebay, I've had a few things returned in the past that have been obliterated in transit.

The amp was packaged pretty solid. I had 25 metres of bubblewrap around it. It felt like a massive pillow. Couldn't even feel the amp. Then it was stuffed inside a hefty heavy duty box padded out with more bubblewrap and surplus cardboard, and wrapped up in about 20 miles worth of tape. No idea how I could have packaged it better than that without shelling it 150 for a flightcase.

Like you, I had to send it away. No one around here wanted it. I put it everywhere possible locally.

people are chancing bastards, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the boy did that himself.

Like you, I was also very cynical about it too. He seemed genuinely merked that it didn't come with a power cable, even though I advertised it pretty clearly as "HEAD ONLY".

I do find it almost impossible to believe that even a courier, as hell-bent on destruction and cuntery as they are, could damage the amp the way it was packaged.

I don't really have a leg to stand on though. eBay protects the fuck out of the buyer, but sellers are getting arseholed all the time.

Like you, I was also very cynical about it too. He seemed genuinely merked that it didn't come with a power cable, even though I advertised it pretty clearly as "HEAD ONLY".

I do find it almost impossible to believe that even a courier, as hell-bent on destruction and cuntery as they are, could damage the amp the way it was packaged.

I don't really have a leg to stand on though. eBay protects the fuck out of the buyer, but sellers are getting arseholed all the time.

I take they're sending the amp back to you? Not just keeping it in it's fucked state so they can fix it and sell it (if it's fixable, can't view the picture from work).

I don't really see how ebay can protect the seller in this situation. You insured it so the courier should refund the value you insured it to. It's not the buyer's fault it's been fucked by the courier so it's only right that they're not left out of pocket for goods they never receive.

Sucks for individual sellers but it should be the seller that takes on the risk in this situation, not the buyer.

Why does my laptop power readout say "0% available (plugged in, not charging). Why isn't it charging?

I'm using it plugged in and it's working fine, I pulled the plug out a second ago to see what would happen and it switched off. It's never done this before...

My laptop does this. It won't charge if it's overheating, don't think this applies to just Macs.

Situation sucks but I can't really see any reason why the buyer would go to the hassle of deliberatly breaking it. He's now going to have to pack it back up again and all that shit.

The reason I'm cynical is because he didn't tell me it was broken right away. His original beef was that it didn't come with a power cable, and claimed the item wasn't as described cosmetically, saying it was dirty and worn, which I described the very beaten aesthetic condition in the advert, and included pictures. Wasn't until the third message where he said it was nearly breaking in half. I thought that was a bit odd.

Right, you garbage eating stinkbags.

I have a TV that has built in Freeview, right. I've never used the Freeview. Infact the TV has never been connected to any sort of TV signal. Freeview, Sky, or otherwise. It's about time I started watching television again. There's only so many times I can keep watching repeats of 30 Rock before I swim to the states and propose to Tina Fey.

Ahem. My point is, how do I make freeview work? The TV is a few years old so don't ask me where the instructions are. What do I need? Does it plug into the aerial socket in the wall? and if so, is there a certain kind of cable I need?

If it's any use, it's a Technika TV, from Tesco I believe.

For reason's I haven't quite fathomed, I have to re-tune my TV's in-built Freeview channels every so often, some days I switch on and they just aren't there no more, my wife just resorts to watching TV through the BT Vision box until I fix it again.. It's pretty easy to do, will be accessable through the menu function then just look for the channel tuning bit. I usually have to try a couple of the possibilities in my menu as I always without fail forget which choice it is.

For reason's I haven't quite fathomed, I have to re-tune my TV's in-built Freeview channels every so often, some days I switch on and they just aren't there no more, my wife just resorts to watching TV through the BT Vision box until I fix it again.. It's pretty easy to do, will be accessable through the menu function then just look for the channel tuning bit. I usually have to try a couple of the possibilities in my menu as I always without fail forget which choice it is.

How is the aerial split between the freeview TV and the BT Vision box?