aberdeen-music

Gear that you want

That's good news. One channel is fine as I plan on making some distortion pedals. What do you mean by it may lack headroom for clean sounds?

#ampnoob #annoysodajerk #pleasecanwehavetags

"Headroom" is the range of volumes you can run the amp at while retaining a clean sound. Being a valve amp, at some point it distorts just from having the volume turned up, and it being both 1-channel and 15-watts, this is presumably not very high.

I blame soda jerk.

And I like the sound I've seen other people get out of oranges. That's why I was looking at one of them. The tinys good enough to gig with, aren't they?

If you are looking to get an Orange I'd suggest the Jim Root Terror is more up your alley sound wise. It's based on the Rockerverb and correct me if I am wrong but I think that's what I remember Andy Williams of ETID fame using when I have seen them and his tone is boss. Also If you are going to be messing around with pedals a lot I'd suggest an amp with an FX loop and the tiny terror doesn't have one. The Dark Terror and Jim Root Terror do.

Of course with my massive AMT fetish I could just tell you to get an amp that can do a nice clean tone and has an FX loop and use an AMT preamp to get a nice Orange-y tone.  Unless you know exactly what you are going for sound wise I'd recommend an amp that can do quite a lot of stuff sound wise though like an HT5 etc. The Ironheart Studio and AMT Stonehead I am looking at fall exactly into that category - I will PM you some videos later when I get home. But seriously you are more than welcome to try my stuff. The AMT's are also ridiculously portable like the Tiny Terror and a hell of a lot more flexible. Plus they do have tube preamp pedals if you are intent on tube things whichsound great but they are £200+ so price may be an issue. I would certainly want to achieve a good tone that I liked with my amp and use distortion pedals as added experiments and not rely on them - as an amp or preamp will usually sound way better than pedals.

Edited by keeno

That's good news. One channel is fine as I plan on making some distortion pedals. What do you mean by it may lack headroom for clean sounds?

#ampnoob #annoysodajerk #pleasecanwehavetags

The general rule of thumb for most valve amps (especially single channel) is that the lower the wattage, the lower the volume has to be before you get that crunchy saturated sound from the valves being as hot as hobs. You'll get that at a lower volume on a 15watt amp than a 100watt amp which will stay sparkly clean even at obscene volumes. So if you're wanting super sparkly cleans, you might want to get something with a touch more power.

The general rule of thumb for most valve amps (especially single channel) is that the lower the wattage, the lower the volume has to be before you get that crunchy saturated sound from the valves being as hot as hobs. You'll get that at a lower volume on a 15watt amp than a 100watt amp which will stay sparkly clean even at obscene volumes. So if you're wanting super sparkly cleans, you might want to get something with a touch more power.

well if i'm getting finance I might as well for a more powerful thing, as I really want some sparkly cleans. Cheers guy.

I've never used a TT, so I'm only going on the basis that low wattage amps tend to break up at much lower volumes. Probably best trying some out yourself and see what works best for you.

Might do that. It'll be a while before I get one. And I'm going to glasgow in march. Might head to guitar guitar and shoot the shit.

• 4 weeks later...

No-one got any GAS for a month?  I don't believe that for a second.

I tried to buy a Gibson Grabber 3 70s Tribute bass.  Twice.  Both were disappointing, the second one disastrously so.  It's being picked up on Monday and being returned for a refund.

I'm going to spend my refund on one of these:

epi_jc.jpg

I played one in R&B a couple of years ago, thought "meh" and put it back.  However, I've always loved the look of it, and I've seen heaps of vids on YouTube of people coaxing great tone out of them so perhaps it was the amp I was having a go through that let it down back then.

Vids of it sounding great (to my ears anyway):

• 4 weeks later...