aberdeen-music

Something I learned today

waltz

There is actually words that rhyme with "orange" and also with "silver". I always believed there wasn't.

Are there any words that rhyme with orange? : Oxford Dictionaries Online

However, neither are "perfect rhymes".

I still don't know of a word that rhymes with "purple".

not perfect but..... "Gurgle" "Hurdle" or "Circle"....maybe good enough for a lyric?

If someone rhymed frothing with nothing in a song, I would question the lyrical content more than the rhyme.

They certainly rhyme though.

A full and stressed rhyme (e.g. hand / stand) or even an unstressed rhyme (such as handing / standing) contain vowels that are common to both words

Both have -othing.

If someone rhymed frothing with nothing in a song, I would question the lyrical content more than the rhyme.

They certainly rhyme though.

Both have -othing.

You can only really consider the -thing part, because you have two different pronunciations of -o-.

They do rhyme though, but the rhyme is on an unstressed syllable so it is considered "feminine".

But if the vowel sound is the same, which is is in this case, then it is still a 'full' rhyme.

Unless I say Purple and Hirple differently to you lot as well.

The last vowel sound is the -pill at the end. It rhymes regardless of how you pronounce the hir- or the pur- parts.

What people are forgetting here is that it's the last vowel sound on the last syllable that's important

Well that's true for an "improper rhyme", otherwise that rule would suggest "something" rhymes with "nothing" which it doesn't completely. A perfect rhyme must have identical vowel sounds throughout the entire word.

The first vowel sound in Purple and Hirple are the same though, right? I'm not saying them in some strange Yorkshire twang, am I?