aberdeen-music

New gear 2010

Old Gold

And I'm yet to see or hear ANYONE play super-low tuned djent music do anything constructive with the high strings at all, never mind the high strings beyond the 18th fret.

Exactly my thoughts. We are a sludge band and we were originally playing in B. We shifted to Drop C as the guitarist couldn't get his guitar to stay in tune and amps were farting out.

The highest we play is the 9th fret on the third string. I could easily use a 3 string bass, I never touch the high string. Oddly enough I have to check it is in tune though.

Assuming you want to tune ridiculously low (let's say F standard, which is) your high E string is still going to be an Bb, which isn't really that low.

And I'm yet to see or hear ANYONE play super-low tuned djent music do anything constructive with the high strings at all, never mind the high strings beyond the 18th fret.

I don't want to tune that low... it's a lot of effort faffing around with getting custom string setups that i cba with for now. It's gonna be bad enough trying to find a .72 string on it's own, I'm pretty sure that's a baritone string, which I'm not sure will be sold seperately. Atm it's only tuned to E then standard 7 string tuning, cos I find it easier with my crappy tuner. Not sure i'd want to go any lower, and might take if back up to standard when I've had a chance to play it

Extended range instruments aren't just for djent either... I'd love to try learn some Scale the Summit stuff (although their tab book is tabbed for 7 strings! Not that they use the 8th string much anyway).

Exactly my thoughts. We are a sludge band and we were originally playing in B. We shifted to Drop C as the guitarist couldn't get his guitar to stay in tune and amps were farting out.

I think you've partly illustrated the point there. Can get a heavy tone without tuning really low and having that problem.

Not really, he could've had the nut modified if we were serious about playing in B.

Still, I like having the range without needing to downtune, And just using overdrive to make your sound heavier leads to muddy guitar tones which I can't stand. I've seen a few local bands dong that, and it's just not my preference, but each to their own.

Still, I like having the range without needing to downtune, And just using overdrive to make your sound heavier leads to muddy guitar tones which I can't stand. I've seen a few local bands dong that, and it's just not my preference, but each to their own.

Fuck distortion pedals......

Valve distortion is the way forward!

And just using overdrive to make your sound heavier leads to muddy guitar tones which I can't stand. I've seen a few local bands dong that, and it's just not my preference, but each to their own.

Actually using an overdrive pedal (eg a tubescreamer) with the gain backed off should tighten up your sound, as it compresses the bass a little harder an adds a bit more in the upper mid-range.

Although probably a lot of the people you are referring to use ass-cabbage amps with the bass and gain maxed out, and with crap guitars that are played poorly and tuned down low to disguise the fact that the riffs are shit... and that is why it sounds muddy.

But the main reason for using an overdrive pedal in front of the amp's distortion is to make it LESS muddy. :up:

I've used a maxon OD808 as well as valve distortion for years.

Fuck distortion pedals......

Valve distortion is the way forward!

Nothing wrong with enhancing valve crunch with pedals. Valve's can't do it all on their own either. Overdrive channels have their limit, which sometimes you want to go beyond. Like if you want a violent, out of control Fuzz tone, or just a bit of boost in grunt with a light OD setting.

Actually using an overdrive pedal (eg a tubescreamer) with the gain backed off should tighten up your sound, as it compresses the bass a little harder an adds a bit more in the upper mid-range.

Although probably a lot of the people you are referring to use ass-cabbage amps with the bass and gain maxed out, and with crap guitars that are played poorly and tuned down low to disguise the fact that the riffs are shit... and that is why it sounds muddy.

But the main reason for using an overdrive pedal in front of the amp's distortion is to make it LESS muddy. :up:

I've used a maxon OD808 as well as valve distortion for years.

If only we all had Blackmachines! (not sarcasm, just jealousy:P). Thanks for the info though, they're not something I've used, but might look into it. i do think you probably have the best tone for a metal player up here so that advice is useful. I've only seem them cranked up to the max by all these copycat bands trying to have a 'br00tally heavy' sound

Can respect all your opinions and what not but holy fuck what happened to standard tune or drop b,plug in,play and strut your funky stuff?

To muh of your type polluting YouTube with videos of you playing Blue suede shoes through 1000 watts and gleaming pedals that only dent your wallet and cause alot of hassle.

My opinion means bugger all mind you so ignore.

I like my music played through ass cabbage amps and dirty as fuck.

... Opinions,arseholes yaddy yadda

One mans Picasso is another mans Banksy. ;-)

Very true :)

I guess I'm more thinking with regards to people coming into the shop, describing the sound they want to achieve, so I give the relevant pedal/hook them up to the relevant amp that will have the same core properties to get - somewhat - close (obviously can never prefectly replicate) and then they completely kill it with hopeless EQing.

All personal preference right enough, but I just sometimes wonder. Especially when I know the aim :up:

Very true :)

I guess I'm more thinking with regards to people coming into the shop, describing the sound they want to achieve, so I give the relevant pedal/hook them up to the relevant amp that will have the same core properties to get - somewhat - close (obviously can never prefectly replicate) and then they completely kill it with hopeless EQing.

All personal preference right enough, but I just sometimes wonder. Especially when I know the aim :up:

In that respect I can totally dig on your vibes :up:

Equipment snobbery isn't for me so I'm going to go watch some Early Carcass and Repulsion videos and perform the michael hutchence special move.

I remember seeing some kid trying out a Mesa single rec in Sound Control in Manchester. He said he didn't like the distortion channel, so demanded to use a Boss Metal Zone. He scopped the mids right off, and every palm mute sounded like a rumbling fart.

I guess shit tone to someone can be great tone to someone else. Some folk just like it brash and harsh, and some like it more contoured and refined. I just like it loud and silly.

Wife and I tried one of those out in R&B when I was taking a peek around at Tele's, wife loved it, I personally have to admit that I wasn't all that taken with it even though I used to have real bad GAS for an Ibanez SAS (I loved the SAS36 with trans grey and the funky pearlescent binding).

I'll be damned if they don't look hot as fuck though, especially when it'd fit perfect with my wife's guitar collection... purpleburst Gibson SG Goddess, purple Ibanez S520ex and purple sparkle Yamaha RBX170 Bass. :up:

Sounds good man... did you get your 421 for cheap? Those things are wicked but very pricey for essentially a slightly different SM57!

I'd highly recommend Massey Tapehead plug-in for vocals (and other things). High-end plug-ins for Pro Tools

Awesome plug-in and super cheap.

The Massey L2007 limiter and CT4 compressor is also very highly rated.

You can demo them all for free, but you'll want to buy them in the end because they are very good but the fact that you can't use them in bypass mode on the demo versions is annoying (and fair enough seeing they are free!)

Yeah man, amazingly cheap. I picked it up for 160 to my door from eBay. I was sceptical that it'd work... but it does. It sounds really really nice. I'm gonna try it out on a drum kit on Monday night. I'll eventually get round to using it on a cab with a 57 once I've got myself a good DI and Re-amp box. I'm just aquiring stuff just now.

I was close to getting myself an SM7, but I figured the AT4033a (recommended at the Sneap forum as being good for most things) & Auto Tune was a better deal for me in the long term. How you finding your SM7 Dan?

I've got a couple of the Massey demos. I'm gonna fork out for the 2007 Limiter at some point.

I got some Slate stuff as well. Fuckin awesome. Really makes a difference to mixes. I've also been learning how to process them correctly.