aberdeen-music

New gear 2010

Old Gold

Never mind dude, a lot of great books were written in jail.

Or was it a lot of great hooks were written on some crazy ass Nord, good stuff.

I want a Zvex NanoValve.

That looks like a crazy little thing.

I'm swithering as to add the new Roland AX synth (keytar) to the list.

Buying one of these very soon:

1.jpg

I don't play bass, but it'll be useful for recording people. Sounds great.

Yeah they do sound great - the guy who plays bass in Citizens uses one and his just sounds like perfect punchy/ballsy bass tone if you're going for Desalvo/YoungWidows type sounds. Sure it can do more though.

How much was it? Think I'll get one if I start playing bass in a heavier band.

Yeah they do sound great - the guy who plays bass in Citizens uses one and his just sounds like perfect punchy/ballsy bass tone if you're going for Desalvo/YoungWidows type sounds. Sure it can do more though.

How much was it? Think I'll get one if I start playing bass in a heavier band.

Not bought it yet! But soon. It's around 140 including the shipping I believe.

While you're here actually Huw, you've got a Blackstar HT-5 eh? What are your thoughts? I need more recording amps y'see and I'm jonesing for some low wattage beauties.

Aye, his bass is a beauty as well.

Yep. Is it a Ripper or a Grabber... I forget. Lovely nonetheless. I believe our resident hoarder Scotty B has one too.

Not bought it yet! But soon. It's around 140 including the shipping I believe.

While you're here actually Huw, you've got a Blackstar HT-5 eh? What are your thoughts? I need more recording amps y'see and I'm jonesing for some low wattage beauties.

Nah don't have a HT5, got the HT dual pedal. Which is basically the HT5 in a pedal. Good bit of kit. My only gripe is the voicing of the channels are quite different. The first channel sounds so great but it sucks a lot of bass out, the second one has more bass, but it just doesn't have as nice a voicing.

It has what is effectively a guitar DI which is cool. Dying to hear if it sounds any good!

Yep. Is it a Ripper or a Grabber... I forget. Lovely nonetheless. I believe our resident hoarder Scotty B has one too.

Nah don't have a HT5, got the HT dual pedal. Which is basically the HT5 in a pedal. Good bit of kit. My only gripe is the voicing of the channels are quite different. The first channel sounds so great but it sucks a lot of bass out, the second one has more bass, but it just doesn't have as nice a voicing.

It has what is effectively a guitar DI which is cool. Dying to hear if it sounds any good!

Ahhh, my bad, I thought you had that amp for some reason. I've heard the pedals are sexcellent! I'd be interested to hear the DI - most sound fairly lifeless and dull.

So much gear to buy. I'm buying a Royer R121 this summer which is going to pretty much make me financially decrepit, but I wants it so.

had the tsl head for a while, but just got these two 30th anniversary straight cabs (:

Image690.jpg

Just out of interest, why did you decide to get two cabs? It does look pretty cool, but surely on a local gigging it isn't entirely necessary? If anything I would have though in places like Tunnels/Drummonds you'd end up losing a lot of your tone by not being able to crank the amp due to the stage volume being too high? Maybe I'm wrong though.

Not having a go at you if it's sounds like that, just genuinely wondering why you decided to go with two cabs rather than saving the money on the second and getting a really good head/distortion pedal etc etc.

When I've used two cabs, I've never noticed an increase in volume. Technically, there should be no volume increase, as you are still putting the same power into the cabinets, but sharing the load between the two. I've done it purely to get more presence in my tone, making it thicker, sounding less restrained, and just a bit more ballsy. It also helps if you put one cab at each side of the drum kit, if you've got a speaker lead long enough. Makes you guitar tone fill the room!

I think the main reason he got both, is because blain ex-dead end sold them as a pair to fund his matamp order,

Got a good price for both cabs too!

A few grader/dead end shows we've run two 4x12 full stacks.

not necessary, but certainly not a hindrance.

Ahh right! That makes sense. It does look fucking cool as well.

Ex-Dead End?! That band has been through a shed-load of members.

When I've used two cabs, I've never noticed an increase in volume. Technically, there should be no volume increase, as you are still putting the same power into the cabinets, but sharing the load between the two. I've done it purely to get more presence in my tone, making it thicker, sounding less restrained, and just a bit more ballsy. It also helps if you put one cab at each side of the drum kit, if you've got a speaker lead long enough. Makes you guitar tone fill the room!

I have notice with bigger bass stacks that you get a lot more presence which is what I like! Yeah running them in stereo would be the way forward, especially for a 3 -piece. We should start doing that.

yeah, as fraser said i got a really good deal on them, plus i did some research and turns out they were only made for the 30th anniversary year (1992) in limited numbers, so if i keep them in decent condition i'm hoping they'll be worth something, plus if someone was looking out for them in particular i'm pretty sure they'd be willing to pay more than 250 for one, so it was as much a financial move as anything else - slightly ironic in the sense that i now have 62p in my bank account until the end of the month. fantastic.

for gigging i reckon i'd only take one, or let the other guitarist in my band run through the other one as he's only got a 2x12 at the moment which - although probably more practical than a stack taller than me - doesn't quite look the same on stage as a 4x12.