aberdeen-music

New gear 2010

Old Gold

For the daft money that Tubescreamers go for, a more than reasonable substitute for a mere fraction of the price would be the Marshall Guvnor. One of very few OD pedals I've found that comes anywhere near the Tubescreamer. Infact, I actually prefer it. More bottom end, yet a tighter bass response. There's even one in Cash Converters right now for 30 plums.

Exactly!

As an alternative, I'm interested in either a mid 90's Russian Big Muff, or a brand new bass Big Muff, which is apparently modelled on the green Russian Big Muff.

Yeah, the bass Big Muff is ace, and it does sound a lot like my guitarists green tank. Ace pedal, I love mine to bits.

Bought a Hughes and Kettner swtichblade the other day, got an ISP Decimator for it, just wanting to get a TS9 to as a boost for it too.

Possible Wah pedal as well, was there not some people offering a few in this thread recently?

You can buy my wah if you want. It's a modded Jim Dunlop and it is great, but I never use it,

This month I got these

baja%20telecaster.jpg

229365.jpg

Blackstar_HT-Dual.png

And now I'm the most skint I've ever been in my life. The Godin was a total steal- 180 delivered off eBay with Seymour Duncan P90s. I fucking love Godins- they're amazing value for money. They have a beautiful archtop with a single P90 which sounds gorgeous. Next on my list is a new bass head and a small valve combo- possibly the Blackstar HT-5 or a Fender Blues Junior. Anything else similarly priced worth considering?

This month I got these

baja%20telecaster.jpg

229365.jpg

Blackstar_HT-Dual.png

And now I'm the most skint I've ever been in my life. The Godin was a total steal- 180 delivered off eBay with Seymour Duncan P90s. I fucking love Godins- they're amazing value for money. They have a beautiful archtop with a single P90 which sounds gorgeous. Next on my list is a new bass head and a small valve combo- possibly the Blackstar HT-5 or a Fender Blues Junior. Anything else similarly priced worth considering?

Baja Tele? Fancy one of those myself, nice one.

I find most PRS stuff to be way too blingy in an antique furntiture guitar way, although that is an easy position to take when you can't afford them I grant you. Thought the Starla looked nicest, but you can't knock them on quality, and at least you aren't buying it mainly as an investment, but to play.

Nice Colour.

I can't decide whether to add this to my collection or not yet:

28577_505053704563_339200132_159475_3535441_n.jpg

10 top Custom 22 with Dragon IIs.

It plays great and sounds awesome.

I love the teal as well.

Thoughts?

(Not that it'll change my decision I guess)

I'm sure they are great playing and sounding guitars, they just look too "fancy" for my liking. Never actually played one though.

Baja Tele? Fancy one of those myself, nice one.

Indeed. The thick neck and 4 way pickup selector are two of my favourite features. The S-1 switching system probably won't see much use but it's nice to know it's there. Really versatile example of a Tele.

I have S-1 on my deluxe ash tele. it's very subtle. So subtle in fact that I was convinced mine wasn't wired properly for a while.

Hmm, there's definitely a very audible difference when it's activated on mine, although it's only in certain selector positions. It just totally hollows out the sound and cuts quite a bit of the bottom end out. I do really like it but it's not something I can see myself using often, although that's probably because position 1 (the one that's normally the neck pickup) is so nice- I think it's the neck and bridge in series but not 100%. It sounds a bit fatter than the other positions- can't get enough of it.

I find most PRS stuff to be way too blingy in an antique furntiture guitar way, although that is an easy position to take when you can't afford them I grant you

pretty much exactly my thoughts on PRS as well, however i recently spotted the 'Mira X' model, which i guess is bit like the 'studio' in the gibson les paul range - pretty much the same guitar without all the unnecessary things which make them so unreasonably expensive. reckon it might be my next buy, i've seen them going new for 899, and in my opinion it's actually cooler than most other PRS guitars i've seen.

front.jpg

From playing one they seem to be over priced still, they went from justifiably high priced to over priced. They are all nice guitars but that one is just over priced for what you get.

yeah i haven't actually played one yet, i was hoping to have a search around the music shops in glasgow later this month in the hope of having a shot. i was basically just investigating some alternatives to a gibson (which i originally planned on buying), and i've heard really good things about the mira x. i think it looks amazing too, i'm all about minimalist design.

I saw this for sale and thought about it all week before deciding that I fancied some semi hollow piezo bass action - so enter an Italia Maranello Z.

italia.jpg

It came with some disgustingly high tension Fender flats on it, a set of lovely low tension TI Jazz flats should be arriving tomorrow to make it playable (to me at least).

Despite the horrible strings, I quite like the sound although its treble response is mental high - I tried some roundwound strings and it was finger squeak city, the piezo is far too sensitive for that.

• Upvote 1

I wasn't considering the PRS for aesthetics, I rate them on playability and sound. :)

Playability and sound are first and foremost when buying a guitar BUT I also want it to look cool, especially if I'm paying over a grand for it. :) Sorry if that makes me shallow, but I spend half my life drooling at guitars, and ultimately a lot of the time that's down to the way they look.

Of course a lot of this comes down to our favourite players too, and I guess if Mark Knopfler started playing a PRS I might start to be interested. As it stands they just don't say "rock and roll" to me in the way that, say, a Cherry Sunburst Les Paul does.

Horses for courses, if everybody played the same guitar it would be fucking boring.

Playability and sound are first and foremost when buying a guitar BUT I also want it to look cool, especially if I'm paying over a grand for it. :) Sorry if that makes me shallow, but I spend half my life drooling at guitars, and ultimately a lot of the time that's down to the way they look.

Of course a lot of this comes down to our favourite players too, and I guess if Mark Knopfler started playing a PRS I might start to be interested. As it stands they just don't say "rock and roll" to me in the way that, say, a Cherry Sunburst Les Paul does.

Horses for courses, if everybody played the same guitar it would be fucking boring.

Oh don't get me wrong I'm the same without a doubt! The look of it does definitely matter! More what I was meaning was that I'd take a guitar that sounded 9/10 and played 9/10 but looked 7/10 than one that looked 10/10 but sounded and played 7/10 if that makes sense.

:up: