aberdeen-music

TV Series!!

DJ Jo-D

I actually really hate the character of Carrie.

I've mentioned this before but she's the worst thing about the show. Totally ruins any plausibility (which is, admittedly, little) the show had. There's no way a character like that would be anywhere near covert work or the kind of security clearance she obviously has. It makes for occasionally good telly but if the CIA actually worked like she does they'd be utterly fucked. I hate the painfully crowbarred in backstory and personality (like her awkward jazz references) as well. Terrible character.

I've mentioned this before but she's the worst thing about the show. Totally ruins any plausibility (which is, admittedly, little) the show had. There's no way a character like that would be anywhere near covert work or the kind of security clearance she obviously has. It makes for occasionally good telly but if the CIA actually worked like she does they'd be utterly fucked. I hate the painfully crowbarred in backstory and personality (like her awkward jazz references) as well. Terrible character.

Yes, I don't know if it's supposed to be a well hammy symbol of her broken-but-brilliant-mentality or something, but the sporadic jazz references are really cringeworthy.

Before it started I had been expecting season 2 of homeland really go downhill but then after seeing the first 3 episodes I thought I'd got it wrong. But then it really did go to shit. Still entertaining but in ridiculous ways that drag the quality down and really just make it about seeing what happens next. I dread to think what season 3 might hold.

Some specific problems I have with it

The whole Finn and Dana hit and run story. fuck off.

Abu Nazir was supposed to be some high level terrorist no one could keep track of, moving around the middle east. Now him and Carrie are chasing each other around an abandoned mill. What the hell?

for being such a pivotal event in the story I didn't really feel anything when Nazir died.

If you're going to try and tease us that Brody might get killed, don't tell us all that he's signed up for season 3 already.

My thoughts exactly.

Also agree about the Carrie bashing. I get shot down when I say it to my GF but when she comes running and screaming up to a professional CIA agent with tears running down her face and barks knee-jerk orders at him, in real life he'd laugh and tell her to 'jog on petal'

She was a fantastic character in season one. Back when she was aware that she should try and keep her craziness hidden as much as possible. No that it seems like she can get away with being a lunatic because she was right about Brody it's all just a bit silly.

Also I always liked to think that her relationship with Brody was totally calculated and she only wanted to get close as a way of stopping him. But that's pretty much impossible now.

Homeland

read if you've seen the season finale

What absolute shite. Seriously can't believe how bad that was. Half an episode of boring shit I couldn't care less about and then just a completely ridiculous second half that completes the total 180 degree change the show has made this season. For most of the season I've accepted the show was moving to a straight thriller as I was enjoying the show at least but this was too far.

And,um, the president really wasn't at the memorial himself?

It is very good. From Wiki:

Generation Kill is a British-American television miniseries produced for HBO, based on the book of the same name by Evan Wright about his experience as an embedded reporter with the U.S. Marine Corps' 1st Reconnaissance Battalion during the 2003 invasion of Iraq. It was adapted for television by David Simon and Ed Burns. The series premiered on July 13, 2008 and spanned seven episodes. It was produced by Andrea Calderwood.

Just finished Sons of Anarchy season 1. The first half of it was just fairly standard "outlaw bikers are outlaws" chat, but the latter half of the series actually developed into a pretty good plot line. Really enjoyed it. Recommended.

Keep watching. Just finished season 5. It's almost as epic as the Sopranos

• 3 weeks later...