aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

Not trying to start an argument, I'm sure we're basically on the same side, but I just thought your initial statement that people borrowing a 'minuscule' amount of £150 made you laugh was questionable. So I questioned it. It's easy to be derisive when you have your own affairs in order, I just wanted to point out that a lot of people are genuinely struggling to be so organised. For some people the difference between incomings and outgoings is a weekly knife edge balancing act that can easily tip the wrong way. Going to the bank seems like the obviously more sensible solution, but to some that's not an option. Obviously if they haven't got a perfect credit record, very often the banks just won't take the risk to help them. So their only option is to look elsewhere, for companies who will take risk, albeit at a higher cost. And they're not being helped by these companies that sell their loans as being 'quick, and simple' (adverts with thinks like people snapping their fingers and a new washing machine magically appears, "a few clicks on their website, and the cash was mine!" etc etc) - it's no surprise that a lot of people are tempted by these ads when an extra hundred or so would make a big difference, and they have no other option.

I agree, I think it takes a lot of effort to be organised and not let things like this happen. Same with anything. I do think there are short courses available all around the place that can help folk to budget properly too. Just basic cash inflows and outflows, etc. I'll leave it at this, loans are very dangerous to get involved with, I'd rather sell everything I own than go near one. Also yeah, it can be really misleading them saying it's quick and easy. Yeah sure it's quick and easy to get the money but repayments aren't so much.

They're not easy repayments if you dodge them and let gather huge fines and such. When you take one of these loans, you choose the date you get paid again and put in your card details. It takes it. Easy. You're shown how much you have to pay back and exactly when by. Very easy, so long as you're not an irresponsible dick.

I'm actually not sure how people manage to miss the payment for a pay day loan, as it is set up as a scheduled debit card payment as soon as you take the loan out. I have no idea how you can stop that, other than taking all your money out of your account before the payment triggers, or lying about when your next pay date is, and not having the money to cover it.

They're not easy repayments if you dodge them and let gather huge fines and such. When you take one of these loans, you choose the date you get paid again and put in your card details. It takes it. Easy. You're shown how much you have to pay back and exactly when by. Very easy, so long as you're not an irresponsible dick.

I'm actually not sure how people manage to miss the payment for a pay day loan, as it is set up as a scheduled debit card payment as soon as you take the loan out. I have no idea how you can stop that, other than taking all your money out of your account before the payment triggers, or lying about when your next pay date is, and not having the money to cover it.

Or you actually don't have the money to repay it.

Is there a legitimate reason why financial education isn't standard in schools? I cannot stress enough how much this would have benefitted me in my late teens/early twenties.

I don't think that kids that are dreaming of a perfect job or limitless earning potential would be particularly bothered about how to avoid getting fucked over by a credit card when they're scraping minimum wage.

• Upvote 1

Is there a legitimate reason why financial education isn't standard in schools? I cannot stress enough how much this would have benefitted me in my late teens/early twenties.

It definitely should be. For all the greief they get for other things, RBS do a great programme in schools called Moneysense, but there's unfortunately not the resource allocated to it to roll it out to everyone. That being said, I'm pretty sure that the materials that they use are made avilable to teachers and schools who want to roll them out themselves

1. People who buy scratch cards infront of you in the cue - Dicks

2. People who dont indicate whenst driving - Dicks

3. People, who dont let you out at T junctions ( ? ) when its clearly ok to do so ( lets face it girls, its moslty you ) - Dicks ( when driving a car ...sometimes )

4. Heston Blumenthal - Dick