aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

Outwith the International relations that exsist purely because of the Royal family and continue to exsist because of them, they generate billions for this country every year, have you ever been to London? Ever been near the Royal Palace? The place is fucking hoaching with tourists from all over the world every single day of the week, people travelled from every corner of the world to be in the UK this week, the money generated from this Jubilee will out weight the costs. Bunting aside, your talking about millions of people spending a lot of money in our country on everything Monarch related.

Right, because all of this money is going to trickle down to the average British person? The same argument was about the Royal Wedding last year. "Oh, it's just one day, lots of people will spend money on royal family related things, therefore the economy'll get going again!"

In three months time everything will be back to normal. We'll still have a (relatively) high unemployment rate, a partially privatised NHS and hundreds of thousands of people living below the poverty line. The reason that I'm criticising the whole thing is because it's a celebration of a family that get special privileges by virtue of being in that family. I didn't think it would be such a radical position to take to say that celebration of privilege in 2012 is horrible.

• Upvote 3

Maybe doctors on £100-odd grand a year threatening to strike for losing a bit of their pension pot could rethink and help out the NHS?

I'd blame that on the fact that there was no effective political opposition, rather than the doctors themselves. Next to no medical organisations/unions/etc actually supported the NHS privatisation.

Right, because all of this money is going to trickle down to the average British person? The same argument was about the Royal Wedding last year. "Oh, it's just one day, lots of people will spend money on royal family related things, therefore the economy'll get going again!"

look at spoonie's link. because of the royals we save £2.60 a year in taxes.

I didn't think it would be such a radical position to take to say that celebration of privilege in 2012 is horrible.

you weren't anti-party, you were being anti-monarchy. which is an entirely different thing. I can assume most people thought spending all that money on a party instead of decent causes was stupid.

you weren't anti-party, you were being anti-monarchy. which is an entirely different thing. I can assume most people thought spending all that money on a party instead of decent causes was stupid.

I think the Jubilee celebration was disgusting. I also happen to think that the Royal Family are an outdated institution that offer no value to the ordinary person. I also think that these two beliefs are related. If most people thought that spending the amount of money that was spent on the Jubilee was stupid, then they'd be agreeing with me, surely?

• Upvote 2

You're right, the money would never be used for anything as worthwhile as that, but isn't that fact alone pretty disgusting? There's all this money apparently going spare to pay for this unnecessary spectacle, yet we're living in an economically fucked country where all the means of helping those who need it

Thats a different argument, and one i actually agree on to an extent. But if you were to get rid of the Jubilee, we should be looking at cancelling the Olympics and anything even remotely similar, and not just in this country all around the world. There are fundamental problems in society one being that we have some people very rich and others very poor, why are we not looking at those with millions stashed away that they will never spend and asking them to do more, or looking at why footballers get paid crazy sums of money where as the people paying their wages make less in their life time than these guys make in a year. There are so many things you could look at, but blaming the royal family is just a cop out as far as im concerned.

Thanks for that, but the jubilee is not a small event, its a world wide thing. Celebrated by hundreds of millions.

that has nothing to do with what i posted, you said that if the jubilee was cancelled then all major sporting events would be cancelled worldwide. which is a completely illogical argument.

that has nothing to do with what i posted, you said that if the jubilee was cancelled then all major sporting events would be cancelled worldwide. which is a completely illogical argument.

No i didnt. My point was, why are we not questioning the millions, probably billions spent on the olympics, or the millions england spent trying to win a world cup, where are the posters about what that money could have been spent on instead of what it was spent on? You could apply this argument to any major event that happens, they all cost and generate money to their own levels, but all of this money could have been spent on the NHS or the homeless or anything similar. Its easy to have a go at the Monarch when you dont care about it, would you have the same argument as a football fan when someone claims the world cup should be cancelled because the money could be spent saving people?

I think the Jubilee celebration was disgusting. I also happen to think that the Royal Family are an outdated institution that offer no value to the ordinary person. I also think that these two beliefs are related. If most people thought that spending the amount of money that was spent on the Jubilee was stupid, then they'd be agreeing with me, surely?

read what i said above. we each save £2.60 a year!!!

I think the idea of the Jubilee is fucking retarded, I hate the royal family and everything they represent about this country. BUT, although I don't know the figures, I'd be willing to wager that the government's outgoings this weekend were out-weighed by the good done for the economy.

A percentage from all the money folk spent on plastic hats and flags will go right back into the tax fund that paid for the whole wretched affair. I would be very surprised if the country made a loss here. Same for the Olympics.

/2p

xx

Maybe doctors on £100-odd grand a year threatening to strike for losing a bit of their pension pot could rethink and help out the NHS?

Maybe the misinformed people who make statements like this should spend 10 minutes on the NHS job site to find out how much consultants earn? Bear in mind they also pay 40% income tax on everything over £34k so it is nowhere near as sweet a deal as you think. That's not even counting national insurance and the 12% pension contribution which every sane person makes. As public sector employees, there ain't no way of escaping it using tax loopholes like a lot of private sector high earning workers do either.

It's not just 'losing a 'bit' of pension' either. It is being forced to work 8 years more (raising retirement age from 60 to 68), pay nearly twice as much in contributions AND end up with around £200 000 less in your pension pot after 40 years of serving the public. The pension deal was also only renegotiated less than 4 years ago for the exact same reason.

http://nhsg.engageats.co.uk/ has the current job vacancies and the salaries. You can earn extra various ways but these are due to working nights/weekends/overtime etc. It is not free money. Under the European Working Time Directive, doctors are also not supposed to work more than 48 hours a week but many do unpaid overtime to help get things done. Your duty of care does not end when the clock reaches the end of your shift.

Also for the record. Doctors get paid more in a lot of countries. Why do you think so many healthcare workers clear off to Australia etc? It's not just about the weather ;) For the record I think a lot of the other frontline staff are underpaid (auxliaries, nurses etc) and again they earn more in other countries. I know a lot of nurses who have gone to or are thinking of going off to Australia for the same reason.

• Upvote 7

I really enjoyed seeing Keeno systematically destroy Plinth's somewhat flippant comment. Excellent.

Yeah, the Jubilee was a pain in the arse for me. And for all the people that buy bunting etc, there's a lot of damage done to businesses who have reduced trading/can't deal with the banks due to closure. Not really as straightforward as saying it pays itself back.

No i didnt. My point was, why are we not questioning the millions, probably billions spent on the olympics, or the millions england spent trying to win a world cup, where are the posters about what that money could have been spent on instead of what it was spent on? You could apply this argument to any major event that happens, they all cost and generate money to their own levels, but all of this money could have been spent on the NHS or the homeless or anything similar. Its easy to have a go at the Monarch when you dont care about it, would you have the same argument as a football fan when someone claims the world cup should be cancelled because the money could be spent saving people?

Yes, you're right, you could make this argument for any major event. But the monarchy and the Olympics are two totally different things. The monarchy is given millions of pounds in money each year for simply existing. Over the last few days large parts of the country have danced with glee, celebrating the fact that a woman is still alive. I really don't see what's worth celebrating over. The Olympics is a group of people competing at sport. (for what it's worth I'm not convinced it's a great idea)

Yes, you're right, you could make this argument for any major event. But the monarchy and the Olympics are two totally different things. The monarchy is given millions of pounds in money each year for simply existing. Over the last few days large parts of the country have danced with glee, celebrating the fact that a woman is still alive. I really don't see what's worth celebrating over. The Olympics is a group of people competing at sport. (for what it's worth I'm not convinced it's a great idea)

They also generate millions and millions for just existing. You dont see what its worth, but millions adore the Royal family.

For what its worth, im no Royalist, i dont really care one way or the other, we as a society have fundamental problems, especially when it comes to spending money on things like this, but the Royal family are not to blame for the poverty in this country, nor has this event left our country with millions of debt we need to clear countary to what is being banded about.

They also generate millions and millions for just existing. You dont see what its worth, but millions adore the Royal family.

What millions and millions is this? Where does this money go? What benefit has anyone ever gained from the Royal Family? The money earned from people buying things to do with them doesn't go to normal people!

For what its worth, im no Royalist, i dont really care one way or the other, we as a society have fundamental problems, especially when it comes to spending money on things like this, but the Royal family are not to blame for the poverty in this country, nor has this event left our country with millions of debt we need to clear countary to what is being banded about.

I never said they were to blame for poverty. That's a totally different debate and one that might not be wise to get into!

What millions and millions is this? Where does this money go? What benefit has anyone ever gained from the Royal Family? The money earned from people buying things to do with them doesn't go to normal people!

So normal people do not run the hotels and hostels used this weekend? Normal people do not make the Royal branded products that have been bought? I could go on and on but im sure that gets the point across. Our country has benefited, you cannot quantify this benfit to each person as an induvidual as it doesnt work that way but as a nation we benefit from having a Royal family, even if you do not care for them, millions of people across the world love them and we generate money because of them.

I really enjoyed seeing Keeno systematically destroy Plinth's somewhat flippant comment. Excellent.

Yeah, the Jubilee was a pain in the arse for me. And for all the people that buy bunting etc, there's a lot of damage done to businesses who have reduced trading/can't deal with the banks due to closure. Not really as straightforward as saying it pays itself back.

Slightly off topic, but seen as you're here: Did you used to work in the now renamed card shop on Castlegate?

• Upvote 1

oh my god. READ SPOONIES LINK. it's not for existing. it's rent for land the family owns.