aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

Dry your eyes, the whole thing made a heap of money for shops and stuff so I can't really see how it's such a bad thing. The public splashed out on bunting, coronation chicken and silly plastic bowler hats with union jacks on them. The monarchy isn't as bad as you think you know. Would you rather have foreigners think we all live like the Queen or we are all a bunch of tracksuit wearing scallys who can't handle supermarket cider?

Mon the Queen!

..dry... dry my eyes? why didn't I think of that before? I feel a lot better now, thanks so much! I'm so glad that I know that it was all OK because the public bought lots of bunting. I will definitely take a far more positive view of the monarchy now that I know they encourage lots of people to buy plastic hats with union jacks on them. God bless the Queen, what a lady she is. What a gal. I'm going to celebrate my new found Britishness tonight by reading about the Empire!

• Upvote 2

I see. I should have known that. But I grew up in Abu Dhabi, where whenever they celebrated anything to do with Sheikh Zayed they gave everyone in the city a free Porsche, a helicopter and £2,000,000. They don't give no fucks about some fucking bunting.
  • Upvote 5

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/jun/04/jubilee-pageant-unemployed

not to mention the fact that the whole celebration is a total waste of money that could be used to benefit, you know, people who actually deserve some help. instead of celebrating a family for what, exactly? continuing to exist? waaaaaaaaaay, the queen's still alive! let's celebrate the sixtieth anniversary of the death of a woman's father! yaaaaaaaaay! ISN'T IT ALL SUCH FUN.

If you think the same money used for the jubilee would have been used to save homeless people your dillusional. Its easy to have a go at the Monarch especially when you have no idea what they do for the country. I'm no Royalist, not at all, but this is just being used as another easy excuse for idiots to post pics of homeless people with stupid captions about saving them with the money that has been spent. Its all a bit pathetic really.

Its easy to have a go at the Monarch especially when you have no idea what they do for the country. I'm no Royalist, not at all, but this is just being used as another easy excuse for idiots to post pics of homeless people with stupid captions about saving them with the money that has been spent. Its all a bit pathetic really.

ok then, tell me, what exactly do they do for the country?

The fact you have to ask that backs up my point completely, do a bit of research on something before you start criticising it.

please don't be so patronising. i know the pro-monarchist arguments. if you can show me what benefits having a royal family brings to the UK then tell me. how much money do they bring in from tourism?

Yeah but there's that then bussing in unemployed people to work as stewards without pay while sleeping under a bridge. Not exactly very fucking regal is it?

I'd be wary about how much of that is strictly true, no where else has reported that at all, and on Radio 2 this morning they were talking about how they had to wait for a few hours under a bridge, nothing about having to spend the night sleeping under a bridge.

They bring in £200m to the treasury from the royal lands, set off against the £40m they cost the taxpayer. Plus tourist income but that's far more difficult to quantify because you can't tell who's here directly as a result of the royals.

http://cgpgrey.squarespace.com/blog/the-true-cost-of-the-royal-family-explained.html

I don't really care either way about the royals.

please don't be so patronising. i know the pro-monarchist arguments. if you can show me what benefits having a royal family brings to the UK then tell me. how much money do they bring in from tourism?

Outwith the International relations that exsist purely because of the Royal family and continue to exsist because of them, they generate billions for this country every year, have you ever been to London? Ever been near the Royal Palace? The place is fucking hoaching with tourists from all over the world every single day of the week, people travelled from every corner of the world to be in the UK this week, the money generated from this Jubilee will out weight the costs. Bunting aside, your talking about millions of people spending a lot of money in our country on everything Monarch related.

If you think the same money used for the jubilee would have been used to save homeless people your dillusional.

You're right, the money would never be used for anything as worthwhile as that, but isn't that fact alone pretty disgusting? There's all this money apparently going spare to pay for this unnecessary spectacle, yet we're living in an economically fucked country where all the means of helping those who need it, the NHS for example, are under threat. Are you criticising someone for daring to think that it's horrendous that we're essentially having a party and sticking our fingers in our ears instead of sorting out important things that could be salvaged?

Enough of that, I'm annoyed at myself for being sucked into this. When in doubt, Doug Stanhope...

• Upvote 3