aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

That used to get pluralised as well. Going down to Willie Lows for some messages.

I just called it WmLow, forget expanding it to William. Forget. That. Then it got turned into an Iceland, then an M&S Food shop and now it's a factory outlet clothes shop of some sort. There was a Presto too when I first moved to Morpeth then it went through the classic Safeway>Morrisons route. Yup. That's what happened to shops in the place I grew up.

You're Welcome, Everyone.

Sainsbury's and Morrisons yes.

He's right though, Tescos and Asdas do not exist. Neither does Chiquitos.

Very common in my home town of Killie - going for "messages" or "shoapin'" at Tescos, Prestos, Asdas or The Fine Fare - it always prefixed with "the".

Ahhh, good times, simpler times, nane o' this intermesh browsing online pish.

John Menzies ('menzeez') or John Menzies ('mingis')?

Ah, now, there's a toughie !

The shop was known as Menzees in Ayrshire, but the surname of the same spelling was prounounced Mingis in the area.

A bit like Garioch - it's generally Gee-ray up here, but the guy who ran the last team I played for, Jim Garioch, announced himself as Jim Gary-och.

She is a bitty aul'er than me.....and fae Torry. There could still be a Norco there that nobody bothered to shut down or buy out.

John Menzies ('menzeez') or John Menzies ('mingis')?

i call it mingis' as a piss take. like i say "twa minty's" for a couple of minutes.

:girl:

anyone hate place names that are pronounced nothing like they are spelled? findochty is a fine example. or foaggy loanin's (i forget the actual name of that place) sandend - "sanneyn"

Guest Gladstone
Ah, now, there's a toughie !

The shop was known as Menzees in Ayrshire, but the surname of the same spelling was prounounced Mingis in the area.

A bit like Garioch - it's generally Gee-ray up here, but the guy who ran the last team I played for, Jim Garioch, announced himself as Jim Gary-och.

Everyone called John Menzies menzeez, but I don't know if that was correct or just what everyone picked up. Anyone I've ever known / heard of (other than the guy John with all the shops) has been pronounced ming-ees.

And Garioch is definitely gee-ray!

Guest Gladstone
i call it mingis' as a piss take. like i say "twa minty's" for a couple of minutes.

:girl:

anyone hate place names that are pronounced nothing like they are spelled? findochty is a fine example. or foaggy loanin's (i forget the actual name of that place) sandend - "sanneyn"

Finzean is "fingin"

Fuck knows how or why, but it is.

That supermarket just up from the Music Hall must have been every single supermarket company ever at one point, I have no idea what it is now. An old mate of mine had his first post-school job on the tills there when it was 'Templetons'. He was working the day some guy came out of the Star and Garter and torched himself with petrol. He said the smell of burning flesh wafted right over Union Street, and he was sent on mop duties after customers were literally throwing up in the aisles.

True story.