aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

There's a whole thread about Bill Hicks. As I said in it, I discovered him on late night Channel 4 in about 1991 before anyone statred going on about him. I thought he was brilliant, and I did go on about him to everybody at the time. Haven't really watched any of his stuff for at least 1o years, but I would agree he's not particularly "relevant: these days, whatever that means, but his jokes are still funny. I would say he's about as relevent as Blazing Saddles or Life of Brian.

Moving swiftly on, my pet hate is fucking wacky students. I take a wee wander down to the pub to abuse their wireless internet connection, and shortly afterwards I'm surrounded by just about every cunting student in Aberdeen, all in fancy fucking dress. Bastards.

EDIT: Quiz night. Makes a wee bit more sense now.

Why the fuck are they in fancy dress for a quiz?? Is one of the rounds giving points for best fancy dress??

I've got a few Bill Hicks CDs and DVDs. He was a brilliant stand up, but not the messiah of comedy some people make him out to be.

It's almost getting to beatles-esque state of putting him on an unassailable pedastal. He was just a comedian.

Sandi Thom was going on about him in her EE column last week. So he must be cool.

I've got a few Bill Hicks CDs and DVDs. He was a brilliant stand up, but not the messiah of comedy some people make him out to be.

It's almost getting to beatles-esque state of putting him on an unassailable pedastal. He was just a comedian.

Sandi Thom was going on about him in her EE column last week. So he must be cool.

Thanks, I read it and I still can't believe it and I WANT to believe. Is the EE your stepping stone, Sandi? Are you back in the bucket with us crabs now?

Surely Hicks' death had quite an impact in his popularity being blown hugely out of proportion? I think alot of stand up comedians' material suffers from ageing badly. I really like Richard Pryor and Eddie Murphy, but their material certainly isn't as raw as it was at the time. More observational comedians of the modern day like Frankie Boyle and Peter Kay will probably age very badly, and in 15/20 years will have absolutely no appeal to a younger audience whatsoever.

Bill Hicks told good jokes. I like his delivery, as he comes across a little smug, and I often like that in a comedian. I also imagine that is why he's easy to dislike.

I remember finding out about his death. Danny Baker mentioned it on his ill-fated Radio 1 show. I was shocked and thought it was a joke. This was pre-internet and there was no real way to check something like that until you read about it later in a magazine or newspaper.

He really wasn't very well known at that time, it was only after his death and all the tribute shows and stuff were on the telly that he got any sort of recognition.

Living with my folks for a month and commuting to Aberdeen from Stoney again.

Hour and a half to get home from Holburn Street last night for fuck's sake. That was even with staying in the office until 5.30 so the worst of the traffic had passed.

String winders are handy.

You heard the man Chris, buy some string winders!

Living with my folks for a month and commuting to Aberdeen from Stoney again.

Hour and a half to get home from Holburn Street last night for fuck's sake. That was even with staying in the office until 5.30 so the worst of the traffic had passed.

I used to work one day a week in Stonehaven. Took an hour and 3 quarters to get back to Tillydrone thereabouts. A very long, depressing commute. Stagecoach is a bit pricey n'all.

I used to work one day a week in Stonehaven. Took an hour and 3 quarters to get back to Tillydrone thereabouts. A very long, depressing commute. Stagecoach is a bit pricey n'all.

That's a long time to spend on a bus each day.

I'm driving though so it should only be about half an hour to get home. Yesterday's holdup was due to 5 cars running into each other when they hit the queue for the jacknifed carling truck at Muchalls.

Too many people ping along the A90 and don't leave enough room to stop methinks.