aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

A few guys I know have applied for the police a several times and messed up on the tests, they're not the brightest bunch so that might be why, but you only get 3 tries don't you? One decided after he'd failed the second time to get a job doing something else for a while and leave it a year.

With his Enoch Powell-like views I'm sure John W will be Commissioner of the Met before too long.

Just occurred to me... you know exactly how much money i have every month, how much i make and spend.... hmm

i know that about many people, doesn't mean anything though. i wouldn't keep my job very long if i went around telling people confidential information.

99% of working in a bank is avoiding the potential for getting the sack. it's pretty crazy. sometimes i feel like i'm on total wipeout and i'm constantly being forced to redo that stupid wall thing that punches you in the nuts.

i know that about many people, doesn't mean anything though. i wouldn't keep my job very long if i went around telling people confidential information.

99% of working in a bank is avoiding the potential for getting the sack. it's pretty crazy. sometimes i feel like i'm on total wipeout and i'm constantly being forced to redo that stupid wall thing that punches you in the nuts.

I used to work for a big bank and they'd send in corporate ninjas disguised as cleaning crews to check our workstations to make sure we were compliant with confidentiality regulations. I got caught out a few times. They also wouldn't let anyone short of vice-pres rubber stamp big sum transfers so I'd have to go and cringe in his fucking office while he shouted at people on the phone. I don't miss it.

Except the money, that was fucking nice. In retrospect I can see why they were so fucking paranoid. Ha ha. Can we see the books, please?

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Cretins who say "I can only apologise". Yeah? Well that makes you a fairly one dimensional prick then. I suggest you work on increasing your skill set. See also: "Sorry about your wait". MY wait? Who the fuck do you think I am, Father Time? A wait's a wait. Although maybe in my case they're actually saying "Sorry about your weight" which makes perfect sense.

Telesales can die.

I love it when you get Telesales people calling you up who are clearly reading off a script and if you say something that isn't in the handbook they just get confused. A simple one is:

"Would you like to save money on your electric and gas bills?"

"No. I like paying too much".

I once had an Indian guy phone me and I just wound him up for ages. I'd heard that telesales people aren't allowed to hang up on you no matter what you say so I decided to try it out. I told him I was interested in whatever it was he was selling, just to make him think he had a bite, and then I just started talking absolute nonsense. After about 5 minutes of talking in a variety of stupid voices, I got bored, so I said "if you can't go 10 seconds without talking I'm going to lock you in the fridge you naughty little man". He spoke so I said "That's it! You're going in the fridge!" and I actually got up and put the phone in the fridge, then went and sat down again. After about 5 minutes I went to get my phone out of the fridge and the guy was still on the line! Seemingly he'd waited all that time just so he could tell me to "fuck off" and then hang up.

Fail.

I'd heard that telesales people aren't allowed to hang up on you no matter what you say so I decided to try it out.

I've got them to hang up a few times by pointing out my phone's registered on the TPS and they're breaking the law by calling me. Then I start asking for their name, their supervisor's name, their office address (some of them don't know this, so I ask how they manage to get to work) etc. Quite often in the middle of it all they just hang up.

I've taken the piss a number of times with these telesales people.

For a while I was constantly getting calls regarding my energy suppliers. On 3 seperate occasions I claimed I used steam, hamsters in a wheel and dogs on treadmills.

I got fed up winding one guy up so just hung up. He rang me back aasked me why I hung up to which I said I was bored. He then questioned this and called me a fucking cunt. I asked to speak to his supervisor, cue short pause, to be speaking to the same guy claiming to be the supervisor. We ended up in a swearing match which was a good laugh.

You guys clearly have both the creative spark and enthusiam for this that I myself lack. Although the last guy who called protested that

"You don't know what I'm offering to sell you yet!

before I bid him good day. I could have had fun with that, like do you have a pint of milk? How the fuck do you know what I want? How about a good deal on a socket775 Intel Quad core? Do you see the shortcomings of your sales model?

Miserable sod that I am, I just politely hang up on them.

I used to just put the phone down without hanging up, it keeps their line live even if they hang up allegedly. Even if it doesn't work I like the idea that it does.
Im pretty sure that does work. Cos I've worked in telesales before.

My favourite one was when I was hungover and some guy phoned to do research on what supermarkets I use and how much I spend etc etc. After answering his questions for about half an hour, he said he was done, to which he said "well I'm not!" and proceeded to do my own research, in the same way his questions were asked (multiple choice/sliding scale etc) about how good my phone call was, and how ace it was talking to me, and how well i answered them etc etc for half an hour.

I used to just put the phone down without hanging up, it keeps their line live even if they hang up allegedly. Even if it doesn't work I like the idea that it does. I put my number on one of those prevent nuisance call lists, definitely reduced them.

I thought it was that if person X phones person Y and then X hangs up, the line goes dead.. but if Y hangs up the line will stay live for as long as person X stays on the phone?

I could have it the wrong way round.. but if I don't, then your phone remaining off the hook will make no difference to their line because, as the caller, they have the upper hand in the phone power stakes..

My favourite one was when I was hungover and some guy phoned to do research on what supermarkets I use and how much I spend etc etc. After answering his questions for about half an hour, he said he was done, to which he said "well I'm not!" and proceeded to do my own research, in the same way his questions were asked (multiple choice/sliding scale etc) about how good my phone call was, and how ace it was talking to me, and how well i answered them etc etc for half an hour.

God damn! Now you actually made me look forward to the next time one of them calls.

Typically there has not been 1 call to my house today.

I normally just have a little rant at them because I work nights and they have disturbed me.

Adverts. They're all fucking terrible.

Particularly annoying ones just now: Muller and Direct Line. I can't watch a whole Muller advert without wanting to strangle a child, and that fucking song, arrghh. Direct Line because they're badly written and I just wish advertisers would leave Stephen Fry alone so he doesn't have to do something so undiginifed. Paul Merton too.

I used to just put the phone down without hanging up, it keeps their line live even if they hang up allegedly. Even if it doesn't work I like the idea that it does. I put my number on one of those prevent nuisance call lists, definitely reduced them.

I might try that next time if I don't plan on using the phone for an hour :up:

I must admit, I had a temp job that was similar in annoyance to telesales for a couple of weeks. In my defense, I was just placed there by my agency. Anyway, my job was to dial numbers and see if anyone picks up or if I get an ansafone or voicemail or whatever and what network it was if so. Basic bruteforce marketing data collection basically.

We didn't have number blocking by default as we used mobiles and the amount of people calling the mobile and leaving angry and threatening voicemails was hilarious. I mean, why would you do that? Someones paying me money to hangup on you but you're doing it for free...

"Sorry about your wait". MY wait? Who the fuck do you think I am, Father Time? A wait's a wait. Although maybe in my case they're actually saying "Sorry about your weight" which makes perfect sense.

M&S Staff aren't allowed to say that,, they have to say "thank you for waiting". In case anyone cares...?