aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

my tolerance for advert goes on a sliding scale something like this

1. funny, creative or otherwise interesting.

2. typical 'celebrity telling me to buy something' type advert. barry scott & cillit bang type stuff. geezer with product. at least it's honest.

3. advert trying to be funny...but failing drastically. such as the sweets one with one of the characters yelling 'BRING ON THE TRUMPETS' wow, I lolled at that one so hard when i heard it. it was so 'random' and wacky!

4. real people with real opinions! opinions that the product that they are trying to sell is for me, that is. other ones are the weetabix ad with the family who just can't get enough of weetabix. there was a branflakes one as well, the acting was so awful. don't forget flora's cholesterol challenge ad...wtf?! yeah, that looks just like the cholesterol challenges my mum likes to go to on a wednesday night...hang on a minute...this is nonsense!

Going back to the cholesterol challenge...

I have a better idea...don't eat the fucking butter in the first place. Problem solved.

There was a similar advert on crisps, where members of the public were commenting on how good they tasted. One member of a group of girls was on a terrible 'comedy' programme on BBC3 last year. Anyone who works in marketing is scum as far as i'm concerned, and celebrity endorsement should be illegalised.

What annoyed me most about that advert is that one of the folk commented on how crazy it was to have crisps come in a bag.

Well observed.

My comment was agreeing with his, then raised another pet hate which was related to the world of advertisement.

Okay.

A pet hate of mine is misreading quotes then making an arse of myself.

Thats twice in as many days!

This conversation made me stumble across this gem of a site TV's Worst Adverts

"Tony! How are things?

Lets have an impossibly stilted exchange about whats happened in the three years since we did our generic work at The Site.

Ive being doing a course and got my certificate; yes, working AND learning.

Look at my smug van and tidy beard. Hark as I drop not a single aitch whilst whining my way through a script that makes Elton Johns hair look natural.

Im better than you now Tony; youre shit, and Im ace.

Ha ha! Your life is ashes, YOUR LIFE IS ASHES

This made me really laugh :love:

On the subject of adverts I hate that one with Gary Rhodes at the moment. It makes out that everyone they spoke to preferred his butter-like shit to some other leading brand's butter-like shit, but if you read the small print at the bottom (which I'm pretty sure wasn't there originally, meaning the ASA forced them to include it) it says out of 200 people 48% preferred Rhode's shit, 43% preferred Lurpak and 7% had no preference. So it's not even a majority of the people they asked!

But I guess "some people might prefer our product, but there's no clear majority opinion" doesn't make a convincing advert.

:rolleyes:

another one of my pet hates....

Drummers who steal felts from cymbal stands....WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT ABOUT??? :swearing:

fucking tell me about it! I dont see why every drummer doesnt have heaps of them spare, you can buy them for next to nothing, i keep a wee bag full of them and the rubber bits, because 80% of cymbal stands in venues are missing them, then again it does make more sense to hike all your stands with you rather than just take the bits to make them useable......:rolleyes:

work-related ones:

people who come up to the till with lots of shopping then proclaim 'ahm off tae get summat else' and act all indignant as i serve someone else. it's your fucking fault that you're too stupid to come to the tills with your shopping then run off to get something else that you forgot, you prick.

people who don't specify what kind of cigarettes they would like. no, 'a pack of richmond' is not enough information, fuckwit.

people who come in two minutes from the end and take FOREVER to do their shopping. i'd quite like to go home on time, thanks very much.

people who can't speak english properly when asking for fags. always aberdonians, and always something like 'tuhwennnnnnylahmmmmmmmmburtnbutlamincheerz'. what? i don't understand your inaudible dribble.

rude customers who shout and interrupt me when i'm serving someone else.

when i serve people who are on the phone. the absolute height of rudeness. it'll only take a minute to dumb yourself down to talk to me and give some polite small-talk, why so many people talk on the phone about the most inane things when i'm serving them, i don't know.

being told to 'go home' by drunks. this occurs because i have a beard, i have concluded. on no less than six occasions have i been called an illegal muslim cunt that should go back to wherever it is i come from. i am from aberdeen, not the middle east. and i'd like to think it's pretty fucking obvious. so annoying.

others:

pretentious cunts in tutorials who talk indecipherably. this happened for half an hour today, with two guys arguing about something and the twat beside me sighing and not even acknowledging the other guy's response. i hate philosophy students, thank fuck i'm not taking it next year.

slow walkers again. why must most people in aberdeen move at a quarter of a mile per year?

the lack of manners that 99% of aberdeen appears to have; just because i'm 19 and a student and i held the door open for you somewhere in town, does not mean i'm suddenly going to grab you once you've passed me and slit your throat or something. i've held the door open for you, basic human manners, all i ask for is a thank you, not an evil glower.

most people in aberdeen.

christ, i can't wait to finish my degree and leave.

actually, i just can't wait for my cup of coffee at 8am tomorrow.

yas.

work-related ones:

people who come up to the till with lots of shopping then proclaim 'ahm off tae get summat else' and act all indignant as i serve someone else. it's your fucking fault that you're too stupid to come to the tills with your shopping then run off to get something else that you forgot, you prick.

people who don't specify what kind of cigarettes they would like. no, 'a pack of richmond' is not enough information, fuckwit.

people who come in two minutes from the end and take FOREVER to do their shopping. i'd quite like to go home on time, thanks very much.

people who can't speak english properly when asking for fags. always aberdonians, and always something like 'tuhwennnnnnylahmmmmmmmmburtnbutlamincheerz'. what? i don't understand your inaudible dribble.

rude customers who shout and interrupt me when i'm serving someone else.

when i serve people who are on the phone. the absolute height of rudeness. it'll only take a minute to dumb yourself down to talk to me and give some polite small-talk, why so many people talk on the phone about the most inane things when i'm serving them, i don't know.

YES to all these. Fucks me right off working in a shop.

There's a deaf/mute woman who comes into our shop now and again to buy fags. And seems to buy different fags everytime. I have never experienced anything so awkward.

"Tony! How are things?

Lets have an impossibly stilted exchange about whats happened in the three years since we did our generic work at The Site.

Ive being doing a course and got my certificate; yes, working AND learning.

Look at my smug van and tidy beard. Hark as I drop not a single aitch whilst whining my way through a script that makes Elton Johns hair look natural.

Im better than you now Tony; youre shit, and Im ace.

Ha ha! Your life is ashes, YOUR LIFE IS ASHES

This made me really laugh :love:

Hahaha. That is incredible.

Anyone who works in marketing is scum as far as i'm concerned.

I just picked up on this just now.

So you think that someone who writes up questionnares, or mathematicians who quantify research are scum, yes?

read this on cracked.com and thought of this thread...

8 Customers Everyone Hates | Cracked.com

"The advent of personal communication devices has given birth to a relatively new species of horrible customers: the Cellphone Shithead. Apparently there are people who have not caught on to the fact that talking on the phone in a store is both obnoxious and extremely rude. Sometimes they will up the ante, and choose to engage in a phone conversation while simultaneously ordering food, paying for said food and ultimately eating food, all while giving a play by play to the poor bastard they're talking to.

Seriously people, we don't want to listen to you shouting at your phone through a mouthful of hamburger. The Cellphone Shithead's coup de grace, however, is when they have the audacity to give the "just a minute" finger when you ask them "how can I help you?" ... made me laugh.