aberdeen-music

2008/2009 Season Thread

Bigsby

Guest treader.
I reckon Hegarty will do us a lot of good. Stir things up a bit, get some motivation if nothing else.

motivation...AND GOALS! 4-1 victory over Ross County takes us back to 4th place.

Things are looking up...possibly.

Let's not forget the man can't manage a premiership team.

Why not? Because he's black?

I jest of course, they were doing awful under him. I don't know if their are barriers for black players to get into management or not. I did find it odd that he was self appointed ambassador for black managers and didn't even have his coaching badges?!

I guess he just wasn't ready for the step up to the Premiership. Fair play to Blackburn for giving him a chance, you've got to take a risk if you're going to discover the next Clough or Fergie but in this case, fail.

They don't have a bad squad at Blackburn, if they can get a decent manager in in January they'll be alright.

I guess he just wasn't ready for the step up to the Premiership. Fair play to Blackburn for giving him a chance, you've got to take a risk if you're going to discover the next Clough or Fergie but in this case, fail.

They don't have a bad squad at Blackburn, if they can get a decent manager in in January they'll be alright.

Did Fergie not have a poor first few years at Man U though, flirted with relegation at one point I think.

When I look at where MK Dons are today I've got to wonder how much of Ince's success with them was down to squad and how much was down to managerial ability.

Did Fergie not have a poor first few years at Man U though, flirted with relegation at one point I think.

When I look at where MK Dons are today I've got to wonder how much of Ince's success with them was down to squad and how much was down to managerial ability.

Yeah, they didn't win anything for a long time when he first went. It wouldnt happen that way nowadays, if you get off to a bad start to the season the fans are on your back and you're for the chop. It's unusual to see a club stick by their manager these days, a recent example is Steve Bruce at Birmingham, even when he got them relegated they stuck by him and trusted him with getting them back up. That's almost unheard of, think of the clubs that went down from the Prem in the past few seasons and how many of them finished that season with the same manager they started it with.

I've kinda forgotten what point I was trying to make, I think it was something like "there's no quick fixes and managers should be given a couple of seasons to implement their own way of working, bring in their own players etc". However this applies more to someone taking over a struggling team and trying to turn round their fortunes, Blackburn actually did well last season and finished 7th and with pretty much the same squad Ince has got them down to 19th so clearly something's gone wrong.

Still, nobody deserves Graeme Souness.

thats the nature of the game now, few new managers are given a chance. i mean last season (or maybe the season before) sammy lee at bolton and chris hutchings at wigan were both sacked by around the 15 game mark! interestingly though both stayed up wonder if would have had lee and hutchings stayed in charge?

i feel sorry for ince, he has a good record at lower league management but it just proves you cannot have a terrible run as a new manager. surely they won't get souness in, with souness in charge they can look forward to trips to blackpool and doncaster next season!

footy fans have become fickle and are always calling for change. down in tinpot land a few numpties (although they might be histon fans in disguise) are calling for gary brabin's head. and cambridge united are 6th in the blue square premier!

Paul Ince is a decent lower league manager who was way out of his league. He did a good job at MK Dons and Macclesfield but he was definitely given a Premiership job far too soon. That said, he's done a pretty crappy job; they have a very solid squad and should be nowhere near ninteenth and the fact that he saw the likes of Robbie Fowler and Keith Andrews as worthy additions to the first team is quite worrying.

It'll be interesting to see who they get as some managers may see the Sunderland job (with massive transfer budget, presumably) as a more attractive proposition, although admittedly the Blackburn squad is a lot stronger than the Mackems'. They'll probably end up with someone like Curbishley, who'd be a good choice for them.

And Mr. Rathen is bang on; nobody deserves Graeme Souness. How this man is constantly linked with jobs like this is completely beyond me. He's not done anything of note in the past ten years and did his best to completely demolish a reasonable Newcastle squad just a few years ago. Terrible manager.

Well

... and if 'ice skates Miller' is on the rink :up:

The pen at the weekend was a foul against Macdonald. Id say Miller is less prone to being knocked over these days. He does get some clatterings from the opposition though many of which should be fouls and are never given so the law of averages balances things out I would say.

So you just leave our big Lee alone! We will get the last laugh as he repeatedly skins your lumbering defenders and peppers your goaly with shots! :p