aberdeen-music

2008/2009 Season Thread

Bigsby

Man City about to spunk 12m and 100k p/w on one of the most average central midfielders I have ever seen, Scott Parker.

That is one of the most ludicrous transfer deals ever done. Seriously. I hope they fire Sparky and get relegated or something.

That would mean he's cost 35.5 million in transfer fees over 4 moves, has only scored 16 goals and won 3 England caps.

Of course statistics are like miniskirts..........

problem at man shitty is that they might have all the money in the world but they aint gonna attract the likes of kaka, buffon etc if they're not playing champs league football which is not going to happen for at least 18 months (quite probably much longer). robinho they got but he's just a mercenary.

They will end up with a team of mercenaries devoid of any team spirit or loyalty and if they think that they're going to be able to challenge for CL places in the space of 6 months they're a bunch of mongs. They should be patient and adopt a similar approach to Lerner and MON at Villa; build the team slowly, season-by-season, making a couple of signings every transfer window. Not buying too many players in a short space of time to ensure that the squad doesn't lose too much harmony. That is how you build a stable football team, carefully and patiently. But we all know that won't happen.

Wayne Bridge is a decent player, but 10m for a 28 year old who's spent the best part of the last five years as bench warmer? I suppose he is a massive improvement on Michael Ball though. But Parker's one I can't understand; he's a distinctly average "crab" midfielder who has been consistantly mediocre since he left Charlton. No better than Michael Johnson in any department.

I hope they do a Leeds, to be honest.

... now that I've said that, watch 'em get in the CL this season!

i agree with you, apparently robinho gets preferential treatment cos he's robinho. you detect there is little team spirit there and if signing the likes of bridges and parker is the best they can do . i suspect the arab owners just like the idea of having a football club but not what to actually do with it. meanwhile a very good manager, mark hughes, is getting his good reputation tarnished. still its good fun to watch from the murky swamp of the blue square premier!

They will end up with a team of mercenaries devoid of any team spirit or loyalty

They said the same thing when Abromovich wipped oot his cheque book but despite a few bloopers and hissy fits along the way (Shevchenko anyone?), it would be hard to question the team spirit at Chelsea. They've managed to balance flashy star attractions (Drogba, Deco, etc) with lynchpins (Lampard, Terry) and hard working utility players (Mikel, Essien). The money has for the most part bolstered the squad without destroying that sense of team spirit.

Man city will need to do the same and try strike a balance. Otherwise they will end up like the infamous footballing vaccum that was the real galactico side from a few years back.

i dont think thats a bad point either but chelsea did slowly build themselves up and got the balance right, i get the impression that the new owners at man city want instant success and want to flash their cheque books about just to let the rest of the footy world know they've arrived. i can see them getting bored sooner rather than later, i always got the impression that abramovich is in for the long haul. its usually some kind of circus at man city (do they have competitions with newcastle united on this one wonders!) mind.

They said the same thing when Abromovich wipped oot his cheque book but despite a few bloopers and hissy fits along the way (Shevchenko anyone?), it would be hard to question the team spirit at Chelsea. They've managed to balance flashy star attractions (Drogba, Deco, etc) with lynchpins (Lampard, Terry) and hard working utility players (Mikel, Essien). The money has for the most part bolstered the squad without destroying that sense of team spirit.

Man city will need to do the same and try strike a balance. Otherwise they will end up like the infamous footballing vaccum that was the real galactico side from a few years back.

The situation between Man City and Chelsea, aside from the bank balance, isn't similar at all. By the point Roman took them over they'd already established themselves as a top 5 team under the tutleage of Claudio Ranieri. Man City on the other hand have been up and down like a yoyo, almost getting relegated under Keegan and Pearce before that mad Thai took over.

Chelsea already had that team spirit and were already a top side before Roman came along, that's my point. Manchester City, at the moment, look like a team devoid of all passion, as anyone who watched their loss against Nott'm Forest will testify. Chelsea just needed that extra kick to haul them into title contention, but City are nowhere near that standard.

The owner did say when he took over that he was aware results won't come over night. He also talked about building a brand (i.e. an entity outwith football) which is perfectly feasible given the popularity and marketablility of the premier league around the world.

It seems the idea is to develop Man Citeh into an American style sports team/franchise, make the club a brand that is instantly recognisable, sells clothing and merchandise etc. If you think about Yankee hats or Lakers shirts... most people who wear them have no idea how successful the team is.

I reckon the owner is gonna sprinkle the team with a few big names to attract fans/attention and make sensible signings on the side in the hope the results eventually come. (Bridge is a solid wing back IMO). Nobody is gonna launch that much money into anything without a solid business plan.

The owner did say when he took over that he was aware results won't come over night. He also talked about building a brand (i.e. an entity outwith football) which is perfectly feasible given the popularity and marketablility of the premier league around the world.

It seems the idea is to develop Man Citeh into an American style sports team/franchise, make the club a brand that is instantly recognisable, sells clothing and merchandise etc. If you think about Yankee hats or Lakers shirts... most people who wear them have no idea how successful the team is.

I reckon the owner is gonna sprinkle the team with a few big names to attract fans/attention and make sensible signings on the side in the hope the results eventually come. (Bridge is a solid wing back IMO). Nobody is gonna launch that much money into anything without a solid business plan.

I think Wayne Bridge is a quality player and I think he'll do well for them, but 10m for a player who won't be worth half that in a couple of years time isn't great business in my opinion. From what I recall his injury record isn't brilliant either.

I see your point and I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens, but I don't see any sign of them making any sensible signings any time soon. 10m for Bridge, 12 for Parker and whatever crazy sum they're willing to play for Bellamy... those are hardly bargains.

What they should be doing is focusing on improving the individual performances of the players they have in their squad already before making any stupid moves in the transfer market. There is more than enough talent in that team as it is to haul them up the table. Richard Dunne has been one of the most under-rated defenders in the Premership for a while, yet this season he has looked completely hopeless. Same goes for the likes of Richards, Elano, Ben Haim, etc...

On paper they have a fantastic XI. Hart, Corluka, Richards, Dunne, Bridge, Wright-Phillips, Elano, Ireland, Kompany, Castillo, Robinho... those are very good players, and the vast majority of them are playing like idiots. There's clearly a big enough lack of harmony at the club as it is, and bringing in Hollywood signings will only worsen that.

On paper they have a fantastic XI. Hart, Corluka, Richards, Dunne, Bridge, Wright-Phillips, Elano, Ireland, Kompany, Castillo, Robinho... those are very good players, and the vast majority of them are playing like idiots. There's clearly a big enough lack of harmony at the club as it is, and bringing in Hollywood signings will only worsen that.

Wrong team.

The situation between Man City and Chelsea, aside from the bank balance, isn't similar at all. By the point Roman took them over they'd already established themselves as a top 5 team under the tutleage of Claudio Ranieri. Man City on the other hand have been up and down like a yoyo, almost getting relegated under Keegan and Pearce before that mad Thai took over.

Chelsea already had that team spirit and were already a top side before Roman came along, that's my point. Manchester City, at the moment, look like a team devoid of all passion, as anyone who watched their loss against Nott'm Forest will testify. Chelsea just needed that extra kick to haul them into title contention, but City are nowhere near that standard.

Fair point and one i do not disagree with. All I was trying to say was that money in the bank does not allways equal a team devoid of pride/team spirit.

The SWP, Ireland, Robinho trio have shown flashes of brilliance this season and have at times looked like they enjoy playing together and for the badge. I hope the owners can build on that.

I have no interest in the Premier league other than that of a neutral spectator. If all this money means exciting football then I'm all for it.

i think the whole man city saga will bring up some of the age old arguements about the premiership - foreign owners, salary caps and amount of foreign players are three issues that spring to mind. i agree with the view that man city should be sorting out what they have because there is some very good footballers at the club but it looks like they're going to pay over the odds for decent but not brilliant talent who will all be 30 within a few years. the way they have played this season sums it up really, thumping wins followed by poor defeats.

i think the whole man city saga will bring up some of the age old arguements about the premiership - foreign owners, salary caps and amount of foreign players are three issues that spring to mind. i agree with the view that man city should be sorting out what they have because there is some very good footballers at the club but it looks like they're going to pay over the odds for decent but not brilliant talent who will all be 30 within a few years. the way they have played this season sums it up really, thumping wins followed by poor defeats.

Spot on, and I think they'd be barking mad to get rid of Mark Hughes as well. He's got a decent record and if he's given time he should be able to get that team playing winning football. He's a young manager who's still learning his trade and they'll have to be patient with him, though. If the board have any sense they won't adopt the trigger happy approach taken by so many clubs these days and fire the man at the first whiff of trouble. As a Newcastle United supporter, this is something I know all about :up:.

In other news, looks like Spuds are about to sign Defoe again which is a good move, given that all their other forwards (apart from Bent) look utterly incompetant in this division. Stephen Appiah's on trial there too; he'd be a fantastic acquisition if he can stay fit. They'll fly up the league if they snag Defoe, Appiah and a decent defender to cover for King and Woody that isn't called "Michael Dawson".

Arshavin to Arsenal for 20m? I just signed the fucker for Newcastle for 5m in FM08. Clearly Arsene Wenger lacks my expert negotiation skills...

Spot on, and I think they'd be barking mad to get rid of Mark Hughes as well. He's got a decent record and if he's given time he should be able to get that team playing winning football. He's a young manager who's still learning his trade and they'll have to be patient with him, though. If the board have any sense they won't adopt the trigger happy approach taken by so many clubs these days and fire the man at the first whiff of trouble. As a Newcastle United supporter, this is something I know all about :up:.

In other news, looks like Spuds are about to sign Defoe again which is a good move, given that all their other forwards (apart from Bent) look utterly incompetant in this division. Stephen Appiah's on trial there too; he'd be a fantastic acquisition if he can stay fit. They'll fly up the league if they snag Defoe, Appiah and a decent defender to cover for King and Woody that isn't called "Michael Dawson".

Arshavin to Arsenal for 20m? I just signed the fucker for Newcastle for 5m in FM08. Clearly Arsene Wenger lacks my expert negotiation skills...

i think hughes is the man to lead the team forward but there is an awful lot of work to do! there's far too many knee jerk reactions these days, its absurd that chairmen are sacking managers after less than 20 games in charge. my other gripe is these made up jobs in football (thinking of wise and his cronies at newcastle here) that all started with this director of football nonsense.

i'm a casual observer of the premiership from my armchair via match of the day and i find it all midly amusing, the comings and goings!