aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

I was off work sick yesterday so I fired up the DVD player and got stuck into this little lot:

Shadow Of A Doubt - (a black & white Hitchcock film from 1942). Very good movie, lots of edge of the seat suspense in typical HItchcock fashion. Virtually no action, the whole story is told by sparkling dialogue, something sadly missing in most movies these days.

Verdict - Thumbs Up

The Blues Brothers - for probably the 100th time or so. Never get tired of watching this. Absolute classic.

Verdict - Thumbs up

Blues Brothers 2000 - horrible. A poor imitation of the original, it really missed John Belushi, Elwood Blues has gone from being effortlessly cool and straight faced to being a burbling idiot. And he's got a stupid nasal voice. I could just about handle John Goodman being in the Blues Brothers band, but the cop guy totally sucked and the kid was just annoying as fuck. Why the fuck would you put a fucking kid in the Blues Brothers band? It's like they just thought "What can we do to make it bigger and better than the original? I know, why not have FOUR singers instead of two! And we'll make one of them a kid, and we'll put him in a dark suit, hat and glasses so everyone says "aaaaawwwww", but we'll let him wear white trainers instead of shoes because he's a KID you see! And that's what kids do!" Horrible. Just horrible. Not only that but the movie was utterly bereft of any memorable moments, and there wasn't even any good songs in it. Words cannot express just how much I hate this film.

Verdict - Thumbs down

Superman Returns - The film was too long and pretty boring, Brendan Routh had zero charisma either as Clark Kent or as Superman, Lois Lane was just annoying and the plot of the film sucked. Case in point - the humans rescue Superman! It's just cloying, syrupy, 'Superman makes us all be better people' pap. And when that specky, ashmatic geeky kid is revealed as Superman's son I just get fucking angry. What a truly pointless plot twist. Where were they hoping to go with that? Superman & Son in the next film? Or did it the fuck the story up so much that they had to shelve plans for a sequel and instead going for another franchise "reboot"? Well, let this be the answer.

However, Warner Bros. was somewhat disappointed with the box office return, and the studio has announced their plans to reboot the Superman film series, with a new film released in 2011,[2] although Brandon Routh is still set to return as Superman

Superman (film series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Verdict :down::down::down::down::down::down::down:

Chose Role Models, it was great. Loads of big laughs in it.

Strange thing was we bought the tickets and the screens in Vue said that there were Few Left, which to me indicates that it's almost sold out. Yet when we went in it was empty and there was loads of seats free when the film started.

Also all the trailers were shit. Apart from I Love You, Man. Which at least looked funny, if slightly run of the mill. Guess all the good stuff's being released before the oscars.

I went to My Bloody Valentine 3D last night, it was ace, an absolute gorefest. The 3D effects were fantastic, it looked really good and the people jumped out of the screen and felt like they were right in front of you. The opening sequence in partcular is really impressive. You really need to see it in the cinema in 3D tho because that's the real selling point, without it it's just another horror movie (though better than a lot of the dross that gets churned out in the name of horror). It's really nothing original, it harks back to the Friday the 13th slasher era, you can see it's influences a mile away, but it's still really good and keeps you guessing with the whodunit right til the end.

I went to My Bloody Valentine 3D last night, it was ace, an absolute gorefest. The 3D effects were fantastic, it looked really good and the people jumped out of the screen and felt like they were right in front of you. The opening sequence in partcular is really impressive. You really need to see it in the cinema in 3D tho because that's the real selling point, without it it's just another horror movie (though better than a lot of the dross that gets churned out in the name of horror). It's really nothing original, it harks back to the Friday the 13th slasher era, you can see it's influences a mile away, but it's still really good and keeps you guessing with the whodunit right til the end.

I loved it too!! I jumped about 3 or 4 times, which I never really do in horrors all down to the 3D. You have to take it for what it is a slasher movie, which in my eyes is all about the 'killings' (say it in '' cause always think of the League of gentleman sketch...'How many killings') and they way they were done.

There was loads of great 3D bits (much more than scar ...but not sure sitting further down the cinema helped that). We got the killer wrong!

I'd go and see again probably if 241

the trailers looked good too The Unborn & Push (tried not to watch too much to spoil it)

I loved it too!! I jumped about 3 or 4 times, which I never really do in horrors all down to the 3D. You have to take it for what it is a slasher movie, which in my eyes is all about the 'killings' (say it in '' cause always think of the League of gentleman sketch...'How many killings') and they way they were done.

There was loads of great 3D bits (much more than scar ...but not sure sitting further down the cinema helped that). We got the killer wrong!

Me too :) At the 9.00 showing there was a girl who ran out halfway through with her hand over her mouth and never came back. Sign of a good horror film!

The bit when he chops out the guys chin then it comes flying toward the camera and you hearing splatting behind you as it lands. Genius. I watch a lot of horror I don't really get scared by blood and gore and that these days, it's about seeing the more and more extreme and interesting screen deaths these days :) the bit with the chin for example was fantastic, as was the pick axe through the eye. The spade bit was pretty great but it's been done already in a British film last year called "The Cottage" which was prety shit actually.

Best screen death scene I've ever seen was the opening of "Ghost Ship". 100 people in formal-wear simultaneously being chopped in half at the waist by razor wire. Just astonishingly good. It's just a pity the rest of the film was boring and predictable or it could have been a splatter-fest classic.

Me too :) At the 9.00 showing there was a girl who ran out halfway through with her hand over her mouth and never came back. Sign of a good horror film!

The bit when he chops out the guys chin then it comes flying toward the camera and you hearing splatting behind you as it lands. Genius. I watch a lot of horror I don't really get scared by blood and gore and that these days, it's about seeing the more and more extreme and interesting screen deaths these days :) the bit with the chin for example was fantastic, as was the pick axe through the eye. The spade bit was pretty great but it's been done already in a British film last year called "The Cottage" which was prety shit actually.

Best screen death scene I've ever seen was the opening of "Ghost Ship". 100 people in formal-wear simultaneously being chopped in half at the waist by razor wire. Just astonishingly good. It's just a pity the rest of the film was boring and predictable or it could have been a splatter-fest classic.

yeah loved the chin bit, good antisi....pation leading up to it cause you knew it was gonna happen!! done superb! reminded my of ichi the killer for some reason!

Watched 'Man On The Moon' last night (or at least the last half of it); forgot how awesome it is, stirling performance from Jim Carey. Must dig out Bob Zamuda's Andy Kaufman biography now....

Haven't seen that for a good while, Carrey's best performance for sure. After seeing it for the first time I went on a mission to find out as much as I could about Andy Kaufman. Did the same with Lenny Bruce after the Dustin Hoffman film. Can't beat a good biopic.

... Speaking of... anyone seen the new film bout Biggie Smalls? dunno if its out yet and Ive got google-fatigue. I kinda want to see it.