aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

'Everything Is Illuminated', ace film. And it has also made me want to check out a Gogol Bordello CD, despite studiously avoiding them when they were hyped up a while back.

'Kind Hearts and Coronets' also ace.

Rewatched 'I Am Legend', much better second time around despite wonky CGI bad guys. Never realised Mike Patton did their voices first time.

We believe in equality in the Bigsby household, so on Saturday night we had a movie double bill, with one film chosen by myself and another by Mrs Bigsby.

First up was my selection, The Wrestler.

Excellent, one of the best films I've seen in a long, long time. A heartbreaking look at one man's quest for redemption. I never thought I would find myself typing this, but Mickey Rourke deserves the Best Actor Oscar (although I would like to see Clint Eastwood win it for sentimental reasons) and indeed I was pleased to see that he won the Golden Globe last night.

Next was Mrs Bigsby's choice, Saw V.

Bag o' shite.

this weekend watched...

One Day Removal - brilliant, so funny - defo worth a watch

Slumdog Millionaire - Again really enjoyed it, I see what you mean about 10 mini films in one, glad it won awards - dancing at the end was a bit weird but being india I suppose appropriate ;)

You don't mees with the Zohan - watched it heaps before still so funny (totally appeals to my humour), still noticing things I didn't the first few times :)

Watched Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country last night. Defo one of the best Trek films, some awesome Shatner moments.

Good film, haven't seen it ages.

I would rate the Trek films (best to worst):

I didn't really think any of TNG ones were much cop, although I suppose the one with the Borg was OK.

Still not sure about the new JJ Abrhams one.

Good film, haven't seen it ages.

I would rate the Trek films (best to worst):

I didn't really think any of TNG ones were much cop, although I suppose the one with the Borg was OK.

Still not sure about the new JJ Abrhams one.

I 100% concurr - though I did watch Nemesis the other day, and it was actually alright - more like a feature length episode than a movie proper, but nae bad like.

'Everything Is Illuminated', ace film. And it has also made me want to check out a Gogol Bordello CD, despite studiously avoiding them when they were hyped up a while back.

Rewatched 'I Am Legend', much better second time around despite wonky CGI bad guys. Never realised Mike Patton did their voices first time.

Everything is Illuminated is really watchable but it is worth checking out the book too. Still one of the best novels I have ever read.

I was the same about I Am Legend. It's not a patch on the book (which gripped me so much I finished it in a night) but second time viewing, I found the first half of the film really got to me but it was let down overall when the vampires appear . They could have found a more intelligent way of portraying them and they do not come across like that in the novel at all. Terrible Hollywood ending to the film.

Not really watched anything else of late except The Wire. Just working through the final season 5. Don't want it to end!

I watched Role Models last night, which was good brainless fun. Lots of laugh out loud moments.

Looking forward to Slumdog, The Wrestler and My Bloody Valentine 3D in the coming weeks.

Is the Bloody Valentine the second Valentine film? (first being with David Borenaz SP?) If so I will probably dig out my 3D specs see if it's any better than Scar 3D!

Everything is Illuminated is really watchable but it is worth checking out the book too. Still one of the best novels I have ever read.

Great film and book. 'Seeing eye bitch' gets me every time.

Not bad for a 19 yr old author!

Here's an interesting article that first made me aware of Jonathan Foer for anyone who can be bothered reading it. Annals of Culture: Late Bloomers: Reporting & Essays: The New Yorker

... He only briefly comes into discussion about halfway through but it's a great piece of journalism.

First up was my selection, The Wrestler.

Excellent, one of the best films I've seen in a long, long time. A heartbreaking look at one man's quest for redemption. I never thought I would find myself typing this, but Mickey Rourke deserves the Best Actor Oscar (although I would like to see Clint Eastwood win it for sentimental reasons) and indeed I was pleased to see that he won the Golden Globe last night.

good selection! The fact that Rourke's face looks a bit plasticiney even fits his character. Perfectly played role, you can almost feel his body falling to bits. He must have been injecting steroids for a long time in preperation for this film, that's method acting!

I was the same about I Am Legend. It's not a patch on the book (which gripped me so much I finished it in a night) but second time viewing, I found the first half of the film really got to me but it was let down overall when the vampires appear . They could have found a more intelligent way of portraying them and they do not come across like that in the novel at all. Terrible Hollywood ending to the film.

Not really watched anything else of late except The Wire. Just working through the final season 5. Don't want it to end!

Cheers min, I shall track down the book.

I've read 'I Am Legend', I don't understand why they don't just do a faithful telling of it set in a normal house rather than a fortified building as in both the Will Smith version and 'The Omega Man', it seemed like a great premise and some set-pieces just made for film. Maybe it would be too close to 'Night of the Living Dead'.....I've never seen the Vincent Price version maybe that's more like the novel?

Watched "Almost Famous" yesterday for about the 4th time.

What a fabulous movie!

Patrick Fugit is brilliant as William, Kate Hudson is just stunning as Emily/Penny Lane, the band are great and the supporting cast including two of Hollywoods finest - Frances McDormand & Phillip Seymour Hoffman - are top drawer.

Lots of memorable scenes and quotable dialogue - "I am a Golden God!!!"

Even the music, composed by Nancy Wlison of Heart, is spot-on for the period.

A "must-see" movie.

I've read 'I Am Legend', I don't understand why they don't just do a faithful telling of it set in a normal house rather than a fortified building as in both the Will Smith version and 'The Omega Man'.

I KNOW! It would make such a ridiculously intense psychological thriller, I'm on edge just thinking about it. How he goes half mad trying to maintain some sort of normality. It would make a killer film.

I've not seen Omega Man but have caught the Vincent Price version. Price is actually pretty decent for a script a little lacking but the real let down (again) is the Vampires/Zombies or in this case a bunch of painted up drunks with no sense of co-ordination or balance.

In all honesty it is a pretty enjoyable 50's B-Movie with budget gravitas from Price and cheap thrills from the undead.

The fact that we have had three adaptations now must show that they haven't quite hit the nail on the head yet and there's still a lot of scope with this story.

"Come out Robert......."

Watched "Almost Famous" yesterday for about the 4th time.

What a fabulous movie!

Patrick Fugit is brilliant as William, Kate Hudson is just stunning as Emily/Penny Lane, the band are great and the supporting cast including two of Hollywoods finest - Frances McDormand & Phillip Seymour Hoffman - are top drawer.

Lots of memorable scenes and quotable dialogue - "I am a Golden God!!!"

Even the music, composed by Nancy Wlison of Heart, is spot-on for the period.

A "must-see" movie.

Someone once told me the girl in that movie reminded them of me lol! **EDIT** thats the character, not looks.....I wish!!)

City of Ember - kids sc-fiy type film city made under the earth to preserve humanity, they will only know 200yrs on there is a whole new world out there....weird concept one of these movies where you keep wondering if you'd know certain things with not being from normal earth....mmmm hard one to explain - quite good got suckered in lot's of famous people, reckon a second could come out of it and be quite good!

I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned but I watched "Into The Wild", the other day. It really is a fantastic film. Emile Hirsch is amazing as Alexander Supertramp (Chris) as well as all the supporting actors, notably Vince Vaughn and Catherine Keener. Sean Penn and Emile Hirsch seem to make a fearsome team so I am eagerly awaiting "Milk" now.

Lakeview Terrace - Annoying neighbour film, feck living next to that...and he's a cop! anyway reminded me a mix of Arlington Road (another great movie) and Training Day. Worth a watch

Agreed. One of big Sammy L's finest performances IMO. Nice 'hazy' californian look to the film too. I really like it when directors give you a real impression of the location/setting through visual aesthetics. (The bohemian green tinge of Amlie, the grottiness of Trainspotting being good examples)