aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Super 8

Was genuinely enjoying it, but towards the end, it felt as though the director just went 'Right that all the main bits covered - the mystery, explosions, love interest, father son conflict resolve and bad guy turn around - send the alien home for whatever reason. And done'

Ended up hating it. 3/10

Absolutely spot-on, though my reaction was more of a weary sigh at the end than outright hate :)

Blades of Glory - File under: not as funny as Anchorman, but way funnier than Talladega Nights.

Little Miss Sunshine - Thankfully, despite occasionaly treading on the wrong side of schmaltz, there are laughs a-plenty, and the ending almost had me on the floor.

Shock Treatment - Forgetten sequel to the Rocky Horror show. One for the die-hard Rocky Horror fans only.

The Station Agent - Great camera work, great acting. Patricia Clarkson is so awesome, in everything,ever.

Super 8 - JJ Abrams proves again that as a director he has the subtlety of a claw hammer.

Fall of the House of Usher - Suitably creepy, but not Vincent Price's finest moment.

The Grudge 2 - tries too hard to be "bigger, badder, scarier" than the first film and falls down by showing too much of what the first film left to the imagination.

Sex Drive - Wants to be American Pie but not up to scratch. Great turns from James Marsden and Seth Green.

Fargo - Modern classic.

Full reviews in the link in my signature.

Arrietty

New Studio Ghibli animation based on the Borrowers stories. Very enjoyable, and perhaps the best SG film for a while - fantastic sound and animation as usual. I think their recent films haven't been quite as good because they're trying to hard to appeal to a non-Japanese audience. This is true with this film, which is much less obviously Japanese than Spirited Away or Princess Mononoke, but the story is well told and everything is just beautiful throughout.

Super

Starring Rainn Wilson (Dwight - Office US) and Ellen Page (The really irritating girl from Juno). Similar to Kick-Ass in the premise. Bullied loser becomes a super-powerless superhero to win his recovering alcoholic and drug addict wife back from some sleazy pillhead. It's better than Kick-Ass, because it's not dull and shit. It starts off very funny, but then the violence gets a bit full on, and it goes a bit dark. Quite a warming ending though. Somehow Ellen Page is even more annoying than she is in Juno, but she's not in it for long. Not bad. 6 out of 10.

Super

Starring Rainn Wilson (Dwight - Office US) and Ellen Page (The really irritating girl from Juno). Similar to Kick-Ass in the premise. Bullied loser becomes a super-powerless superhero to win his recovering alcoholic and drug addict wife back from some sleazy pillhead. It's better than Kick-Ass, because it's not dull and shit. It starts off very funny, but then the violence gets a bit full on, and it goes a bit dark. Quite a warming ending though. Somehow Ellen Page is even more annoying than she is in Juno, but she's not in it for long. Not bad. 6 out of 10.

Annoying, but you would. Eh?

I wanted to see this but I didn't know how it would be, 'cause I enjoyed Kick-Ass.

Does Rainn Wilson play a similar character to Dwight? 'cause I can't get enough of Dwight.

The King's Speech - Deserves all the praise and awards it received. In terms of Oscar winning performances Firth's must be one of the best ever. Rush was tremendous as always. Don't have a bad thing to say about it. 10/10

Quills - Geoffrey Rush as the Marquis De Sade whilst locked up in a mental institution. Funny, dark and saucy. 7/10

Super 8: Old school summer blockbuster with decent pacing, acting and an enjoyable enough storyline for adults and kids alike. It is what it is and an oscar winner it most certainly isn't but i definitely enjoyed it and would probably watch it again. 7/10

Twilight: Against my better judgement this was on the telly the other night so i recorded to watch with the other half. Whilst not being entirely repugnant, i did find it fairly tedious and slow with some laughably camp acting (don't get me started on the sparkling nonsense). I also don't get this obsession with Robert Pattinson either, he looks like Dawson gone Goth with a swollen jaw. 4/10

Super: Thought i would give it a whirl as it looked a bit darker than Kick Ass. I though it was humorous with ironic OTT special effects and dialogue. Rainn Wilson and Ellen Page were funny enough as was Kevin Bacon actually (nice cameo by Nathan Fillion as well). James Gunn's work has been a bit of a guilty pleasure for me as well (his work for Troma Entertainment, Dawn of the Dead remake and Slither) and he's currently going out with the amazingly small Mia from Kayo Dot who i've had the pleasure of chatting to in the flesh and on the internet (she's got a cameo in it as well). Definitely worth a watch if you like obscure/oddly funny stuff. 7/10

Watched Super tonight as well after buying it yesterday. I don't know quite what to say about it since the ending made me cry and forget any feelings I had before that. Rainn Wilson was eerily affecting as a narrator. All in all, I really enjoyed it although I found myself laughing at bits then wondering if I should have laughed. Like

the bit where Frank's vomit reconstitutes itself into Sarah/Liv Tyler's face. That probably shouldn't have been as funny as it was considering the really disturbing...am I right in calling it a rape scene? Definitely non-consensual..sex scene that came before it.

Anyway. That whole scene just encapsulates how odd that film made me feel in places. Definitely worth watching though. The premise will get it compared to Kick-Ass but it hits totally different emotional notes. I'm giving it 4/5 stars.

I also watched Kaboom. I felt a lot less conflicted about this film. It's one of the best films I've watched in a while. To sum it up, a group of attractive and mostly queer college kids run around having sex with each other trying to solve a mystery involving a cult and the end of the world. There is also a really good soundtrack, the effects are wonderful for what they are and the whole thing is just a bit camp without being silly about it. Loved it. 5/5 stars.

I thought 'Super' was pretty ace. I like Ellen Page, lovely and always good, I don't find her annoying at all. I give it 9/10.

Seraphim Falls

Pretty decent Western. Pierce Brosnan plays a man being tracked by a group of guys led by Liam Neeson for reasons unknown until quite far in. I kind of guessed the likely reasoning. Brosnan plays against type pretty well.

8/10

Hobo With a Shotgun

Ridiculous. Rutger Hauer is still the man.

7/10

The Tournament

Robert Carlisle plays an alcoholic priest who gets embroiled in a Battle Royale type fight to the death between loads of assassin types when he accidentally swallows a tracking device. Pretty violent and actually better than I expected it to be.

8/10

King Kong

Peter Jackson's travesty. Hate dit at the cinema, mellowed towards it a wee bit when I gave it a second chance, decent effects etc helped overlook the fact he took a classic 90 minute film and doubled the length for no discernible reason. I just assumed he got so used to making 3 hour films he couldnm't stop. I'm back to hating it again, despite decent effects. Hideous over-use of slow-mo and that bit where the guys swings into the gulley firing the machine gun made me want to chuck the telly out the window.

3/10

Scream 4

Complete and utter pointless pish. Only gets points because Neve Campbell still looks tidy and so made it barely watchable. Courtney Cox's face now appears to be made of plastic, unfortnately the mould used seems to have been for a baby duck.

2/10

I watched two old John Carpenter classics at the weekend...

Assault On Precinct 13

Great reworking of strangers-under-siege-from-relentless-attackers premise, inspired by Rio Bravo and Night of the Living Dead. Some of the action inside the police station is poorly coordinated, but the first half of the movie, set in the streets of East LA, has a real air of dread and menace. Leagues ahead of the shit remake. 8/10

Escape From New York

In the not-to-distant-future (in 1981, "the future" was 1997!) , the crime rate in America is through the roof and Manhattan Island is now the US's only prison with a 50-foot perimeter wall. The rules are simple, one you're in, you can't get back out. When some dissidents hijack Airforce One and crash it and the President (brilliantly played by Donald Pleasant) into the prison, it's up to Kurt Russell to save the day. 9/10

Both films have simple, but iconic electronic theme tunes, written by Carpenter himself and both movies are FUN...(anyone remember when movies were fun?)

Lemmy

Documentary about Motorhead's legendary singer, BluRay was only 7 in Asda, score. Gives a small amount of his musical history, nothing that I wasn't aware of anyway, interspersed with footage of him ambling about L.A. and showing off his insanely extensive Nazi memorabilia collection. Lots of metal types suck up and pay tribute. There is also a rather odd moment when he is sitting with his son and they discuss swapping girlfriends. Rock 'n' roll. Great film, he seems like a very decent guy all in all and his dedication to his chosen path is pretty impressive.

Made me want to see them live again, even though I found them disappointing at AECC last year.

9/10

As did I...very good. Some proper laugh-out-loud moments, and a nice way to end the show.

What did they opt for? All four protagonists 'slamming' the same clunge, resulting in a four-boy bukkake job on the unsuspecting fat bird in Ibiza?

If not, I'm not interested in this film.

What did they opt for? All four protagonists 'slamming' the same clunge, resulting in a four-boy bukkake job on the unsuspecting fat bird in Ibiza?

If not, I'm not interested in this film.

Best steer clear then.

Basically they all 'found someone' in Malia that they were suited to.

Simon finally realised Carly is cock-teasing bitch.

Will touches a breast and is promised sex from a hotty.

Neil finds someone as weird as him.

Jay gets with a fat bird and overcomes the 'what everyone thinks of him' complex.

Poetry: Very beautiful Korean film about an elderly woman who discovers that she's suffering from Alzheimer's and that her grandson is bound up in the suicide of a school girl. She responds to all this by going to poetry writing classes. That probably doesn't sell the film very well, but it's rather spell-binding and builds to a really poignant conclusion.