aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Senna - Really captivating, and well thought out docu-film about one of the greatest natural talents ever to grace F1: it is slightly biased, but not so much to spoil it. Even if you know where the film ultimately ends, it's no less affecting.

Hangover 2 - Nowhere near as funny as the first one, it's basically the same movie but in a different country. There are a few chuckles (mostly involving Chow) but not a film I'd watch again in a hurry....

You've Been Trumped I can quite honestly say, without any exaggeration that I have never been so moved by a film. I literally sat there feeling physically sick for a large proportion of the film, and with a tear in my eye and a lump in my throat for the remainder. It just beggars belief that there's been such a media blackout of the relentless destruction of the beautiful Menie wilderness by Trump and his cronies and that the horrifyingly thuggish behaviour of Grampian Police has gone unchecked. I always thought Trump a very vulgar and brash individual anyway, but this has just thoroughly amplified my feelings. Anyway, people should definitely see this film for themselves and make up their own minds, it's actually quite an apolitical account of the whole situation, people may think it biased, but I think this is only due to the fact that so many people involved declined to be interviewed. This is definitely a film that needs to be seen by as many people as possible. There are already plans for screenings in Edinburgh and Glasgow, heading towards a large screening in New York on the 7th of July.

10/10.

Senna - Really captivating, and well thought out docu-film about one of the greatest natural talents ever to grace F1: it is slightly biased, but not so much to spoil it. Even if you know where the film ultimately ends, it's no less affecting.

Saw this at the cinema last night. I thought it was brilliant and very moving. Once the graphic appeared on screen stating "San Marino Grand Prix, Imola 1994" chills ran down my spine. That whole sequence, although being the climax of the film, was very uncomfortable to watch. Brought back memories of watching the footage live on TV at the time.

I started watching F1 as Senna was dominant but I think at the time I was very much a Williams fan so the importance of Senna kind of passed me by as I was concentrating on Nigel Mansell and Ricardo Patrese. This film really pushed home just how much he meant to the sport and Brasil.

X-Men First Class - Simply amazing film. James McAvoy is very decent as a young Professor X. Shows how the X-Men came to be and how they found each other and why certain people were evil and certain people were good. Oh, and apart from

Sigourney Weaver in Paul

It has one of the best thought out cameos I've seen in a while. Look out for it when they're

scouting for mutants

Definitely one to see if you liked the other ones and definitely one to see if you didn't.

A Very Long Engagement

French movie by Jean-Pierre Jeunet (Amelie, City of Lost Children, Delicatessen, Alien: Resurrection) about a young woman (Audrey Tautou) searching for her fianc who went missing, presumed dead, during World War One.

Stunning movie. Emotive, heartfelt, some amazing performances and gloriously dark as I've come to expect from Jeunet. One or two minor pacing problems but overall, a triumph.

9/10

Hotel Rwanda An absolute cracker of a film based in a hotel in Kigali during the Rwandan genocide. It is based on true events and characters with Don Cheadle playing a hotel manager who goes to extraordinary lengths to protect innocent civilians. It was a tough ride, particularly because it is based on truth but I thought it was brilliantly paced and very tense. I was actually pleased at the 12 certification because it meant that the machete action wasnt as gruesome as it might have been. A must see 9/10

Walk The Line

I finally got around to watching this excellent biopic about the Man In Black. Great performances all-round, especially from Joaquin Phoenix as the flawed, but basically good Johnny Cash. Reese Witherspoon - despite having a voice that could strip paint - is superb as June Carter. Good support from ole' T1000 himself, Robert Patrick, as Cash's less-than supportive father. He seems to have aged badly in the 14 years between T2 and this movie. A must-see. 9/10

Sex and the City 1 & 2

Naw, really!

I bought my partner the complete box set for Xmas last year and we've been working our way through this irritating, but entertaining series that should only connect with those fortunate enough to have a salary in excess of $250K per annum.

For those of you not familiar with SATC, it's set in an alternative universe where fashion is God and all of the world's problems can be solved by a pair of Manolo Blahnik slingbacks and a Manhattan cocktail.

The main characters are three completely neurotic women, who, in the 12 years their universe has been in existence, have demonstrated ZERO personal development. There's a fourth character, who's grounded, but has the sex drive of a randy orang-utang.

In this world, all men are useless and need only to have a single flaw (e.g. wrong cufflinks) to be discarded and cast from the women's lives forever...until they meet again under ridiculous circumstances and engage in a quick, regret-filled knee-trembler, the details of which we, the viewer, have to endure the next time these airheads meet for breakfast.

TV Series - entertaining and had it's moments (Sam's sex scene's were hilarious) 7/10

Movies - Shite. 2/10

• Upvote 1

Walk The Line

Sex and the City 1 & 2

Naw, really!

I bought my partner the complete box set for Xmas last year and we've been working our way through this irritating, but entertaining series that should only connect with those fortunate enough to have a salary in excess of $250K per annum.

For those of you not familiar with SATC, it's set in an alternative universe where fashion is God and all of the world's problems can be solved by a pair of Manolo Blahnik slingbacks and a Manhattan cocktail.

The main characters are three completely neurotic women, who, in the 12 years their universe has been in existence, have demonstrated ZERO personal development. There's a fourth character, who's grounded, but has the sex drive of a randy orang-utang.

In this world, all men are useless and need only to have a single flaw (e.g. wrong cufflinks) to be discarded and cast from the women's lives forever...until they meet again under ridiculous circumstances and engage in a quick, regret-filled knee-trembler, the details of which we, the viewer, have to endure the next time these airheads meet for breakfast.

TV Series - entertaining and had it's moments (Sam's sex scene's were hilarious) 7/10

Movies - Shite. 2/10

Must spread...

Walk The Line

I finally got around to watching this excellent biopic about the Man In Black. Great performances all-round, especially from Joaquin Phoenix as the flawed, but basically good Johnny Cash. Reese Witherspoon - despite having a voice that could strip paint - is superb as June Carter. Good support from ole' T1000 himself, Robert Patrick, as Cash's less-than supportive father. He seems to have aged badly in the 14 years between T2 and this movie. A must-see. 9/10

Sex and the City 1 & 2

Naw, really!

Movies - Shite. 2/10

I still like the description of SatC in 'Family Guy' - a show about 3 prostitutes and their mother.

I still like the description of SatC in 'Family Guy' - a show about 3 prostitutes and their mother.

I've not had the pleasure - but will look it out.

The Simpsons did a brief skit where Patti and Selma are watching "Nookie in New York" on the telly and claim that "it's like a window into our lives" :)

Sex and the City 1 & 2

Naw, really!

Movies - Shite. 2/10

Best review in a long while in this thread.

5 Days of War - another pathetic attempt to make a gritty war movie into another ACTION DRAMA complete with corny 'heroic' one-liners. Uninteresting drivel.

Terrific movie and the young lass is just superb in the lead role. Mr Eyes-In-His-Hands (aka the Pale Man) has got to be the scariest character in recent memory.

Her new step dad was pretty damn scary too. Every time he was on screen i found myself worrying for all others concerned. Whether they were his enemy, family or a fellow facist he was brutal. I remember voting for him in a best baddie category that year.