aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

I love a bit of the Zooey but I also found '500 Days of Summer' a bit disappointing. 'Adventureland' is ace.

I watched 'Black Swan' the other night, thought it was pretty decent, Aronofsky still fails to make a film that changes my mind about his general aceness. Nods to Argento's 'Suspiria' in the primary colour overload towards the end and a rather saucy and unexpected lezz-off. 10/10.

Tideland

Directed by Terry Gillingham and absolutely stunning performances from Jeff Bridges, Jodelle Ferland (the voices of the little sisters in bioshock) and Brendan Fletcher.

When Jeliza-Rose's mum (Jennifer Tilly) dies of an overdose, her and her father (Jeff Bridges) run away to stay in Jeliza's granny's house out in the sticks.

One of the weirdest movies I've ever seen but it's absolutely brilliant. Can be tough to follow but the characters absolutely suck you in.

8/10

Frost / Nixon - Good wee movie this. They managed to make a film about two people sitting talking to each other exciting, which was the first hurdle. Frank Langella was immense as Nixon, I thought Michael Sheen was good as Frost but he was totally overshadowed by some proper heavyweight acting by Langella. It rumbled along nicely to the big climactic "battle" scene, but I felt that fell a little bit flat - the air should have been crackling with tension in those last few scenes, but it wasn't.

The Lovely Bones - Piss poor telling of a wonderful story. I really enjoyed the novel, and the film is usually disappointing if you read the book first, but Peter Jackson really should have done better than this. The book is very graphic in places and very subtle in others, the film managed to get it back to front by toning down the graphic bits and completely overdoing the subtle bits. Over-produced pretentious twaddle on a massive scale. Plus, did no-one else notice that Susie's friends and love interest were all at least 10 years older than her? There's something a little uncomfortable about a 25 year old actor writing love letters and making puppy dog eyes at a 14 year old.

500 Days of Summer is a good film in that yes, it made me thoroughly depressed and reminded me how much all women are complete and utter cunts.

Fucking bitch. I'd drink her bathwater, but I'd want to drown her in it afterwards.

Did you get burned man? Know the feeling.

The War You Dont See John Pilgers film about standards of journalism in wartime. It particularly focuses on all the bullshit propaganda we are fed through mainstream media (including what you would consider lefty or impartial news organisations) and investigates why. A really well crafted documentary and terrifying expose which should make you question everything journalistic that you read and watch (if you dont already) 10/10

South of the Border Oliver Stones documentary about the present Bolivarian governments of South America. It starts with a tirade against Bush/Fox News and how Chavez et al are reported as brutal, drug taking, murderous dictators because they dont do everything that America wants them to do. Stone then goes and hangs out with Chavez, Morales etc. and asks them no awkward questions and kisses their bums for an hour and a half. I quite enjoyed it and want to find out more about them but as investigative journalism it was a bit of a one sided joke. I particularly liked the Ecaudors presidents story that he had no problem with the USA having an army base in Ecuador as long as he could have a similar one in Miami! 6/10

The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest

Was my least favourite of the books and is my least favourite of the films. Very talky and not much action but the source material pretty much dictated this. I'm sure the hospital based events were more involving in the book though, think they got the balance wrong in the film. Still a decent film though.

8/10

Fear City

Picked this up for a quid in One Up. Early 80's film directed by Abel Ferrara who made the original 'Bad Lieutenant' and rubbish 'video nasty' 'The Driller Killer'. He also made one of the best films ever 'King of New York'. This one is pretty cheese-tastic but actually quite enjoyable in a trashy kind of way. Tom Berenger is an ex-boxer turned co-owner of a business which provides strippers to various establishments. Lando Calrissian over-acts as a police detective (best line - "I told you, no pussy on the bar!") investigating attacks on strippers by a martial arts loony. Various 80's action film leading ladies pop up (Rae Dawn Chong and Maria Conchita Alonso), Melanie Griffith is Tom's ex- stripper bird. Frankie Five Angels from 'Godfather 2' turns up as a sleazy club owner. If you like trashy 80's films you could do worse.

7/10

Executive Decision

Kurt Russell is a terrorist expert caught up in a hijack on a passenger airliner loaded with chemical weapons. Steven Seagal is the leader of the counter-terrorist team sent to try and take back the plane. Halle Berry is an air-hostess. One of those watchable action films they churned out in the 90's, not brilliant but not shite.

7/10

To the Devil a Daughter

Mid-70's Hammer film about a young nun (Natassia Kinski) who goes to live with an occult writer while Christopher Lee's shady priest tries to resurrect some demon or something. I was playing on-line poker while watching this so maybe my attention wasn't really on it enough but it seemed a bit confused plot-wise.

5/10

The Limits of Control

Jim Jarmusch's most recent, only 3 in FOPP Glasgow. Amazing value. It's about a black hitman who travels to Spain and divides his time between sitting outside cafes with 2 espressos to meet various contacts (including Tilda Swinton and John Hurt) who all pass him a matchbox containing a message and engage in mysterious banter. He works his way slowly towards doing the job while dressed in a variety of natty shiny suits. This is a pretty atmospheric film more than anything else, typically Jarmusch, nae that much happens and the storyline is pretty vague but I thought it was pretty cool. It helped that it has an amazing soundtrack, lots of Boris with a smattering of Earth.

9/10

The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest

Was my least favourite of the books and is my least favourite of the films. Very talky and not much action but the source material pretty much dictated this. I'm sure the hospital based events were more involving in the book though, think they got the balance wrong in the film. Still a decent film though.

8/10

It was my favourite of the books actually. But my least favourite of the films. The balance was off and there were bits that were definitely missing, and completely wrong to the book. I'd type some examples but I should really make them spoilers!

I really enjoyed the trilogy though!

9/10 overall.

Red - utterly farcical plot line but great fun nonetheless! Bruce Willis, Helen Mirren, Morgan Freeman and John Malcovich are retired CIA agents who kick the CIA asses.

Tony - low budget, dark British horror about a London seriel killer, very good as well.

Tigerland Really good film. Never know what to make of Colin Farrell, but he's really young in this and his acting is pretty exceptional in this. Interesting in that it goes through all the lead-up to war without taking you to war. I guess to show how psychologically brutal it is before you even get there.

Restrepo Highly, highly recommended. Difficult to watch in places, doubly so because of the death of one of the directors/film-makers Tim Hetherington. Follows a 15 man outpost in the Korangal Valley in Afghanistan. It cuts between the documentary footage and the soldiers on-screen talking about their experiences afterwards, but you spend most of the time in the out-post and on patrol with the men.

Dr. Strangelove Decided to rewatch this to cap off my war-movie-marathon. It's still great, the scenes in the war room being my all time favourites. "He'll see the big board!"

Saw X-Men: First Class on Friday night. Very enjoyable. Thought James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender were great.

Coincidently watched X-Men: The Last Stand last night on Ch4... it's a shame I only have a wee tv as these films are definitely suited to bigger ones!

Went to see Hangover 2 today. Some very funny moments but I think the first one was funnier. The monkey and Mr Chow made me giggle a lot!!

Easy A - Fun film but nothing special 6/10

I watched this as well. It is fun, but if you're looking for something the equal of Mean Girls or Clueless you might be a little disappointed. Definitely worth a watch though.

Also watched The Fifth Element as I'm sure I watched it before but did not know what the blizzity-blazes was going on at first. I really enjoyed it this time round. Totally off the wall, but some great editing going on.

101 Dalmations - The live action version of this was on bbc3 last night. Good film. With a great baddies-from-home-alone-esque duo in the form of Hugh Laurie and Ron Weasley's Dad from The Fast Show, is it?

Glenn Close plays Cruella DeVil perfectly. And the dogs are so cuuuuuuuuuute.

Definitely: 9/10