aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Battle: Los Angeles

When some nasty Aliums invade Earth, it's up to Aaron Eckhart and his band of gung-ho Marines to save the day. This isn't a bad movie at all - kinda like Black Hawk Down meets Heartbreak Ridge, with effective use of Steadicam and some decent action scenes. The aliens aren't invulnerable (a plot device I've always despised) so the stand-up fights are plausible. A good Saturday Matinee type of move that's light years ahead of the awful, awful Skyline. Eckhart makes a great tough-guy-with-a-heart. 6.5/10

Easy A - (or Mean Girls 2) High school comedy in which a unpopular girl accidentally gains a reputation for being the school slut despite being a virgin. However she enjoys being the centre of attention for a change so she embraces her new reputation and starts dressing and acting like a slut. The script is quite funny, without ever really breaking any new ground, and if you enjoyed Mean Girls or Clueless you'll like this as it's pretty much a cookie-cutter copy of both. Some of the casting choices are really weird, the main girl is one of the oddest looking human beings I've ever seen and she plays the part in quite a strange way that falls a short of endearing and lands closer to annoying; most of the high school students are in their mid 20s and Phoebe from Friends is dreadful throughout. Still it's enjoyable enough fluff, a fine way to pass a Sunday night.

easy-a-emma-621x322.jpg

Oh also:

Groundhog Day - for the millionth time. An old favourite than never fails to cheer me up :up: Bill Murray deadpans for pretty much the entire film, which is reason enough to watch anything really.

large%20groundhog%20day%20blu-ray5.jpg

"This is one time where television really fails to capture the true excitement of a large squirrel predicting the weather. "

Hot Rod

Rewatch. Love it every time. Great cast too. Andy Samberg, Bill Hader, Danny McBride and Will Arnett. A bit of Ian McShane in there too. Superb. One of the most belly-laugh worthy films I've seen, possibly ever. It's ridiculous and stupid though, and Samberg is a terrible actor, which adds to the charm overall.

Rod is an amateur (terrible) stuntman. His step dad needs money for a heart transplant, so he raises money by doing a 15 bus jump, with the help of his idiot friends. Stupid stuff happens along the way, to pad it out for an hour and a half. All killer, no filler.

Hot Tub Time Machine - went into this with very low expectations and was pleasantly surprised. Absolutely laughed my ass off for pretty much the whole film. If you like juvenile comedy with crude humour and gratuitous swearing then this is for you. Like American Pie with time travel (and small roles for Crispin Glover, Chevy Chase and the bad guy from the Karate Kid!). Rob Corddry absolutely steals the show in the "Jack Black Role", ie obnoxious, sweary, loud asshole friend who no-one really likes and John Cusack is great as ever. Really really enjoyed this. Only let down is Chevy Chase who gets nothing to do and it feels like they just wrote a part for him at the last minute. This is utter bunkum, but funny as hell.

Cursed - Below average teen werewolf flick. On paper it should be fantastic - written by Kevin Williamson (Scream), directed by Wes Craven, and a talented young cast including Christina Ricci, Joshua Jackson and Jesse Eisenberg. Sadly it fucks up pretty much everything, relies on terrible horror cliches and high school movie staples, has no scares, no laughs, and they cut all the blood and gore out to get a 15 rating. The characters are 1 dimensional, the script goes nowhere, the CGI looks like a school project, it's incredibly boring and even a cameo from Scott Baio gamely sending himself up can't save it. Plus it's kinda hard to have a "whodunit" tension when virtually EVERY CHARACTER IN THE FILM IS A FUCKING WEREWOLF (not really a spoiler). Absolute hogwash. If you watch this film you may get AIDS. Be warned.

Hot Tub Time Machine - went into this with very low expectations and was pleasantly surprised. Absolutely laughed my ass off for pretty much the whole film. If you like juvenile comedy with crude humour and gratuitous swearing then this is for you. Like American Pie with time travel (and small roles for Crispin Glover, Chevy Chase and the bad guy from the Karate Kid!). Rob Corddry absolutely steals the show in the "Jack Black Role", ie obnoxious, sweary, loud asshole friend who no-one really likes and John Cusack is great as ever. Really really enjoyed this. Only let down is Chevy Chase who gets nothing to do and it feels like they just wrote a part for him at the last minute. This is utter bunkum, but funny as hell.

]

I liked this too. It doesn't quite reach belly laugh but it's funny the whole way through.

I'm going to see the new Pirates of the Carribean tonight, ordered by the missis. I have low expectations, as I didn't like the first 3. I find Johnny Depp a bit annoying in most things he's in, but at least the dreadful Orlando Bloom isn't in this one... Or so I've been told.

I will summarise in the morning. Anyone seen it yet?

I'm going to see the new Pirates of the Carribean tonight, ordered by the missis. I have low expectations, as I didn't like the first 3. I find Johnny Depp a bit annoying in most things he's in, but at least the dreadful Orlando Bloom isn't in this one... Or so I've been told.

I'm glad that I'm not alone in my dislike of this gawd-awful franchise. I have a lot of time for Johnny Depp as an actor, but as you rightly say, his Jack Sparrow character is just plain annoying. No doubt this one will be another plot-free CGI bonanza.

I'm a bit torn about it, will probably just plump fro seeing it on DVD. I liked the first one but found the other 2 a bit disappointing. But then I don't mind Johnny Depp at all.

Hot Rod

Rewatch. Love it every time. Great cast too. Andy Samberg, Bill Hader, Danny McBride and Will Arnett. A bit of Ian McShane in there too. Superb. One of the most belly-laugh worthy films I've seen, possibly ever. It's ridiculous and stupid though, and Samberg is a terrible actor, which adds to the charm overall.

Rod is an amateur (terrible) stuntman. His step dad needs money for a heart transplant, so he raises money by doing a 15 bus jump, with the help of his idiot friends. Stupid stuff happens along the way, to pad it out for an hour and a half. All killer, no filler.

Woo hoo, I also loved this film, just picked it up cheap as on Play.com as well.

I saw it and didn't care for it. Not surprising, since I didn't like the others. Lasted too long and I just can't stand Depp's character in the whole franchise.

The only good thing was:

Badass Mermaids. You'll never dip your toe in the fucking sea again. They'll fuck you up, with their vampire teeth and some kind of elasticated drowning rope, for drowning. Nails.

Into The Wild for the double dozenth time - If you haven't seen it. Then make sure you do very soon! Very good true story about a young man who wants to disconnect himself from what he feels is the poison of society. He sets off after graduating college leaving absolutely everything behind and changing his name to Alexander Supertramp. An amazing film but prepare yourself as it's not a feel good film.

****1/2

Get Him To The Greek - Another rewatch tonight, needed something light hearted to cheer me up before going to bed. This is exactly that. Simple plot, Music label rep needs to get a rockstar from london to LA to play a massive gig. Fun, funny and sentimental antics along the way. Very good comedy. Has it's dips in tone like every other film, can't be happy and funny through out the film obviously.

Really? I'd say it made me smile throughout. Eddie Vedder did the soundtrack, which means its the best soundtrack yet. Good film.

Into The Wild for the double dozenth time - If you haven't seen it. Then make sure you do very soon! Very good true story about a young man who wants to disconnect himself from what he feels is the poison of society. He sets off after graduating college leaving absolutely everything behind and changing his name to Alexander Supertramp. An amazing film but prepare yourself as it's not a feel good film.

****1/2

I enjoyed this film and just finished reading the book it was based on. Worth a read if you like the film.

I enjoyed this film and just finished reading the book it was based on. Worth a read if you like the film.

If you liked that you should get John Krakauer's other booking 'Into Thin Air'. Its about the 1996 Everest disaster. Really, really good.

I loved the first Pirates film but the sequels were a waste of time. I'll probably see the new one eventually. I had no idea Knighly and Bloom aren't in this one. That actually makes me less interested in it.

Penelope Cruz is better than Keira Knightly, and the silent empty space occupied by absolutely nobody is better than Bloom's dreadful everything-is-dramatic acting. Man, I hate that guy.

Oh yeah Radcliffe is pretty rank, makes me laugh how he tries to do serious stuff - yer Harry Potter man and always will be.... so live with it! Speaking of which the latest Potter film arrived on rental DVD today. The ginger in the Potter films is pretty wank as well and called Rupert as well which gives him extra punchability factor!