aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Arthur

I used to hate Russel Brand, but when I finally gave him the time of day I developed a real soft spot for him.

This movie is hilarious IMO, lots of full on LOL lines, one or two of which are spoiled by being in the trailers but this is fortunately not one of those comedies where the trailers contain every good joke.

Story-wise it's a little predictable but this is more than made up for with fun characters and Brand's dialogue sparkles and is full of wit as per.

Lots of I-WANT-ONE-OF-THOSE moments and some really good performances (Helen Mirren is spectacular, as per). Would watch again and would certainly recommend it.

9/10

xx

Arthur

I used to hate Russel Brand, but when I finally gave him the time of day I developed a real soft spot for him.

This movie is hilarious IMO, lots of full on LOL lines, one or two of which are spoiled by being in the trailers but this is fortunately not one of those comedies where the trailers contain every good joke.

Story-wise it's a little predictable but this is more than made up for with fun characters and Brand's dialogue sparkles and is full of wit as per.

Lots of I-WANT-ONE-OF-THOSE moments and some really good performances (Helen Mirren is spectacular, as per). Would watch again and would certainly recommend it.

9/10

xx

I saw Arthur yesterday and thought it was pretty poor to be honest. Russel Brand was good in it, the main lassie was cute, Helen Mirren was ok. Story was pretty poor, delivery poor also.

4/10

Scream 4, really enjoyed it. You can tell Kevin Williamson (Original writer) is back on writing duties. It's more of a piss take of the first Scream and hugely enjoyable! Very funny and some cool stabbings and stuff!

Saw this Friday, loved it. The script is so self-referential and stuffed with in-jokes etc that it makes your head spin. I'm a massive fan of slasher movies and horrors in general, and part of my criteria of them is an array of "new and interesting deaths" - (recent favourites include the topless dolly-bird getting a pick-axe through the head while she hides under a pier in the Friday the 13th remake, guy getting a pick-axe into the underside of his chin, and then having his chin pulled off and fly towards the camera in My Bloody Valentine (even better in 3D!) and

Jennifer Ellison getting her face chopped in half by a shovel in The Cottage)

. There weren't many really memorable deaths in Scream 4, mostly just knives through the chest, but there was enough claret spilled to send the more bloodthirsty among us home happy. Great addition to the series.

Last Night (2010) - IMDb

Keira Knightly and the guy out of Avatar in this "serious" drama about relationships. Was OK, 3/5 stuff, maybe gets an extra half point for only being an hour and a half. Can't be arsed with long films.

Since Keira Knightley gets her jubblies out in every film she's ever in, I assume she does so in this? Not that that would make me watch it mind. I'm sick of the sight of the fucking things.

Jonah Hex

A US Confederate soldier comes back to life, has the ability to talk to dead folk and wants revenge on John Malkovich who killed his family. I'm all for short films and this is isn't even 80 minutes but I think they were a bit trim happy.

6/10

Day of the Jackal

Ace 70's fick about an attempted assassination of Charles De Gaulle. Simultaneously follows the preparatory activity of Edward Fox the assassin and the police's attempts to track him down.

9/10

Wall Street

For some reason I hadn't seen this, it's OK, bit dated in terms of 80's fashions, decor and fucking huge mobile phones.

7/10

The Color of Money

Paul Newman reprises his 'Fast' Eddie Felson role from 'The Hustler' (which I've not actually seen) and takes Tom Cruise's cocky pool whizz under his wing. Been years since I've seen this, Cruise is beyond annoying. OK film though, that aside.

7/10

Deadly Pursuit

Sidney Poitier plays a San Fransisco cop on the trail of a killer diamond thief who infiltrates a fishing party trekking into the Rocky Mountains guided by Kirstie Alley. Tom Berenger is her mountain man boyfriend who Sidney forces to guide him after the fishing party. Very late 80's but still a good fun version of the mis-matched partners thing.

8/10

They Live

John Carpenter film which I had always avoided under impression it was pish. It's not, it's awesome. Some old wrestler called 'Rowdy' Roddy Piper plays the main character, his acting is probably the worst part of the film and so loses a point. If Kurt Russell had played the part it would be infinitely better. 'Rowdy' Roddy plays a homeless guy who discovers that the world is run by skull faced aliens and subliminal controlling messages are hidden on billboards, TV, magazines, etc. The aliens true faces and the messages can only be seen via special sunglasses he finds in a church. Turns out there is a resistance movement already acting against the aliens. 'Rowdy' Roddy has a great 5 minute punch up with Keith David in an alleyway because Keith refuses to try the sunglasses. This may be my new 4th favourite John Carpenter film after 'Escape From New York', 'The Thing' and 'Halloween'.

Also has an amazing line when 'Rowdy' Roddy enters a bank -

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass.....and i'm all outta bubblegum"

9/10

They Live

Also has an amazing line when 'Rowdy' Roddy enters a bank -

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass.....and i'm all outta bubblegum"

9/10

A great wee "sleeper" of a movie and sadly, I'm old enough to have seen it when it first appeared on video in the 80's.

Roddy Piper isn't all bad in the role, but I must admit that the oft-quoted "bubblegum" line (you see it in countless forum signatures) is one of the most toe-curlingly shite-est pieces of dialogue ever, along with Will Smith's "...I make this look gooood" from MiB.

Roddy Piper isn't all bad in the role, but I must admit that the oft-quoted "bubblegum" line (you see it in countless forum signatures) is one of the most toe-curlingly shite-est pieces of dialogue ever, along with Will Smith's "...I make this look gooood" from MiB.

Wrong. You're both wrong.

That's a Duke Nukem quote, Carpenter just went back in time and put it in his movie to steal the credit for it. :finger:

xx

I used that quote in the Quick Questions thread last week. I also used it onstage at a Cobra Kai gig. Never actually seen that film, though I knew that line was from it - though the first time I ever heard it was on Robot Wars. It was that Irish lot that had the shit robot that was covered in red and black fur, which unsurprisingly got set on fire by Sgt. Bash.

Diotoir.jpg

Raging Bull Id never seen this before so thought I should give it a go given its regular appearance on the greatest movies of all time lists. I enjoyed most of it but actually found it a bit tedious towards the end. Obviously the acting and cinematography are top notch but I didnt particularly enjoy the story. The main character is a mental cunt from the start and continues in that vein. It would have been interesting to know why he was that way and to see him develop rather than just getting fatter. For the quality of the performances it still gets a 7/10 but not to my tastes.

Meek's Cutoff: Gloriously enigmatic Western about settlers setting out across Oregon, getting a bit lost and trying to find water. Not much dialogue, and much of what there is is quite hard to discern. Really gets across what it must have been like to be a settler in a land you know nothing about. Probably my favourite film of the year so far.

Hanna

I'll try not to give too much "plot" away.

Well... I'd been quite excited about this one (it's the new one from Joe Wright who directed Atonement). It starts off in the arse end of nowhere in the Arctic Circle (60m south of, FYI) where Hanna (Saorise Ronan) is being raised/trained by her father Eric (Eric Bana) to become an assassin to exact revenge on Marissa (Cate Blanchett), head of some top secret government operation-type thing. Anyway, Hanna eventually reaches a level of badassness to be ready for the mission that Eric has in mind (killing everyone) and he sets off a transponder alerting Marissa to their location (Eric and Marissa have been involved in some sort of operation circa. the Cold War, but are no longer buddies and that). So a little red light starts blinking, and what basically ensues is guns and running, punctuated by amusing anecdotes involving a British family (I found the dad pretty irritating) that Hanna stows away with. Then more guns and running. It sort of recalled the film Taken, (to me anyway) but wasn't nearly as good. Unfortunately, there's very little character development, and a silly plot begins to unfold, I found it hard to feel any sort of empathy with any of the characters. I fell asleep about an hour or so in, for about half an hour or so and woke up when my boyfriend squeezed my hand as Baddass Hanna ran someone through with an iron pole. It was pretty grizzly. Then there were more guns and running, some interrogation, a heart-warming scene involving Hanna some guy chilling in some hut in a dilapidated theme park in Berlin which was inevitably broken up by some guns, brutal crossbow action and running, as the film hurtled, like a running gunner, towards its highly predictable conclusion (which involved some more guns, and a bit more running). I guess it was somewhat entertaining as a straight-up thriller, but the lack of plot, character development and unexplained stuff left me bored and wanting something more. There was some cool scenery though, and Saorise Ronan does make an unlikely, but somewhat convincing badass.

5/10 (but if you like guns and running, probably higher).