aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Submarine: Film directed by Richard Ayoade. A Welsh coming of age type thing set in the 80s. It's really very entertaining and quirky throughout. Paddy Considine's bizarre 'mystic' is particularly good. Almost as good as Yellow Submarine.

Times and Winds: Have been meaning to watch a few more Turkish films recently, so I got this and the next one on DVD. I think I enjoyed this the most - a really beautiful looking film. It's another 'coming of age' type deal, with a bunch of kids in rural Turkey. Reminded me of my travels around Turkey in the 90s, particularly as it had music by Rachels on the soundtrack, which was from an album I was listening to a lot at the time.

Uzak (Distant): I'm a big fan of films in which not much happens but this actually tested even my patience a bit. Really really slow. It's about a guy from the country who comes to stay with a cousin in Istanbul. And that's kind of it. Very admirable for the way that it economically gets across a lot with very little action or even words but it could probably have been enhanced by Robin Askwith appearing at a window and catching a cheeky young lady disrobing. That doesn't happen enough in films nowadays, I find.

Burn After Reading

I liked where it was going, but it felt like it ended about 15 minutes too early, leaving just about everything at a loose end. Never been that big on Brad Pitt but his character in this is superb, and Clooney is great too, but the storyline was a bit of a muddle and the ending was abrupt and confusing. 3/10

Zombieland

Watched for the second time. Not big on the zombie genre but this is fun. Woody Harrolson is terrific, as is Jesse Eisenberg and the hot girl from Superbad who is remarkably hotter in Zombieland. Great cameo from Bill Murray too. Seems to be tagged as a Shaun of the Dead derivative but contraversially I prefer this to Shaun. 8/10

Harry Brown

Good film but a bit grim to watch. Would recommend giving it a go though. A bunch of yobs run riot on a horrid estate. Harry Brown, played by Michael Caine, takes matters into his own hands. He's bad-ass for a pensioner. 9/10

The Matrix: Reloaded

Only ever seen the first one, and thought it was guff 10 years ago, but the missis assured me the second one was better. I honestly thought this is one of the worst films I've ever seen, and I've seen Air Bud and The Fast and the Furious. Keanu Reeves is just terrible, and the fight scenes whilst floating around 10 feet in the air look like a fucking pantomime. Horrid film. Horrid franchise. Keanu Reeves is terrible at his job. Wouldn't watch again, or any other Matrix film. Infact I'm boycotting Keanu Reeves apart from Speed and Bill and Ted. He's shit in Speed too, but the premise of a bus being vulnerable to a terrorist attack due to how fast it is travelling is just genius. He's passable in Bill and Ted because he's an idiot playing an idiot. Twat. ZERO OUT OF 1,000.

Didn't enjoy it as much as i thought i would, think the other guys hyped it up far too much. Maybe would have been really good to watch with people, some films seem to need an atmosphere to be enjoyed.

I felt the same, probably for the same reasons. Same with The Big Lebowski. If I watched them again with lower expectations I would probably enjoy them more.

You will meet a tall dark stranger

Return to form for Woody Allen after the lacklustre Whatever Works. Superb cast including Anthony Hopkins, Antonio Banderas and others that I can't be bothered typing.

In fact, thinking about it, it's probably the acting that makes the difference between this being good and Whatever Works being "meh". I love Larry David but he can't play anybody but himself.

Only gripe would be that this sort of trickled to an end, like he had been writing the script, got to 85 minutes and thought"Oh, better call it a day there then".

Burn After Reading

I liked where it was going, but it felt like it ended about 15 minutes too early, leaving just about everything at a loose end. Never been that big on Brad Pitt but his character in this is superb, and Clooney is great too, but the storyline was a bit of a muddle and the ending was abrupt and confusing. 3/10

I loved that flick. Difficult to explain why, but I was damn near howling with laughter at the ending. I think the pacing fucked with my brain.

Also, Malkovitch and JK Simmons are great.

Burn After Reading

Disagree with this review, I thought was a fantastic film, I find a lot of the Coens work really hit or miss but this was a hit for me.

Harry Brown

Good film but a bit grim to watch. Would recommend giving it a go though. A bunch of yobs run riot on a horrid estate. Harry Brown, played by Michael Caine, takes matters into his own hands. He's bad-ass for a pensioner. 9/10

Watching this tonight. Heard it was good. Like a British Gran Torino.

Watching this tonight. Heard it was good. Like a British Gran Torino.

It's slightly like a British Gran Torino but there's a bit of role reversal. Normally you'd think the British film was the restrained, intelligent film with superb acting against the American brash, over the top ultraviolence.

That and it's just ok while Gran Torino was brilliant.

It's slightly like a British Gran Torino but there's a bit of role reversal. Normally you'd think the British film was the restrained, intelligent film with superb acting against the American brash, over the top ultraviolence.

That and it's just ok while Gran Torino was brilliant.

A lot of them "gritty" Lahndahn gangster films tend to fuck this up. Over reliance on violence, not enough on plot, characters and story. Classic style over substance . I've watched a couple of stinkers of British crime movies recently.

Seen Eden Lake? Brutal movie to sit through, really good though, although Michael Fassbender is so bad in it he actually appears to be less than one-dimensional. He's a whole new law of acting (and phyics) unto himself.

skyline

watched it today. felt like a crap version of independence day, but a better version than cloverfield. basically shot it one room. effects are good but the brothers Strause spent like fifty thousand dollars on shooting the movie then ten million dollars on effects. found myself laughing at some scenes where i wasn't meant to due to how bad it was

2 out of 5

'Withnail and I' is one of those films that is a bit 'love it or loathe it' I think. It isn't particularly strong on narrative but has loads of great 'moments' that you either find hilarious or just pass you by.

I watched the remake of 'I Spit On Your Grave' the other night. It follows the same basic narrative of the original late 70's 'video nasty', where a female writer moves into a remote cabin to work and attracts the attentions of a group of ne'er-do-wells who subject her to some horrific abuse and rape before leaving her for dead and she returns to wreak her revenge on the abusers. This version is actually a better film in many ways, the acting is much improved on some of the terrible performances in the original and it looks quite good. The revenge sequence is pretty far fetched to be honest, the original at least had some semblence of plausibility but the lass in this seemed to have taken some tips from the 'Saw' films. I believe this has been cut by the BBFC, I didn't see any obvious indications where the cuts were made so at least their trimming isn't as jarring as it was back when they were cut happy - I suspect the gang rape sequence was trimmed as not all the gang appeared to have participated. Not the worst remake I've seen.

5/10

Children Of The Corn - 1980s horror adapted from a Stephen King short story. A young preacher arrives in a small Nebraska town and gets all the kids to join his crazy bible cult, and gets them to kill the adults in the town and sacrifice them to a demon that lives under the cornfields. Think Village Of The Damned, but with more bible imagery. Linda Hamilton is in it. Good concept but pretty devoid of scares. I expect better from the Kingmeister.

You Will Meet A Tall Dark Stranger

I'm a Woody Allen fan anyway so I went in expecting good things and IMHO it delivered. Excellent movie. I see Bigsby's ( I think it was him) point about the movie trickling to an end, but I'd have to say I disagree. I think the ending was prety well suited to the theme of the movie in so much as there is no 'end' to the characters' stories...

9/10

True Grit

Finally got around to seeing this. Loved it. Not quite as Cohen-brothersish as some of their work, felt a little less weird than they tend to do. Jeff Bridges' dialogue can become a bit muffled and tricky to pick up on from time to time but he acts the part superbly. A couple of minor pacing problems in it though around the middle IMO..

7/10

Submarine

As someone mentioned previously, 80's based coming-of-age drama (although it felt more like a comedy most of the way through) written and directed by Moss from the IT crowd (Richard Ayoade). The central character has a lot of Moss-like characteristics and a lot of the jokes have a Peep Show inspired cringe-comedy appeal. Some full on belly laughs scattered throughout as well as a fuck-tonne of funny dialogue but it again suffers with the pacing of it around the middle and towards the end. By the time the final 20 minutes of the movie rolled around it felt as though it should be over already...

8/10

Synecdoche - Really wish I hadn't bothered. A real shame because I like Charlie Kauffman's writing but this, his directorial debut, is an utter chore. PSHoffman is great as always and the films starts really well with some interesting dialogue but it just descends into over-indulgent attempts at mind-bending. It's one of these films that tries to be too clever at every opportunity. David Lynch can get away with confusing the audience because he is so good at creating atmosphere through colours, sound, costume, mise-en-scene, etc. The 'plot' is not a pivotal feature of his films and it doesn't matter because they just wash you over and leave you to figure out what went on after. Synecdoche tries sooo hard to replicate this but is annoyingly hollow and far too self-satisfied. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has seen it and what they thought?