aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Guest Gladstone

I'm watching Matrix right now. I don't think I've seen it since the first time I watched it when I was about 17 and was completely blown away. Fucking cool film.

The Last Boy Scout

Ace Bruce Willis film, where he is an ex-CIA man turned alcoholic burnout private investigator, hired by young Halle Berry with big eyebrows to protect her but she gets shot and he ends up joining forces with her irritating pro-footballer boyfriend to figure out why. Features a great scene where a bad guy keeps hitting Bruce, he threatens to kill him if he touches him again, bad guys doesn't comply so ends up with his nose rammed into his brain. Also has a bad guy who reminds me of Dave England from 'Jackass' with a dodgy Spandau Ballet haircut.

9/10

Hell in the Pacific

Lee Marvin and Toshiro Mifune are a US pilot and Japanese Naval officer who are both stranded on a small Pacific atoll. When they first become aware of each other's presence they each try to outwit the other before realising they will have to work together to escape the island. Great film but there is no subtitling so the viewer is as baffled by Mifune's dialogue as Marvin is.

9/10

The Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue

Previously banned and subsequently cut 70's zombie 'video nasty', now uncut. A radiation machine developed for the farming community to kill insects(!) has the unfortunate side-effect of causing the recently deceased to rise from the grave. They handily located the film in rural England so keeping the recently dead population nice and low, all the zombies look kind of Italian though, presumably because the director is and took his actors along. The lead male looks like an early career King of Leon and has an annoying cokernee accent. As is usual with these ex-nasties, the gore is actually pretty tame by today's standards and looks pretty fake. A lass on a hospital reception desk gets her rubber boob pulled off by a marauding zombie. I bet that was one of the cut bits before, the BBFC used to hate anything involving a boob/blood combo. An OK watch overall, decent soundtrack but annoying accents and dated effects lose a few points.

7/10

Aladdin - Confession. I've only ever seen two Disney animated movies, The Jungle Book and Snow White, and both of them were when I was about 5. I guess after 4 years together there was only so long I could avoid having to sit through my girlfriend's favourite film of all time, so I duly did boyfriend duties the other night and watched this. I actually really enjoyed it, dunno why I've avoided Disney films for so long, if they're all like this I may well be converted. Robin Williams' incessant overacting gets tiresome very quickly, but apart from that, thumbs up.

Drag Me To Hell - Sam Raimi gets back to what he does best, gruesome, gory, darkly funny comedy. A young lass who works in a bank gets cursed by an old gypsy woman, and the curse is that she has 3 days of being haunted in progressively more terrifying circumstances before a demon comes up and drags her to hell. So she has 3 days to try and find a way out of it. It's proper scary in places and LOL funny in others, very Evil Dead-esque humour and grossness. Imagine Evil Dead on a big budget and you've got this. Enjoyed it immensely.

Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist - A romcom starring Michael Cera set against the impossibly cool backdrop of the NYC indie-music scene. The locations, cinematography etc are perfect and it's easy to get sucked into the characters world of travelling around dingy basement bars in the "city that never sleeps" watching bands until 6am. What lets it down though is crappy improvised dialogue and some very unconvincving characters that seem too unreal and out of place. It's spoils what could have been a very good film. I defy anyone to watch it and not fall a bit in love with Norah.

The Godfather - Finally got round to watching this for the first time in my life. A very good watch, though at 2 hours 40, left my bum a little numb and I needed a wee break in the middle. Great story, well told, compelling stuff, though I found it a little hard to follow the plot at times as a lot of the characters were a little interchangeable and not very memorable. I had to follow the plot summary on wikipedia a few times to find out which faceless goon had just been whacked and why. Looking forward to getting into Part 2.

Aladdin - Confession. I've only ever seen two Disney animated movies, The Jungle Book and Snow White, and both of them were when I was about 5. I guess after 4 years together there was only so long I could avoid having to sit through my girlfriend's favourite film of all time, so I duly did boyfriend duties the other night and watched this. I actually really enjoyed it, dunno why I've avoided Disney films for so long, if they're all like this I may well be converted. Robin Williams' incessant overacting gets tiresome very quickly, but apart from that, thumbs up.

That seems incredible to me. I can't believe you didn't see others just by chance as a kid.

Definitely check out some more. Aladdin is very good but there are many which are much better. The two you had seen are great and well worth another watch again now. Then Pinocchio, Dumbo and Sleeping Beauty would probably be the next must sees.

Die Hard 2 has finished. Obviously not as good as the first but still smashing stuff. If the 3rd is better than this I can't wait to see it. And I wont really have too I'll probably see it tomorrow.

Kind of sad that now after seeing these films I can no longer honestly say that Hudson Hawk is my favourite Bruce Willis film.

That seems incredible to me. I can't believe you didn't see others just by chance as a kid.

Definitely check out some more. Aladdin is very good but there are many which are much better. The two you had seen are great and well worth another watch again now. Then Pinocchio, Dumbo and Sleeping Beauty would probably be the next must sees.

Die Hard 2 has finished. Obviously not as good as the first but still smashing stuff. If the 3rd is better than this I can't wait to see it. And I wont really have too I'll probably see it tomorrow.

Kind of sad that now after seeing these films I can no longer honestly say that Hudson Hawk is my favourite Bruce Willis film.

I didn't watch any of the films that everyone else did when I was a kid. I only watched The Goonies and Close Encounters in the last couple of years, I've never seen ET, I didn't watch any of the Star Wars films until I was about 19, I've only ever seen one Indiana Jones film, and I watched that last year. Oh and I didn't watch any James Bond films until I was in my 20s. From the age of about 10 I had a TV and VCR in my bedroom and a pile of videos and I just watched the same 7 or 8 films over and over and over and over again. I can probably quote most of the following films word for word:

Short Circuit 2

First Blood

Police Academy 4

The Breakfast Club

Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure

Weekend At Bernies

The Secret Of My Success

Terminator 2

Major League

Beverley Hills Cop 2

Wayne's World