aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Synecdoche - Really wish I hadn't bothered. A real shame because I like Charlie Kauffman's writing but this, his directorial debut, is an utter chore. PSHoffman is great as always and the films starts really well with some interesting dialogue but it just descends into over-indulgent attempts at mind-bending. It's one of these films that tries to be too clever at every opportunity. David Lynch can get away with confusing the audience because he is so good at creating atmosphere through colours, sound, costume, mise-en-scene, etc. The 'plot' is not a pivotal feature of his films and it doesn't matter because they just wash you over and leave you to figure out what went on after. Synecdoche tries sooo hard to replicate this but is annoyingly hollow and far too self-satisfied. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has seen it and what they thought?

Couldn't agree more.

I've liked most of Kaufman's stuff but Synecdoche was so difficult to follow. I think it's one of those movies you need to watch again but I just didn't have the motivation to do that.

Couldn't agree more.

I've liked most of Kaufman's stuff but Synecdoche was so difficult to follow. I think it's one of those movies you need to watch again but I just didn't have the motivation to do that.

To me, a film that you have to watch again is a bad film. One that makes you want to watch again to get things you missed or whatever is a good film. I have no desire to see this again because as confusing as it was, there wasn't anything in it that made me care if i understood or not.

To me, a film that you have to watch again is a bad film. One that makes you want to watch again to get things you missed or whatever is a good film. I have no desire to see this again because as confusing as it was, there wasn't anything in it that made me care if i understood or not.

Synedoche is this for me. I've still only seen it the once but I will watch it again eventually. I enjoyed it the first time round while not loving it as much as my favourite Kauffman films.

I also think Burn After Reading is very good but I'm a big Coens fan boy so it's not really surprising.

Withnail and I is one of those films that becomes funnier and funnier the more you watch it. (until it reaches the point of overkill). First time I saw it I found it just alright, now I love it.

Toy Story 3

Brilliant end to the trilogy. Great story, fantastic production and plenty of genuine LOL moments.

Invictus

Pretty disappointing this. It was fine up to a point but suffered the same fate as most films that feature a sport. The rugby scenes were ridiculously cheesy and completely ruined the film. The end of the film is full of slow-mo shots, crap music and American actors who didn't look comfortable getting excited about a game that didn't involve crash helmets. Probably the worst film directed by Clint Eastwood.

Toy Story 3

Invictus

Pretty disappointing this. It was fine up to a point but suffered the same fate as most films that feature a sport. The rugby scenes were ridiculously cheesy and completely ruined the film. The end of the film is full of slow-mo shots, crap music and American actors who didn't look comfortable getting excited about a game that didn't involve crash helmets. Probably the worst film directed by Clint Eastwood.

You've obviously never seen The Rookie. Or City Heat. Or FIrefox.

xXx - I bought this on dvd on day years ago when it was cheap in Woolies or something. Never watched it 'till Friday. Nae bad. Just stupid action with Vin Deisel providing muscle and cheasy action lines. The girl wasn't hot enough. She looked like you might find a needle hingin' oot at some points.

Wasn't that bad. I could watch it again, but not soon, and I'd probably put up a bit of a fight. It's not that it's terrible. It's okay, but there's so much better films out there to watch.

** 1/2

Loved Toy Story 3. There was one moment near the end where it really tugged on the heart strings, as did the actual ending.

The moment near the end was ruined for me by Rob Brydon the night before I watched it when he referred to someone's story on Would I Lie To You? as "the Toy Story ending" and it didn't fit anything from the first two films.

Technically speaking, a TV movie and maybe this isn't the right section, but it's to good not to list...

Red Riding Trilogy

Quite simply the BEST thing apart from "The Secrets In Their Eyes" that I've seen in ages.

Pt 1 - In The Year of Our Lord 1974

Andrew Garfield (Eduardo in "The Social Network") plays a young reporter, returning home after failing to crack Fleet Street, who gets a job as a crime correspondant for the Yorkshire Post. Hoping to tie the disappearance of a young girl to other similar cases in the area, he soon gets caught up in something far deeper that seemingly involves the Yorkshire Constabulary. A stellar cast of British TV's finest, including a stand-out performance from Sean Harris as a vicious and sadistic police sergeant.

Pt 2 - In The Year of Our Lord 1980

Paddy Considine plays an honest and idealistic cop sent by the home office to investigate the YC's handling of the real life Yorkshire Ripper case. He too gets embroiled in elements of the same conspiracy uncovered in Pt 1.

Pt 3 - In The Year of Our Lord 1983

Mark Addy plays a washed out, slobbish lawyer, hired by an elderly neighbour to look into the case of her mentally-challenged son, who was "fitted up" for one of the abduction/murders perpetrated in Pt 1. This part ties up the story threads from the previous instalments and concludes the series. Brilliant performances all round, especially from Daniel Mays as the wrongfully jailed man.

This series was bleak. brutal and utterly compelling 10/10

Also, this weekend's Blockbuster 4-movies-for-4-nights deal...

London Boulevard

Yet another Brit Gangster movie and this one has pretentions of "Performance". Colin Farrell plays a man recently released from prison who gets a job as an aide to reclusive movie star Keira Knightley. Good performances all round and some decent set pieces, but it's all been done before. 6/10

Due Date

Robert Downey Jnr and Zack Fat-Guy (who's surname I can't spell) from "The Hangover" movies play mismatched travel buddies in "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" evil twin. Some laugh out loud moments. 7/10

Made In Dagenham

Based on fact drama about the Ford Dagenham's lady upholstery machinist's strike for equal pay. Entertaining and funny with a great 60's soundtrack. 7/10

The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest

Finale of the Millenium Trilogy and only marginally better than it's predecessor. Shame, coz the series started so well with The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. 5/10

You Don't Mess With The Zohan: Why?

1/10

*1 point purely for Emmanuelle Chriqui

I know it's completely ridiculous and daft but... I sat with a mate with some beers and pizza and we both laughed our arses off.

Caught a few bits on Channel 5 the other night and laughed again. A real love or hate one I think.

Burke and Hare

Comic take on some well known Scottish events, directed by John Landis. I'm possibly a bit biased, as previously mentioned in this thread I watched them filming some of this and John Landis signed my Trading Places DVD, but I enjoyed this.

Some ropey accents but generally good performances from Simon Pegg, Andy Serkis and Isla Fisher. Too many daft cameos though.

Magicians - Mitchell and Webb's film they done a few years back. Was on ITV2. I was waiting for family guy to come on and needed something to watch. This did it. Some pretty funny parts but it didn't have the same comedy impact that their other work has. I didn't find myself laughing at this as much as I would at peep show. And I mean, I should've been, it's by the same folk eh? It's the same kind of comedy but just not as good. Worth a watch, probably not worth a second watch. I wouldn't buy it.

**1/2

EDIT: Jessica Hynes was looking pretty tidy in it though. Which bumps it to ***

Magicians - Mitchell and Webb's film they done a few years back. Was on ITV2. I was waiting for family guy to come on and needed something to watch. This did it. Some pretty funny parts but it didn't have the same comedy impact that their other work has. I didn't find myself laughing at this as much as I would at peep show. And I mean, I should've been, it's by the same folk eh? It's the same kind of comedy but just not as good. Worth a watch, probably not worth a second watch. I wouldn't buy it.

**1/2

EDIT: Jessica Hynes was looking pretty tidy in it though. Which bumps it to ***

Mitchell and Webb don't write Peep Show, nor did they write the Magician, so it's not really by the same people. Just starring the same people.

They write that Mitchell and Webb sketch show thing though, which is a bit crap.

Mitchell and Webb don't write Peep Show, nor did they write the Magician, so it's not really by the same people. Just starring the same people.

They write that Mitchell and Webb sketch show thing though, which is a bit crap.

The Peep Show writers were also writers on Magicians, so I think you should apologise.

I know it's completely ridiculous and daft but... I sat with a mate with some beers and pizza and we both laughed our arses off.

Caught a few bits on Channel 5 the other night and laughed again. A real love or hate one I think.

Burke and Hare

Comic take on some well known Scottish events, directed by John Landis. I'm possibly a bit biased, as previously mentioned in this thread I watched them filming some of this and John Landis signed my Trading Places DVD, but I enjoyed this.

Some ropey accents but generally good performances from Simon Pegg, Andy Serkis and Isla Fisher. Too many daft cameos though.

I did not like Burke and Hare either. Alas, Bigsby, we are like chalk and cheese and for that reason our love can never be. I bid you adieu.

Exit Through the Gift Shop - A documentary made by a street artist (Banksy) about a guy who makes a documentary about street art before becoming a street artist (Thierry Guetta/Mr. Brainwash).....which in turn turns into a documentary about street art. It is thoroughly brilliant and entertaining. You don't need an interest in street art to enjoy this. The guy Thierry is hilarious. 9/10.

The Slammin Salmon - Latest film by 'Broken Lizard' who did Super Troopers and Beerfest - 2 of my favourite comedy films. This one, set in a restaurant, wasn't that good. 5/10

Dance With the Devil

Used to be called 'Perdita Durango', not sure why it has had a name change for the DVD box, title still comes up the same. Anyway, It's based on the story by Barry Gifford who also wrote 'Wild at Heart'. Rosie Perez plays Perdita Durango, a violent woman who may not be averse to a bit of prostitution if the money is right, who meets Javier Bardem with a shit haircut and snakeskin boots with snakeheads on the top, who is a bankrobber cum spooky voodoo type dude. He is smuggling a corpse into Mexico and she tags along. The remainder of the film concerns sex, lots of violence, human sacrifice, smuggling human foetuses to Las Vegas and DEA Agents trying to catch Javier. James Galdofini plays the main DEA agent. Alex Cox who directed 'Repo Man' plays another one. Screaming Jay Hawkins is in it as well.

It's pretty mental.

8/10

Dance With the Devil

Used to be called 'Perdita Durango', not sure why it has had a name change for the DVD box, title still comes up the same. 8/10

I guess "Dance with the Devil" has more shelf appeal that the original title? The bottom feeders would assume it's a movie about a Mexican artist and ignore it :)

Did you know...

...that Isabella Rosselini played the same Perdita Durango character in David Lynch's "Wild at Heart" ?

No work to do, so I watched Peter Jackson's The Lovely Bones this morning. For a very sugary, colourful film (albeit based around the murder of a 14 year old girl) I found some of it surprisingly tense (I was fidgeting with suspense at one point). Unfortunately, the ending was very shit.

A better than expected 6/10, mainly down to the very creepy bad guy. I bet the book's lousy.

I guess "Dance with the Devil" has more shelf appeal that the original title? The bottom feeders would assume it's a movie about a Mexican artist and ignore it :)

Did you know...

...that Isabella Rosselini played the same Perdita Durango character in David Lynch's "Wild at Heart" ?

I did yeah. Probably the worsy I've ever seen her look as well. Bushy dark eyebrows and bleached blonde hair = hingin

The Fast & The Furious - Totally brain-dead, and features one of the worst actors in human history in the shape of Paul Walker, but I still love this shit :) Super stylish, loads of great fun action, awesome cars, and Vin Diesel is even good in it. Hey look I managed to review a Fast & The Furious film without using the phrase "high-octane". Take note professional film reviewers!

I love the fast and the furious and the second one for no reason other than you can turn your brain off at the door and just sit back and enjoy it. I made the mistake of watching it with a few guys who are obsessed with cars though and it drove me nuts. Paul Walker is a completely lifeless actor but he plays the role well, can't think of a more established actor who could pull it off any better anyway.

For real? I can think of about a dozen! I liked 2, haven't seen 3 or 4 though, planning watching them soon so I can go see 5 at the cinema next month. The Rock is in it! That makes any film infinitely better.