aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Saw 'Inception' today and was impressed but by jove it's difficult to follow exactly what the heck is going on. Basic plot is simple enough but it was a wee bit complicated in places for a simple chap like me. One to watch again I think. Had to consult Wiki have to admit! But it looks great, flowed along at a fantastic pace and never got boring despite being 2 hours 20 odd mins in length. Yeah enjoyed it a lot, pissed off I put the rental dvd back in the post as could have watched it again!

Watched some fact-based stuff at the weekend...

The Kid

Based on the autobiography of the same name, The Kid follows the story of Kevin Lewis, from his years as a horrifically abused child, bullied teenager and manipulated bare-knuckle fighter and club owner to best selling author. Some hard-to-watch scenes as he is physically and mentally abused by his dragon-like mother (the usually gorgeous Natascha McElhone made chav-fugly) and some "Get in there!!!" moments as he finds his inner strength. Directed by Nick Moran and starring Rupert Friend as Kevin. 8/10

Mr Nice

Rhys Ifans is superb as Howard Marks in this highly-entertaining and hilarious biopic. Not sure how much is truth or fantasy, but it's a great watch. David Thewlis is ace as self-proclaimed IRA captain James McCann. 8/10

The Runaways

Dakota Fanning and Kristen Stewart star as Cherie Currie and Joan Jett respectively in this disappointing tale of 70's rock chick group The Runaways. There's very little focus on guitarist Lita Ford who was as interesting a character as Jett or Currie. It's all a bit too in-yer-face drug taking and shouting. 5/10

Burke and Hare

Utterly gash "Carry On" style movie, loosely based on the lifes of Edinburgh's notorious gracve robbers. Simon Pegg (I know a lot of you guys like him) is his usual irritating self and Isla Fisher is even worse as his girlfriend. A waste of Andy Serkis' talent. Ronnie Corbett is funny as leader of the Militia. 3/10

Rewatched Superbad with the missis, as she hadn't seen it. Still fantastic after many viewings. Cera is forgettable, but Rogen and whatshisface are superb as the Cops.

I saw whatshisface in the street a couple of weeks ago. My first response was 'oh that's whatshisface'. Same happened when I saw Brian from spaced in the tate gallery in London. Some people are better off without names.

Crazy Heart - Lots of hype surrounding this film but I thought it was a clunker. It started out very promising, Jeff Bridges plays Bad Blake, a hard-drinking ex country and western superstar who's boozed away all his money, is estranged from his family and is forced to play in bars and bowling alleys just to earn enough money to buy a bottle of whiskey. Shaping up to be a barnstormer of a "downward spiral / hit rock bottom / bounce back / die" kind of movie. Then we get into some guff about him falling in love with Maggie Gyllenhaal (who could quite easily pass for his daughter) and having to play happy familes with her and her 4 year old son, which understandably he's quite bad at since he's an alcoholic. So we go from downward spiral movie to fish out of water movie, and end up at auto-tuned Colin Farrell singing really bland country and western songs. Poooooooooooooooo.

For the first half : ****

For the second half: **

Would watch again? No.

Crazy Heart - Lots of hype surrounding this film but I thought it was a clunker. It started out very promising.

For the first half : ****

For the second half: **

Would watch again? No.

Agreed.

Colin Farrell was woefully miscast. Sometimes I wonder what goes through the mind of the casting director - "We need a someone to play an up-and-coming American C&W singer. What about that wee Irish gyppo that looks like Kevin out of Coronation Street, he'd be perfect!"

Great performance by the Jeffster in a blah movie.

Up In The Air - George Clooney plays a guy who works for a "downsizing agency" and his job is to fly from city to city firing people. He lives a completely isolated life, never staying in the same place for more than a day and all he owns is what he can fit in his hand luggage bag. Though he is very happy with his lifestyle, and he considers airports and planes to be his home, as he never actually goes back to his own place, just travels from job to job. Until he meets a woman on a flight which makes him re-assess his life and think about putting down roots. It sounds like the plot to a a bad romantic comedy, but it's not, it's more a sort of reflective, melancholy comedy drama, in the vein of Garden State, The Station Agent, Pieces of April etc. The soundtrack has Elliott Smith on it, so, you know, that kind of film. It focuses heavily on the characters, and as usual Clooney absolutely shines, and the young actress who plays Natalie is also excellent, playing the ambitious young go-getter who is hard as nails on the outside but extremely fragile on the inside.

All in all, it's a good film, though there are a couple too many subplots going on and it's about 20 minutes too long, but the dialogue absolutely sparkles, and (as usual) Clooney earns it an extra star.

Would watch again? Yes.

I Love You Man

Paul Rudd gets engaged and has no male friend to be best man so he sets out to find someone suitable. Along the way he meets bloke's bloke Jason Segel and they become mates and get up to antics. Pretty funny, fizzles out a bit at the end though, I thought it was taking a twist that it didn't. Good laughs though.

9/10

The Host

Korean horror about a weird beastie that appears in a river and starts attacking folk, a family try and rescue one of their daughters who the beastie grabbed while avoiding the authorities.

7/10

Frozen

2 blokes and a lass get stuck on a ski lift 100 feet off the ground way up a mountainside. Starts not bad but I found the premise wore thin after about 45 minutes to an hour.

6/10

Sin City

Been reading the graphic novels so rewatched this, besides being an ace film it made me realise just how closely they mirrored the book in setting up scenes.

9/10

True Grit

The John Wayne one, I've loved this since I was a kid, watched with the missus as she hadn't seen it. I've yet to see the remake.

9/10

Beauty and the Beast - Watched it for the first time, ever. (I never saw it as a kid). Safe to say it was amazing. Beautiful voices in the singing. Very funny and even a touch sad when

he gets stabbed and you think he's dead and the rose withers and your like NOOOOO

All in all another great Disney movie. Building up the collection. I think I'll buy Jungle Book next.

Anyway:

**** - Loses a star due to there being funnier and sadder Disney films.

Would definitely watch again.

Beauty and the Beast - Watched it for the first time, ever. (I never saw it as a kid). Safe to say it was amazing. Beautiful voices in the singing. Very funny and even a touch sad when

he gets stabbed and you think he's dead and the rose withers and your like NOOOOO

All in all another great Disney movie. Building up the collection. I think I'll buy Jungle Book next.

Anyway:

**** - Loses a star due to there being funnier and sadder Disney films.

Would definitely watch again.

Cannot believe you missed this as a child. But it's good to know that you've rectified that mistake!!!

Buy The Little Mermaid!

Ghost Dog I loved this film when it first came out. It's really simple, not much to the characters or the story, just an enjoyable piece of film that carries you along.

The Objective Blair Witch worked because it didn't have to have great acting, special effects or even much of a story. This one did however, and it fails on all three counts.

Pandorum To further scrape the bottom of Lovefilm's free with package streaming barrel, I watched this fairly mediocre and unoriginal sci-fi flick. That's it.

Due Date

Pretty much 'Planes, Trains and Automobiles' with Robert Downey Jr in the Steve Martin role and Zack Galifianakis in the John Candy slot. I like the latter, he is basically playing the same role of eccentric weirdo as in 'The Hangover' but he comes out with bizarre little lines that crack me up. Quite enjoyed this.

9/10

Cannot believe you missed this as a child. But it's good to know that you've rectified that mistake!!!

Buy The Little Mermaid!

I've seen that one. I want to get classics though. Snow White might be the next one.

Anyway,

The Social Network - Top job. The story of how Facebook came to be, how Sean Parker of Napster got involved and why Zuckerberg was being sued twice at the same time. Great acting on all accounts. When I heard Justin Timberlake was in it I thought "oh shit, it's going to be good until he pops up" but he was a surprisingly decent actor, plays the part well. Jesse Eisenberg plays the smart-ass Mark Zuckerberg really well and future spidey has some great acting moments too. Even though everything sort of goes tits up for Mark in his personal life near the end, it still seems very motivational "Get dumped, get drunk then create a multi-million dollar idea from your bedroom" is it's message I think.

Unknown - Pretty decent movie, about a guy (Liam Neeson) who is seemingly on holiday and is involved in a car accident. When he wakes from his coma four days later it appears someone has stolen his identity and even his (hot) wife doesn't recognise him. Not short of a cheesy action line either, "I haven't forgotten everything. I remember how to kill you!" was my favourite.

3.5 / 5

I Spit On Your Grave

Remake of the 80's "video nasty". Not very good.3/10

Outcast

Occult drama set in Edinburgh's less affluent areas (ok, the schemes!), where a witch and her son are hiding out from a hunter who is out to kill them. Meanwhile, a vicious creature is preying on the locals. A strange brew of Romany folklore and social realism. Not great, but gets kudos from me for it's ned-bashing scenes. 6/10

Another Year

...and yet another slice-of-life Mike Leigh movie. This fillum, edited into four seasonal segments, is quite charming and funny. A late middle-age couple Tom and Geri, (Jim Broadbent and Ruth Sheen), very much in love and happy with their lot, interact with their less than content friends, including Mary (the superb Lesley Manville) a neurotic divorcee. 7.5/10

A Single Man

The story of a man's last day on earth as he plans to commit suicide that night. He goes to work, interacts with his colleagues and friends and so on, while the movie periodically flashes back to the points in time driving him to suicide.

Brilliant movie, great dialogue, Colin Firth is a spectacular lead in it. The direction comes across a little ham-fistedly in parts in my humble opinion, too many 'arty' close ups and attempts to make a subtle point but then ram it down your throat to make sure you don't miss it..

Overall though, a masterpiece IMO. 8.5/10.

Watch again? Yes.

xx

Unknown - Pretty decent movie, about a guy (Liam Neeson) who is seemingly on holiday and is involved in a car accident. When he wakes from his coma four days later it appears someone has stolen his identity and even his (hot) wife doesn't recognise him. Not short of a cheesy action line either, "I haven't forgotten everything. I remember how to kill you!" was my favourite.

3.5 / 5

Like the sound of this, watched the second half of Taken again the other night and this sounds like the same sort of thing. :up:

The Edukators

German drama about a trio of young activists who break into the homes of Berlin's ultra-wealthy with the intention of moving their furniture around, messing with their possesions, generally leaving them feeling violated in an attempt to bring down their greed-driven capitalist way of life. Not hugely dissimilar to SLC Punk in it's theme/characters (although the stories are worlds apart).

Brilliant acting, believable characters and the story is absolutely spectacular. 9/10

Watch again? Yes.

xx