aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

X-Men - Saw First Class last weekend. So I got a hold of the first ones with Patrick Stewart in to watch. Never seen before. Quite enjoyed it. Anna Paquin has definitely gotten hotter, I can say that. And after seeing First Class I kept going "nope, you never met erik at 17 charles, you liar" etc. So hopefully we see a full reboot and get to see a different story arc.

All in all, pretty decent, and Hugh Jackman wasn't as annoying as everyone seems to think he is.

7/10

I'm on a not-going-anywhere-just-staying-at-hame week off, so I've been watching a few movies.

Here's the first six...

Borstal Boy

aka - Danny Dyer in Decent Performance Shocker!

Biopic, starring Shawn Hatosy about the early life of Brendan Behan, who was arrested on a bombing mission to England and sent to a Borstal in East Anglia. Fairly low-key, but watcheable time-filler that plays like a TV movie. DD plays a sailor and habitual thief who becomes friends with Behan. 6.5/10

The Kings Speech

Highly enjoyable hostorical drama starring Big Woodentop as King GeorgeVI, who overcomes a nervous stammer to deliver one of the most important speeches in British history. That's two great performances from Mr Firth now (A Single Man was the other). Geoffrey Rush is brilliant as the Australian speech therapist, Lionel Logue and Helena In-Everything-Carter is great - and sublimely funny - as the young Queen Mum. Easily lives up to the hype. 9/10

The Rite

Weak and pointless Exorcist clone, starring Sir Anthony Lecter and some American dude who was so insipid in the lead role that I didn't bother looking up his name. Basic story - a disillusioned neophyte priest is about to quit when he witnesses a fatal accident. His mentor sends him off to Exorcist Boot Camp in the Vatican, where he meets veteran exorcist, played by Hopkins. Well-made, but pretty lame and scare-free. 5/10

Unknown

Retro 70's style what's-going-on-here? type thriller strarring Liam Neeson as a scientist who has an accident whilst attending a convention in Berlin. He comes out of a 4-day coma to discover that his identity has been stolen. Lost and alone in a strange city, he has to piece together the events of the last few days in order to get his life back. Silly, but enjoyable beer 'n popcorn movie with a good old fashioned car chase. 7/10

The Fighter

Superb biopic about tough boxer Micky Ward and his half-brother Dicky Eklund. The movie covers the mid stages of Ward's career up until he wins the Welterweight title from Irishman Shea Neary. Christian Bale has a career high as the good-hearted, but self-destructive Eklund. Mark Walhberg is rock solid as Ward, who's torn between his career and his loyalty towards Eklund and his mother, who respectively train and manage him , but are hurting his career. My only quibble - and it's the same with most boxing movies - is that the fights are the wrong order and some of the opponents named in the montage scenes never existed. A must-see. 9.5/10

Hearafter

Clint Eastwood directed this tale of three very different individuals who deal with the question of life after death - a American man with genuine phychic abilities (Matt Damon), a French TV jounalist (Mesrine's Cecile de France) who almost drowns in a Tsumani, and a young working-class Londoner, who has just lost someone very close to him. A series of events brings them together. Very well acted, thought-provoking and quite moving in places. 8/10

More to follow...

Bride Of Chucky - total bobbins but super-enjoyable. The first Child's Play movie made post-Scream and the series goes from horror to comedy-horror, fully embracing the slasher movie dynamic of self-reference, darkly comic graphic deaths etc. It's kitschy, trashy, full of bad puns and huge plot holes - and I love it.

Restrepo - Documentary made by reporters embedded with the US Army in the Korengal Valley of Afghanistan. I was expecting big things from this but didn't really enjoy it. There wasn't much of a thread to the story of it, it was more just insight into the soldier's minds interspersed with footage of them on patrol. Pretty impressive from the journalist's point of view that they were in such danger (one of them was recently killed in Libya) and the footage itself is really impressive but there was a complete lack of narrative. The Afghanistan war is stupid, being a soldier sucks but you love your comrades more than family. I knew all that. I didn't really feel any empathy with the soldiers which I think was the point. Maybe it was just my mood or maybe I was expecting something else having had it recommended to me. 6/10

The Great Raid - Average WWII film fare based on the true story of the rescue of 500 POWs from a camp in the Phillipines. Too many characters and sub plots that were boring and unnecessary but the finale raid was pretty exciting. Probably worth a watch if you like that sort of thing. 5/10

Caught Gangs Of New York on channel 4 last night. Had seen it before, or at least bits and bobs of it. Last night, first time all the way through. Story of revenge as the son of an Irish gang leader returns after 16 years to kill his dads murderer, set against the story of the...gangs of New York in civil war period America.

The story should be great. The scope of it should be great. The performance should be great.

The story is not great. The scope is not great. Minus Daniel Day Lewis and Brendan Gleeson, the performance is not great.

DiCaprio isnt terrible, but reasonably unconvincing. Always thought that the only people who can do justice to an Irish accent are the Irish. Almost all of the rest of the British cast, especially Stephen Graham, and to a lesser extent Jim Broadbent, are poor. Liam Neeson was grand enough but only in it for 10 minutes. Diaz surprisingly is not too bad.

For the most part, its a movie that could have delivered so much but in the end, were it not for Daniel Day Lewis, who is, undeniably brilliant, delivered hee-haw.

As the missus said as it finished at 1 in the morning: 'Peace at last.'.

Last film I watched is "Red Riding Hood" with Amanda Seyfried. It was nice, a different attack from the original story. This version is not for children at all. :up:

It looked far too much like it was aimed at Twilight fans and i stayed clear. Kinda gutted as the original trailers made it look ace.

Saw Xmen 2, 3 and Origins over the weekend. Enjoyed them all. After First Class I was correcting the film again, but apart from that it was all pretty good. I still don't know why everyone hates Hugh Jackman. He's not award worthy, but he's no Ryan Reynolds.

Wait, he was in the last one. and so was Will.I.Am, sort of ruined it for me, but apart from that it was pretty decent.

Some Like It Hot - Incredibly funny. I'm always a little worried with old classics that their reputations have grown way beyond what the film is really deserving of and especially with comedies there's often a sense that you have to be aware of the context of the time etc etc. But this was just damn fucking funny. I haven't laughed out loud so much at a film in ages. 9.5/10

Ratatouille - A pixar film that for some reason I'd never got around to seeing and always had the impression it was one of their weaker efforts. I was glad to be proved wrong. A cracking little film. Very entertaining with everything a Pixar film should have.8.5/10

I also watched the last 2 3rds of Holes and Wimbledon over the weekend too. Holes is a pretty decent adaption of the book, not much else to say really.

Wimbledon was good. Made me fancy Kirsten Dunst again, something that hasn't happened since Spiderman 2. The choice of soundtrack was quite turd though.

The Social Network - Great film, and great performances all round.

The Horror of Frankenstein - Hammer Horror, Fairly loyal Frankenstein story with the addition of more busty wenches than usual.

Drunken Master - Awesome Jackie Chan kung fu classic so old that the Chanster has acne and a mullet.

In Bruges - Great stuff, very funny, brilliant acting from Farrell and Gleeson.

Full(er) reviews:

Last Film I Watched

I was showing my girlfriend some of the worst movies ever made so we recently watched:

The Avengers - To be fair not as bad as I remembered it but haviung recently started watching the new Avengers on DDV it struck me what a uselesss Steed Ralph Fiennes was, and Sean Connery can only have been doing it for the money...

Speaking of Sean Connery only doing it for the Money:

Highlander 2: Sean steals the show with his comedy turn, but you know somethings bad when even Michael Ironside can;t save it - truly terrible sequel to a classic - and thats with me watching the Renegade version which cuts out all the stuff about alien planets.

Not so bad:

Highlander Endgame: A much underated film, nowhere near as good as the original or the TV series but enjoyable enough, anything to do with Highlander is improved by the addition of Peter Wingfield as Methos, except Highlander: The Source, which almost makes Highlander 2 look OK.

Good films:

After the worry of 2 bad Sean Connery films I put on Finding Forrester to prove he had done some good things since the 80's. This is a film I've always really liked with Sean Connery as the man who wrote the 'definitive' American Novel then wrote nothing else, befiorending a young protege.

Limitless

Clever and highly enjoyable sci-fi romp starring Bradley Cooper and Robert DeNiro. A struggling would-be author (Cooper), gets offered an experimental pill by his shady former brother-in-law that enables him to access 100% of his brainpower. Within seconds he's able to solve complex problems and soon becomes a hit on the stock market. This isn't the usual summer no-brainer CGI blockbuster or the "oooh-I'm-so-much-smarter-than-you" joyless Christopher Nolan twatfest, director Neil Burger actually injects some heart into the storyline and characters. Highly recommended. 9/10

The Blind Side

Excellent based-on-fact story about rich white woman Sandra Bullock) who takes in a giant 17-year-old black kid and guides him through the education system and into college football. A bit romanticised at times, but entertaining and funny. Bullock is superb in the oscar winning role. 8/10