aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Moneyball. Absolute quality. Best film I've seen this year, but that's hardly surprising given the competition (Faster, Blitz, Fast & Furious Five, Paul... FUCKING PAUL). I think baseball is a pile of bobbins, but but it's an excellent story about a little guy who tried to take-on THE MAN and all that jazz. A brilliant metaphor for just about anything.

Bridesmaids

Some very, very funny bits but these seemed a bit spread out over 2 hours, wasn't quite the constant stream of hilarity that I had been led to expect. Will probably watch again though. Mainly because I have a curious thing for Kristen Wiig.

9/10

The Hangover Part 2

Pretty much the first one almost repeated in terms of plot and structure, except transplanted from Las Vegas to Bangkok. I still kind of enjoyed it, mainly because I really like some of the actors. Not sure how they keep managing to get Mike Tyson to prove he really can't sing.

8/10

Twilight Breaking Dawn. Hadn't seen the first two and had no desire to see this one but the wummin is into it so got dragged along. 2 naps and a toilet break and I still got bored. From the moment she gets bummed about walking in high heels I realised this is a film franchise for slightly alt chicks who are meant to think 'Oh, that's just like me'. The fact she has two guys on the go bugs me. One of them just kinda hangs around waiting for his moment to slip her the boaby but never getting the chance to. Is that what all girls want? One guy to be with and another hanger on to flirt with and make herself feel desirable when the marriage goes stale? Sad state of affairs.

• Upvote 2

Twilight Breaking Dawn. Hadn't seen the first two and had no desire to see this one but the wummin is into it so got dragged along. 2 naps and a toilet break and I still got bored. From the moment she gets bummed about walking in high heels I realised this is a film franchise for slightly alt chicks who are meant to think 'Oh, that's just like me'. The fact she has two guys on the go bugs me. One of them just kinda hangs around waiting for his moment to slip her the boaby but never getting the chance to. Is that what all girls want? One guy to be with and another hanger on to flirt with and make herself feel desirable when the marriage goes stale? Sad state of affairs.

http://kumquatwriter.wordpress.com/2011/11/17/why-i-think-twilight-is-dangerous-not-just-stupid/

• Upvote 3

You've been Trumped: This was shown at the Uni last week, along with a Q&A with the director and various others. Most of the Menie residents were in attendance, which was good. I enjoyed the film a lot and thought it was quite well made. It's a bit Michael Moore but the director is less intrusive and a bit less gimmicky in his line of argument. To be fair you don't need any particular gimmick to make Trump look an arse. Martin Ford, who was at the Q&A, commented that Trump would probably be quite happy with his portrayal in the film, which I suspect is true. There are maybe still a few questions left unanswered, but it's still a film everyone who lives around here should watch. Kind of annoying that it's not been on TV.

The Deep Blue Sea: Terence Davies's adpatation of a Terence Rattigan play, starring Rachel Weisz. It's set around 1950 and is about a woman who, ravaged by the conflicts in her love life, attempts suicide. It's impeccably done, with a terrific performance by Weisz and beautiful but claustrophobic direction by Davies. Lots of darkened, smoky rooms with a great period feel. I perhaps didn't feel quite as moved as I should have done, but I'd watch it again. Some of the scenes are just mesmerising - I can't think of many directors working today who can make such beautiful looking films as Davies.

The Deep Blue Sea: Terence Davies's adpatation of a Terence Rattigan play, starring Rachel Weisz. It's set around 1950 and is about a woman who, ravaged by the conflicts in her love life, attempts suicide. It's impeccably done, with a terrific performance by Weisz and beautiful but claustrophobic direction by Davies. Lots of darkened, smoky rooms with a great period feel. I perhaps didn't feel quite as moved as I should have done, but I'd watch it again. Some of the scenes are just mesmerising - I can't think of many directors working today who can make such beautiful looking films as Davies.

samuel-l-jackson-deep-blue-sea.jpg

Backwoods - Not as good as i thought it would be considering it has my two favourite British actors in it, Paddy Considine and Gary Oldman. Also that french lassie from The Beach, nice. Straw Dog type of film set in Spain, the characters stumble acorss something kept locked away, locals want said thing back. Not bad but could be better.

Apart from it being Samuel L Jackson, I'm probably going to struggle to figure out what this is referring to.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0149261/

Searching for a cure to Alzheimer's disease a group of scientists on an isolated research facility become the bait as a trio of intelligent sharks fight back.

It's the scene right before SPOILER ALERT he gets chopped in half by a deranged shark. Great movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0149261/

Searching for a cure to Alzheimer's disease a group of scientists on an isolated research facility become the bait as a trio of intelligent sharks fight back.

It's the scene right before SPOILER ALERT he gets chopped in half by a deranged shark. Great movie.

That sounds good. Possibly a bit different to The Deep Blue Sea, which, for all its qualities, perhaps could have done with a deranged shark cropping up. That might have been what was missing.