aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Hangover Part II

As everyone has said before me, it's really like the first one. But, what do you expect? A sequel to a movie about an epic hangover about an epic hangover? Of course it's going to be excruciatingly similar. But that aside, it's a very funny movie. I don't like Phil, but the rest of the Wolfpack are just great. Stu and Alan are hilarious. It has some really funny moments that are better than the first. (See the "Fuck the police" scene). Brilliant. Also, Chow is crazier than before and it's a beautiful thing watching each of them go more and more insane as the movie goes on.

8/10

A spate of brilliant Christmas-holiday viewing for me!

The Losers

DC Comic adaptation where 5 soldiers inadvertantly discover that, rather than carrying out an op for the CIA, they have been doing the handywork of criminal mastermind Max. Cracking performances all round, excellently over-the-top action sequences and some hilarious one-liners. Right up my street!

10/10

Fred Claus

Christmas movie telling the story of Santa's older brother, Fred. Vince Vaughn is a perfect casting for the disgruntled, bitter brother and he squeezes a surprisingly large number of laughs out of the "Christmas cliche" ridden story. Lot of fun, especially as Christmas films go. Good fun, would recommend it.

8/10

Let The Right One In

Not too much I can say to summarise the plot in this one without giving anything away.. I knew a little about the story in advance and it took the edge off of the story unfolding a little. Excellent, dark Swedish (I think) film about two kids dealing with different adversities in their lives. Slow in parts but very much made-up-for in the more fast-paced sections. Watch it.

9/10

The Nightmare Before Christmas

Nothing I can really say other than this is amazing. If you haven't seen it, see it.

10/10

Shutter Island

A Federal Marshall is sent to a high security insane asylum for the criminally insane located on a completely isolated island to investigate the disappearance/escape of one of the patients. Good performances, great plot twists. Always thought Leonardo DiCaprio was a bit of a cock but he did well here. Maybe not the best casting call but he did it justice. Another good watch. Could have had it's run time cut by 15-20 minutes is the only negative IMHO.

9/10

Beautiful Lies

Audrey Tatou runs a hair salon and is forever offering her clients romantic advice. She forwards an anonymous love-letter, which was sent to her by a secret admirer, to her mother. Confusion and hilarity ensue. Typical french rom-com in that it is much better executed than most of it's British or American counterparts. Lot of fun but in all honesty I had to look up my lovefilm for a synopsis to remind me what it was about. A good watch, but a forgettable one.

7/10

Coco Before Chanel

Audrey Tatou once more, playing the part of Gabrielle (Coco) Chanel as she bulldozes her way into the French Gentry and begins to build her fashion empire. I couldn't give two shits about Chanel or any of the reality behind the story, but rather enjoyed the film.

7/10

Wal-Mart - The High Cost of Low Price

Documentary on how Wal-Mart are bastards. Fairly poorly produced but very interesting. Basically, don't shop at Asda because Wal-Mart are fucking cuntrags. Worth a look if you're into that sort of thing, but it is fairly poorly put-together.

6/10

The Human Centipede

Had to watch it to see what the fuss was about. It started pretty gruesomely with the Doctor talking through the surgery and there are a few fairly nasty scenes but it doesn't take long to become pretty funny in all honesty. The Doctor does play a blinder though, really convincing and genuinely terrifying character at times. The effects aren't quite realistic enough for it to be truly disgusting and it just becomes a bit of a laugh, really. It's on the LoveFilm watch online list, so if you have an account, give it a look. Plus, the one in the middle has cracking tits. LAD.

5/10

Also, just got lovefilm for xbox - it's been absolutely brilliant. Great quality and even on my fairly shitty broadband there've been no hiccups or anything other than when my connection went down. Excellent.

xx

A spate of brilliant Christmas-holiday viewing for me!

Shutter Island

A Federal Marshall is sent to a high security insane asylum for the criminally insane located on a completely isolated island to investigate the disappearance/escape of one of the patients. Good performances, great plot twists. Always thought Leonardo DiCaprio was a bit of a cock but he did well here. Maybe not the best casting call but he did it justice. Another good watch. Could have had it's run time cut by 15-20 minutes is the only negative IMHO.

9/10

I thought DiCaprio was perfect for this role. He was one of those actors I just didn't want to watch after I saw glimpses of Titanic, but I've came round, he fucking brilliant. And the film is great. But yes, if they took out all the bits of random footage of storms and that strange music they play all the way through you'd only have half a film.

Tamara Drew

Added this to my lovefilm list to address the balance a bit and make up for all the comic book adaptions and ultra violence I've made my fiance sit through. I was optimistic as the reviews had been excellent but unfortunately this was exactly the film I'd expected it to be. Not very funny, ridiculous characters and a terrible plot. Typical chick flick really.

The Spanish Apartment - French film about a guy who moves to Barcelona to study for a year and lives in a flat with 5 or 6 other people all from different countries. It was pretty decent and quite funny at times, especially in the second half when the english girl's obnoxious brother turns up to visit. I probably enjoyed it more just for being a film set where I live, it was quite cool being able to recognise the streets, bars they visit etc. In a generous mood I give it 8/10 Definitely worth a watch.

Sister Act 2 - This was on bbc1 yesterday afternoon and I was quite bored so ended up leaving it on. I remembered enjoying it as a kid, in fact I may even have goen to the cinema to see it. And you know what as far as films about fake nuns saving inner city schools by forming a choir go, it ain't bad. Very cheesy but not a bad family film really. Still feeling generous 6/10

Point Break - This was on bbc1 too, late at night yesterday. Completely ridiculous film. I did sort of enjoy watching it at first but then it got really shit by the end. No more generosity 2/10

Jay And Silent Bob Strike Back

I've only seen Clerks and Dogma, and was bored yesterday so watched this on Sky Anytime. I don't know if I missed out any in-jokes from the previous films, but I thought this film was amazing. Matt Damon and Ben Affleck playing themselves and taking the piss out of their own movies was gold. As was every time the characters looked at the camera. So many great cameos too. Was just amazing.

9/10

Sherlock Holmes: A Game Of Shadows

I thought it was miles better than the first one, and someone said there was too much slow-mo? Nahh, it made some of the scenes what they were. The chemistry between the two main characters was spot on again and I'm glad the hot-stuff in this een wasn't a bitch, but a hot gypsy.

I felt like Peter Griffin when Holmes said it was a shadowy game they were playing

9/10

• Upvote 1

District 13

It's not District 9. Nope. This one is French! It's set in future Paris - the ghettos have been walled off and those inside have more or less been left to rot until a new threat turns up that changes everything but mostly leads to lots of fun free-running chase scenes. It was good enough to make me not change the channel even though I hadn't planned to watch it which is rare so it must be alright. 7/10

Cape Fear

The original one with Robert Mitchum and Gregory Peck. Much the same storyline as the Scorsese remake but much more restrained. Good film.

9/10

All the Real Girls

Low key indie flick with Zooey Deschanel as primary attraction but she is pretty young looking and not that hot in it. She also has an irritating accent. Anyway this guy who is a bit of a swordsman pulls her but she is his mate's sister so he gets a bit pissed off with him. Danny McBride is in it as another guy she gets on well with. She cheats on him eventually and then it kind of ends. Not very good, painfully slow and dull. Pretty good music though. That and the fact I was also playing poker made it infinitely better. Take away these things and I would have been sleeping.

3/10

I also picked up the Lord of the Rings films cheap on Blu-Ray so watched them again, still ace. Short versions though, have decided they get the job done fine and dandy.

I watched Rise of the Planet of the Apes tonight. It was alright, better than I expected really. I knew almost everything that was going to happen before as I once saw a ridiculous trailer for it which was basically a film summary. However it was still entertaining. Good for a hangover Sunday watch with friends. 7/10

Goon

Hilarious. Sean William Scott outdoes himself here. Oh, and it's brutally violent. I'm surprised it wasn't an 18. If a weapon was anywhere in this film it would have been. It's predictable and the humour isn't clever but you don't go in expecting this film to be any different.

Not one for the squeamish, not in the cinema anyway. Bones breaking in surround sound make me go foetal.

7.5/10

Contagion

Ensemble cast movie that explores how America might cope with a serious pandemic (encephalitis). Takes a realistic rather than sci-fi approach and is quite absorbing and thought-provoking. 7.5/10

Kill List

A patchy, but interesting Brit-flick about two ex-army buddies who are contracted to carry out hits on three seemingly unremarkable and ordinary people. Starts out like an episode of "Come Dine With Me", then goes a bit Ken Loach, before turning all "Wicker Man"-ish. The movie is hampered by the lead characters thick and mumbly accents (one Cockney, one Irish). If you stick with it for the first 20 minutes or so, it bursts into life and becomes quite intriguing. Some brutal violence and disturbing imagery. 7/10

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

I had forgotten my dad had said "That film is supposed to be good, it's about someone who gets raped or something."

So I went in without reading the books, seeing the original or basically having any idea what was going to happen.

HOLY FUCKING CHRIST. It was hard to watch, but at the same time, brilliantly made. I haven't given Daniel Craig much time of day and was worried the film would be shit. Then I saw David Fincher's name come on screen and faith was restored. It was quite slow moving at times but it wasn't a bad thing. It's a lot better than having a film like this just ACTIONACTIONACTIONACTIONACTION. The cast were outstanding especially her that played Lisabeth(?).

Best film I've seen so far this year.

10/10.

P.S. don't go see this on a date, like I did.

• Upvote 1

Au Reviour Les Enfants

I bought this for the missus for her birthday, and we watched it the other night. It is set in France 1944 and tells the story of life in a Catholic school which has hidden some Jewish children in it. The pacing of the film is brilliant; the relationships between the characters slowly builds and nothing is over stated. The ending, which isn't really a surprise, is very abrupt and it really got to me. Excellent film. 10/10

Horrible Bosses.

Starring folk from people you've seen in sitcoms. Friends, Arrested Development, It's Always Sunny, 30 Rock... Allstar sitcom line up. Obviously it's about 3 guys who hate their bosses, so they hire a hitman to kill the three of them. The hitman turns out to be bogus, so instead they get hitman advice. Bad advice. Funny things happen along the way. It won't blow you away, but it's enjoyable, especially if you're a fan of Charlie Day from It's Always Sunny, as he plays pretty much the same character, and is the best thing about it. Jennifer Aniston's still got it too.

Guffaws all round. 7 outta 10.

Smokin Aces

Fuck knows how they persuaded a lot of decent actors to be in this festering pile of shit. I thought it was going to be stupid but I at least hoped it would be stupid in an easy to watch fun Friday night film kind of way. Nope, it's just a fucking awful film. Very little to redeem it. I'm not even going to bother telling you what it's about, just don't bother watching it.

Horrible Bosses.

Starring folk from people you've seen in sitcoms. Friends, Arrested Development, It's Always Sunny, 30 Rock... Allstar sitcom line up. Obviously it's about 3 guys who hate their bosses, so they hire a hitman to kill the three of them. The hitman turns out to be bogus, so instead they get hitman advice. Bad advice. Funny things happen along the way. It won't blow you away, but it's enjoyable, especially if you're a fan of Charlie Day from It's Always Sunny, as he plays pretty much the same character, and is the best thing about it. Jennifer Aniston's still got it too.

Guffaws all round. 7 outta 10.

I watched this tonight. I'll agree with your report to save me writing any thoughts of my own.

Funny film.

Have watched a fucktonne lately and can't be assed reviewing them all fully.

MicMacs. French. Funny. 9/10

Little Shop of Horrors. Musical. Funny. Has dated really badly but in a lovable 80's kinda way. 7/10

Buried. Fucking traumatic. Ryan Reynolds is the man. 10/10

Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Sex But Were Too Afraid to Ask. Woody Allen. Not his best, but still gold! 8/10

Up In The Air. George Clooney. Easy watch. 7/10

Animal Kingdom. Promising but overall a bit poorly paced. 6/10

Attack The Block. I wanted to hate it, but just couldn't. 7/10

The Jerk. Classic Steve Martin. 8/10

Observe and Report. Got a few laughs, but overall pretty poor. 5/10

The First Day of the Rest of Your Life. Pretty powerful, very enjoyable. Well paced and well acted. 9/10

xx

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

It was quite slow moving at times but it wasn't a bad thing. It's a lot better than having a film like this just ACTIONACTIONACTIONACTIONACTION. The cast were outstanding especially her that played Lisabeth(?).

Best film I've seen so far this year.

10/10.

I watched the Swedish verison of the same film at the weekend and was pretty impressed. Good tension throughout, really dark, thought both Noomi Rapace and Michael Nyqvist were great and had good chemistry.

Felt at times that the graphic sexual violence was a little "shocking for the sake of it" and didn't do much to add to the substance of the film, but hey-ho. Also thought that the Bond-villain style confession of the antagonist and the resulting car chase scene were fairly cheesy,

but all in all a decent watch. I'd imagined that the remake might be a little too Hollywood Action Movie and the violence a little too gratuitous, but I'm glad to hear otherwise.

7/10

Au Revoir Les Enfants: Best film I've seen in a while. Fairly familiar story I guess: a Catholic boarding school in occupied France, 1944, harbours some Jewish children. Top-of-the-class French kid is a little cruel and standoffish at first and then gets to know the Jewish kid, Jean, and they end up becoming very good friends. The development of the friendship was genuinely quite heartwarming to watch. Really charming with some very funny anecdotes and one-liners throughout ("do you hate music?"). The pace of the film was really quite slow, but that suited it, and made the abrupt ending, although not really a surprise, seem even more brutal. I nearly cried, bonus point for that.

10/10

The Road: Knew this was going to bleak, but Christ... Still, that's not to say I didn't enjoy it. Very effective contrast between innocence and hope against an almost monstrous desperation to survive. Really harrowing and moving with some quite incredible performances, found it quite draining to watch- a real endurance test.

I was genuinely thoroughly relieved at the ending.

8/10

127 Hours: Really wasn't sure whether or not I wanted to see this when it was in the cinema, everything I'd heard from others who had seen it had been in relation to "that scene", and I thought it might be a little voyeuristic to go and watch that, but it was on C4 last night and nothing else seemed worth watching so I figured "why not?". James Franco was great as Aron Ralston, all arrogant and "invincible" at the beginning, his character development was one of the best things about this film. The camera work and pacing of the film, the use of split screens and flashbacks by Danny Boyle gave the film a great eerie and trippy feel. Great scenery as well, Moab looked stunning. Still couldn't watch "that scene", but it didn't matter, plenty here to hold interest.

7/10

I'm off to dry my eyes.

• Upvote 1

Animal House - Every time I consider watching this I get a little excited, thinking "Animal House! This film is so funny!" only to eagerly pop it into the DVD player and then find myself a little bit disappointed. It has some hilarious lines and some classic moments, but the plot is kind of clunky, and like a lot of John Landis' work from this era, time has not been kind to it.

Anchorman: Wake Up Ron Burgundy! The Lost Movie - This companion piece to Anchorman was complied from deleted scenes and outtakes from the original movie, and follows an alternative storyline as Ron & Co. take on a group of terrorists known as "The Alarm Clock". It's fun to revisit the characters, but in honesty most of these scenes were cut from the first movie for a reason - they aren't very funny.