aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Damn right. Normally I find out about these things after they happen. He was really cool too, I just asked him to sign it but he made a point of asking my name and how to spell it. Maybe he didn't want me to ebay it. :)

For years when I was a kid I had this poster on my wall:

A70-8585

Now THAT would have been cool to get signed, but at least I had something and not just a bus ticket.

That's great. It's always good when you meet someone like that and they are actually cool about it rather than getting all pissy about signing something and having a quick chat!

I spent my Saturday night drinking alone and watching Sweet Home Alabama, because it was on. It wasn't awful and I have decided Reese Witherspoon is a bona fide hotty yet rather annoying. What a sad state of affairs this was.

Contemplated this but went for Ferris Bueller on Film Four instead. I believe I made the correct choice.

I saw The Lovely Bones at the weekend and thought it was ok. I haven't read the book but on the strength of the film i'll give it a go.

I also quite enjoyed it....thought it was visually pretty decent, too. My g/f says it's not a patch on the book, and was 'sanitised' for the 12A rating.

Other films recently seen...

Inglourious Basterds.......enjoyed a lot, surprisingly.

Tell no one (saw it when it came out, but enjoyed it again on TV recently).

Pineapple Express

I've been kind of avoiding this because James Franco was in a main role and he wasn't great in the Spiderman films...also I've found that films about the antics of stoners can be a bit dull to non-stoners, but I picked this up in a 3 for 9 deal at Asda and it's actually very, very funny. Slightly overlong, could have lost about 15 minutes and it would have been fine. Seth Rogen is just Seth Rogen. 9/10

Jennifer's Body

Megan Fox pretends to be a virgin and gets sacrificed by a rock band who play a gig in her smalltown music venue which for some reason also burns down in a rather superfluous plot development. Because she isn't a virgin and has by self-admission taken it up the shitter and everything, she turns into a demon zombie thing but becomes normal again once full of flesh torn from various high school dudes. It was OK, nowt special. 7/10.

Tell no one (saw it when it came out, but enjoyed it again on TV recently).

Good shout, didn't look like it would be up to much, but I really, really enjoyed this!

Recent winners for me have been:

Benjamin Button: quite long, but great story, told with conviction.

Survive Style 5+: Just amazing, nothing else to say really.

The Hangover: Great laughs, much better than expected.

Up In The Air: Pretty cool story with a decent twist at the end.

Kill Bill I & II: Still love the first one more but such an ace double-bill.

Taken: Never gets old or boring, top drawer action-fest.

Drunken Master 2: poorly dubbed import but the athletic prowess of old-school Jackie Chan is awe-inspiring!

All reviews here

A Bronx Tale - hadn't seen this one in 15 years and it's still a great movie.

A directorial debut for Robert De Niro, who takes a supporting to Chazz Palminteri (who wrote the original play). It's a coming-of-age tale about Calogero, a young Italian/American boy growing up in the Bronx and follows his life at and 9, then at 17. He lives with his mother and honest, hard-working father (played by the Bobster), but is drawn to and ultimately influenced by, the charismatic and dangerous local crime boss Sonny LoSpecchio (Palminteri).

It plays like a less violent Goodfellas (though there's a great bone-crunching bar room brawl) with similar voice-over narration.

Well worth a look

**** 1/2

The Kingdom - I enjoyed it. Good pace, exciting, some good acting and great action scenes. Although it seems to have been intended to tell all sides of the story (Islamic Fundamentalist Nutjobs and extended family, Arabian Good Guys and the mixed colour, mixed sex, mixed background FBI anti-terror team from the USmotherfuckingA) I still thought it was a little "Team America" and the way that the actual story developed/how it ended was startlingly obvious and unoriginal. Still, 7/10 for the enjoyability.

Catch A Fire - Based on a true story in Apartheid-era Seeth Eefrika. Derek Luke's anti-apartheid hero pits his wits against Tim Robbin's anti-terrorist squad leader. Best film I've seen in a long time. Watch it. 9/10.

Tonight, Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story. No anti-terrorist teams expected.

Jennifer's Body

Megan Fox pretends to be a virgin and gets sacrificed by a rock band who play a gig in her smalltown music venue which for some reason also burns down in a rather superfluous plot development. Because she isn't a virgin and has by self-admission taken it up the shitter and everything, she turns into a demon zombie thing but becomes normal again once full of flesh torn from various high school dudes. It was OK, nowt special. 7/10.

I thought this film sucked. It couldn't seem to decide whether it wanted to be comedy or horror so it tried to do both (not very well in either case) and it just feels weird and uneven. It's not funny or scary.

I thought this film sucked. It couldn't seem to decide whether it wanted to be comedy or horror so it tried to do both (not very well in either case) and it just feels weird and uneven. It's not funny or scary.

Yeah, I agree it did seem a bit indecisive in tone but I thought it was pretty well made and better than other variations on the theme that I have seen.

Doubt

Superbly acted and it held my interest a lot more than I expected it to but it was short on actual drama or incident. The climax felt like a bit of a let down with no real resolution to it as well.

The Damned United

Brilliant film, possibly the best film about football I've seen. Liked it even more as Aberdeen proceed to live it out in real life the week after I watched it.

Top Gun

First time I've properly watched this for years. It's a great Friday night film, lots of ace quotes, superb action and some amazingly cheesy music.

Unfortunately it's really let down by the bits involving any acting. The love story is preposterous and any scene between Tom Cruise and Kelly McGillis just leaves you wondering how they ever thought it would be believable. Thankfully there's always another sequence with awesome fighter jets coming along to save the film.

Precious - heard so much hype about this film so I was really excited to see it. In reality it was boring as fuck. I spent most of it looking at my watch wondering when it was going to end. Paps.

Whaaaat?!?!

It was scarily realistic! Maybe it was the hype that did it though. Expectation and all that jazz. I saw it on the day it came out so there wasn't an awful lot of media converage etc.

Red Road

A woman called Jackie works in a Glasgow CCTV centre, one evening she follows a couple on camera into a patch of wasteground as it looks as though something dodgy is about to occur. It doesn't, the couple have a knee trembler but she keeps watching. Once it's over the guy turns round and Jackie recognises him although it's not clear why. She starts to look for him on CCTV all the time, ends up following him and eventually speaking to him. Things progress with her becoming more and more involved with him and his mates - you don't find out exactly what has happened until near the end and it keeps you watching. It's pretty good and certainly worth the 3 it cost in HMV...9/10