aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Flatliners - An absolute classic chiller / horror from 1990 which survives Joel Schumacher's best attempts to overdirect it to within an inch of it's life (every single scene is lit in headache-inducingly garish flourescent colours, and there are dry ice machines in every scene, even the ones that are indoors). Still genuinely spooky 20 years on.

The Lookout - a drama about a guy who's had a serious brain injury and has behavioural problems, who gets talked into helping rob the bank where he works as a janitor. Very good film though it does descend a bit into silliness near the end.

Underdog - A Disney comedy about a flying talking dog who fights crime. Better than it sounds.

District 9 - Watched this on Sky Box Office last night due to absolute laziness in not wanting to get up and look for a DVD. Cracking film, I liked the nod towards racial segregation, especially since the main complainers were all black. Made quite a strong point in a very subtle way. I also like the documentary-esque filming style and the shit-loads of gore.

A good 4.5 out of 5.

The book isn't great tbh, but the soundtrack is fantastic. Every track on the CD is Eddie Vedder solo stuff, and all of it better than anything Pearl Jam have done in the last 10 years.

I want to positive rep you and negative rep you but there's no point. The soundtrack is excellent but Pearl Jam's musical output in the last 10 years is some of my favourite music EVER. Riot Act is insanely good and the self titled album is just hits galore! I'll think about it and might positive rep you soon anyway.

Into the Wild is ace. I especially like the chick that is now in Twilight in it. She is super cute.

Just took a stroll up the Royal Mile to Old Fleshmarket Close where they are setting up to film "Burk and Hare" tonight, directed by the legendary John Landis and starring Simon Pegg, Andy Sirkus, John Cleese, Christopher Lee etc etc

They're just setting up props and stuff just now but you can still walk right up and down the close to see what they are up to.

Took a couple of low quality pics on my phone:

image016bg.jpg

image013zx.jpg

image015ba.jpg

Not sure if any other director has gone so completely off the boil after such an amazing start. The Blues Brothers, Trading Places and Animal House are three of the greatest comedies ever.

Don't forget American Werewolf In London. Don't ever forget American Werewolf In London.

I have a shocking confession to make. Despite being a big Landis fan I've never seen it. :down:

Got an HD rip sitting on my hard drive though, just need to find an opportune moment to coax Mrs Bigsby into watching it.

The Lovely Bones

An interesting premise in a movie that is 30 mins too long. Some good acting, especially by Stanley Tucci as Mr Harvey.

Worth a look.

The Departed

Not one of the Scorsters best, but entertaining nonetheless.

Trainspotting

Hadn't seen it in years and it was the first DVD to hand when I was testing my new set up.

It remains powerful movie with pages of quotable dialogue and the Spud job interiew scene still creases me every time!

Quite a few lately:

Taxi Driver; Had never got round to seeing this, glad I finally did. De Niro is simply outstanding in this. Top film.

9 Songs: Absolute tosh! Loads and loads of sex, in fact so much that it actually gets tedious (never thought I'd be typing that, ever), clean bored the tits off me.

The Damned United: Surprisingly good, thought this might be a bit flat despite the reviews, but a really engrossing film. Good portrayal by Sheen.

Salo (120 days of sodom): Oocha! Extremely graphic Pasolini film showing fascists subjecting loads of teenagers to all sorts of horror. Not recommended for the frail of heart or mind. Don't think it's actually possible to review this film in any context because it's more just a collection of 'scenes' than anything else. Didn't like it much....

Leaving Las Vegas; Nicholas Cage's only good film apart from The Rock, IMO. Very affecting, barely a bad scene in it. Great.

I just watched Played "starring" Vinnie Jones, Val Kilmer and Gabriel Byrne among other reasonably well known names. From the box (Jones and Byrne holding guns) I thought I was getting a mindlessly violent cop/ganster thriller but it was actually a low budget short(ish) film with a more intricate storyline than I imagined, not that it was particularly good or original. It was watchable but I do resent false advertising on DVD sleeves. I also resent the Video Drive In for stocking a lot of shite. I guess you take a gamble in the 4 for 5 section.

Also hired out The Kingdom, Catch A Fire and erm... Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story

I've been promising my friend that I'd go see the Lovely Bones with her when it finally came out for months now. She's obsessed with the book, so I thought I'd give that a read. I didn't love it, but it was okay. Film was dire though, as everyone I know (and several I don't) has pointed out. Oh, Marky Mark, what happened..?

Salo (120 days of sodom): Oocha! Extremely graphic Pasolini film showing fascists subjecting loads of teenagers to all sorts of horror. Not recommended for the frail of heart or mind. Don't think it's actually possible to review this film in any context because it's more just a collection of 'scenes' than anything else. Didn't like it much

Ha, I seem to recall our dear departed Stripey one day proclaiming that as a work of genius. Watching folk eat shit definitely needs a certain mind set going into it.

Lately I have watched -

Papillon

Early 70's Steve McQueen/Dustin Hoffman effort. Steve McQueen plays Henri Charriere, (nicknamed 'Papillon' (French for butterfly) due to the tattoo of said insect on his chest), is falsely sentenced to life imprisonment in a French Guiana penal colony, the film charts his various attempts to escape and punishments sustained in prison. Dustin Hoffman plays a fellow convict who strikes up a lasting friendship with Paillon. A great movie that hasn't dated badly at all (apart from the occasional spot of 70's classic red paint blood). Adam Clayton from U2 circa 'The Joshua Tree' obviously took fashion tips from the Dustin Hoffman character in this film.9/10.

The Haunting in Connecticut

A choice off Tesco DVD by the missus. Pretty standard ghosty type stuff. Not bad enough to stop before the end but not really anything new if you have seen Amityville etc. Even by horror movie standards it sets new benchmarks for stupid behaviour - set up bedroom in basement, keep seeing weird visions and it turns out a mortuary is in the locked off bit right beside younatural reaction? Just keep sleeping in the basement.most interesting thing about this movie is realising how little Virginia Madsen appears to have aged over the years4/10.

Also re-watched 'Inglourious Basterds', still great and nice to see Christophe Waltz won a Bafta the other night, he deserves the Oscar as well.

So last night I'm thinking it's not going to be very often that they're filming a Hollywood movie 10 minutes away from my house, so after I'd put Bigsby Jr to bed I decided to head down for a nosey, taking my Trading Places DVD and a marker pen just on the off chance.

Sure enough as I got there it was clear that they had just finished and were packing all the gear up. Bugger. But then I hear an American accent saying "Great work guys, see you tomorrow" and stepping out alone onto the Royal Mile. So I am now the proud owner of a signed Trading Places DVD. :) One of my favourite films ever.

misc014.jpg

So last night I'm thinking it's not going to be very often that they're filming a Hollywood movie 10 minutes away from my house, so after I'd put Bigsby Jr to bed I decided to head down for a nosey, taking my Trading Places DVD and a marker pen just on the off chance.

Sure enough as I got there it was clear that they had just finished and were packing all the gear up. Bugger. But then I hear an American accent saying "Great work guys, see you tomorrow" and stepping out alone onto the Royal Mile. So I am now the proud owner of a signed Trading Places DVD. :) One of my favourite films ever.

misc014.jpg

That's freaking awesome!

That's freaking awesome!

Damn right. Normally I find out about these things after they happen. He was really cool too, I just asked him to sign it but he made a point of asking my name and how to spell it. Maybe he didn't want me to ebay it. :)

For years when I was a kid I had this poster on my wall:

A70-8585

Now THAT would have been cool to get signed, but at least I had something and not just a bus ticket.