aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Frankly I'm amazed you've never seen it. One of Arnie's best films, up there with Predator, Commando and Total Recall.

I've never seen Commando either. Or Predator.... :O

I was totally deprived as a child. I don't really know why but I never watched any of the big action films that all the other kids in the playground went on about. I've also never seen Conan The Barbarian, No Retreat No Surrender, Raw Deal, Red Heat, Masters of The Universe, Blade Runner, Red Sonja etc etc I've never even seen ET! I only watched the Alien films last year for the first time, also Close Encounters Of The Third Kind, The Goonies and Raiders Of The Lost Ark, and I've never seen any of the other Indiana Jones films. Also I didn't watch the Star Wars films until I was about 18.

When I was young I just used to watch the same 6 or 7 films over and over and over again, every day (Rambo First Blood, Short Circuit 2, Back To The Future, Police Academy 4, The Secret of My Success, AWOL and Coming To America) and I just never got round to watching all that other stuff. :popcorn:

I've never seen Commando either. Or Predator.... :O

That is appalling - I'm phoning Childline.

Plague Dogs

Found this in my collection whilst moving house the other week.

For those not familar with the story - it's an adaptation of the Richard Adams (Watership Down) novel about two dogs who escape from a laboratory in the Lake District and are hunted down under the premise that they're carrying the bubonic plague.

In actual fact, Snitter (voice of John Hurt), a terrier has had brain surgery to alter his perception and Rowf (voice of Christopher Benjamin), a black labrador, is thrown in a vat of water every day until he tires and passes out, to see how much his durability improves.

They strike up a friendship and try to evade capture.

If you're not reaching for the kleenex at the heartbreaking climax of this gem, then get down to the docs and get him to check you for a pulse.

I mean, I'm as hard a bastardin' fuck me, and even I was bubbling like a poof X-Factor contestant.

• Upvote 1

Watched Children of Men last night for about the 5th time, absolutely epic. 5.1 track's decent and it's just an all-round great film. The single-cut scenes with the car ambush and 8-minute single-cut war shot are just outstanding. Great, original story and all the little details like posters, adverts and general background noise, make it totally believable. Score: 9/10
I watched this last night. Fucking incredible film. I want to watch it again.

The Running Man - 80's action-tastic. It has it all - a typically 80's view of a Dystopian future where everything is painted grey and the corporations have taken over, loads of big explosions and guns, and an hour an a half of Arnie puns. If you haven't seen it, the plot is that Arnie is an ex-cop wrongly accused of murder and serving life in prison. He is blackmailed into taking part in the highest-rated TV show in the history of ever, a gameshow called "The Running Man", where convicts are put into a "Game zone" the size of 4 blocks, with 5 professional killers on their tail (each with a camp entrance and "signature kill", a la Gladiators or WWE) , and they have to try and survive and find their way out. If they get out they win their freedom, if they lose, they die. Nobody EVER wins.

I'm sure this doesn't need spoiler tags, but just in case:

Arnie fucks them all up and gets freed.

It was fucking good. I don't know why I've never seen it before.

The film is ace but the book is even better, written by Stephen King under the name Richard Bachman, the film doesn't really follow it too closely other than the gameshow premise, I recommend it. I seem to have lost my copy during last year's house move, arse...

OK 'Dead Snow' is actually good fun. Norwegian with subtitles which doesn't bother me but which I hadn't realised....a group of men and women travel to a remote cabin in the Norwegian mountains and have to fend of Nazi zombies who have been there since the war. So about 55 years....without ever being discovered....best not think about the plot intricacies with this one.

If you ever wanted to see a film where someone's head gets pulled in 2, a man dangles over a cliff from a Nazi zombies intestine and later sews up a bite in his neck, this is for you. It also features a classic scene where a fat blonde Philip Seymour Hoffman-alike loudly announces he is going to the outside bog for a shit and this inspires the hottest girl in the group to follow him out and vigorously shag him post-wipe. Apologies to anyone who classes these points as spoilers, I prefer to think of them as reasons to watch the film....

If you like Evil Dead films and early Peter Jackson you will probably love it.

8/10.

Has anyone seen this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scorched_(film)

It sounds awful, and I love this little nugget:

The film had a very poor financial performance at the box office. From the initial budget of US $7 million, Scorched earned back only $8,000 at the end of its theatrical run, approximately 0.1% of its initial cost. It was pulled from its theatrical run after just one weekend in the theaters where it managed to earn a meager $666 per theater.

I'm tempted to pick it up, just to see how bad it really is.

I watched No Retreat No Surrender last night. The plot - a kid who's into karate moves to a new school and gets picked on and beat up by evil karate bullies. So he goes to a dojo to learn karate and finds it's occupied by the same karate bullies. So instead he finds a wise old mentor, trains hard, learns the true meaning of karate and learns to defend himself against the bullies. So far, so Karate Kid, right? Well yeah, expect in this one instead of being trained by Mr Miyagi he is trained by the ghost of Bruce Lee (true story) and at the end after their equivalent of the All Valley Karate Championships, he gets to kick the fuck out of a mental Russian gangster played by a then-unknown Jean Claude Van Damme. They've marketed the DVD as a Jean Claude Van Damme film, the cover is just a big picture of Van Damme, and the only name on the box is Van Damme, which is a bit cheeky, since the Van Daminator is only in the film for about 10 minutes, and he gets beat.

This film should, by rights, be terrible. Everything about it is bad. The acting is just horrible, the script doesn't have one quotable line, and it's not often that the editing and the sound is bad enough that the average layman like me would notice it, but in this case, it is. There's a weird hiss and hum throughout the film, not to mention the sound of wind, car engines, and a weird buzzing noise in a few scenes. The editing is so bad that the actors jerk around from position to position, as they have cut lines / scenes out without bothering to mask the fact that they have just cut a few seconds of the film. You can actually see the boom mike at the top of the shot in a few scenes. And even the token inspirational 80s rock-song for the training montages is instantly forgettable.

But for all it's flaws (and there are many) it's still quite entertaining. The scenes with the skateboarding and the disco dancing are beyond cheesy, and it becomes a bit of a guilty pleaure, and the fight scenes are ace. They borrow the style of old Hong Kong kung fu films, where punches are lightning fast and assailants are disarmed by one blow, unlike the kind of drawn-out Hollywood slug-fests we're used to seeing.

So bad it's good.

Discounting the nightly Arnie film on ITV1/2/3/4, the last film I watched was Moon starring Sam Rockwell and with the vocie of Kevin Spacey. A very, very good lo-fi sci-fi, a definite throwback to the cerebral era of top quality sci-fi films such as 2001. Visually stunning in spite of (or perhaps because of) it's relatively low budget, it also boasts an unnerving and claustrophobic electric score that perfectly sits alongside side a thoroughly engrossing story line.

Set in the nearish future, Sam Bell (Rockwell) is the lone worker on a lunar base used to gather energy from the sun and fire it back to earth. With only the computer GERTY (Spacey) for company and with interference preventing live contact with Earth, Sam has resorted to some inventive ways to help keep his sanity. But as his three year tour draws to a close, the solitude is perhaps starting to get the better of him.

Shant say more, as it has many a twist and turn. Go check it out!

Discounting the nightly Arnie film on ITV1/2/3/4, the last film I watched was Moon starring Sam Rockwell and with the vocie of Kevin Spacey. A very, very good lo-fi sci-fi, a definite throwback to the cerebral era of top quality sci-fi films such as 2001. Visually stunning in spite of (or perhaps because of) it's relatively low budget, it also boasts an unnerving and claustrophobic electric score that perfectly sits alongside side a thoroughly engrossing story line.

Set in the nearish future, Sam Bell (Rockwell) is the lone worker on a lunar base used to gather energy from the sun and fire it back to earth. With only the computer GERTY (Spacey) for company and with interference preventing live contact with Earth, Sam has resorted to some inventive ways to help keep his sanity. But as his three year tour draws to a close, the solitude is perhaps starting to get the better of him.

Shant say more, as it has many a twist and turn. Go check it out!

Also, it's made by David Bowie's son... reason enough to go see. Ace film.

I watched No Retreat No Surrender last night.

Oh you caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahnt!

You've just dredged up a bitter memory for me!

When I was at Uni, I worked part-time in Azad Video (back in Killie) and for MONTHS after it was trailered, I got twice-daily phone calls from some wee schemie asking when "No Retreat, No Surrender 2" was out.

When the official realease date came and went and there was no sign of the movie, I had his cleaner/checkout-type assistant mum on the phone bending my ear, then his van driver/security guard-type dad threatening to "report me to my manager" for it's failure to appear on the shelves.

I eventually lost it and said "what do you want me to do, shoot the fucking movie myself?"

When it finally did come out, I got a call from mum telling me that "I'd better keep a copy fur her boey".

So the fuckwit family came in en masse, glaikit expressions all round and didn't even have the manners to thank me for reserving a copy.

The lot of them returned the next day and throwing me a look of admonishment, mum informed me that the "fillum was rubbish, her wee boey was right disappointit and that we want oor money back"

I said I do one better and go reassemble the cast and reshoot it myself to his liking.

It went right over her peasant, working class head.

NO FUCKING RETREAT, NO BASTARDIN' SURRENDER!

Bah!

• Upvote 2

An excellent Stirton Project, my last Electronic band Optoplan did the music for the first version of that, about 2000/2001, just called 'Removals' then. Good work.

My pal Nicky did the music for that, I didn't realise there was a first version?

.....The Goonies ....:

One of my top films

Also, it's made by David Bowie's son... reason enough to go see. Ace film.

Zowie! This is the reason I must watch this film...

Oh you caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahnt!

You've just dredged up a bitter memory for me!

When I was at Uni, I worked part-time in Azad Video (back in Killie) and for MONTHS after it was trailered, I got twice-daily phone calls from some wee schemie asking when "No Retreat, No Surrender 2" was out.

When the official realease date came and went and there was no sign of the movie, I had his cleaner/checkout-type assistant mum on the phone bending my ear, then his van driver/security guard-type dad threatening to "report me to my manager" for it's failure to appear on the shelves.

I eventually lost it and said "what do you want me to do, shoot the fucking movie myself?"

When it finally did come out, I got a call from mum telling me that "I'd better keep a copy fur her boey".

So the fuckwit family came in en masse, glaikit expressions all round and didn't even have the manners to thank me for reserving a copy.

The lot of them returned the next day and throwing me a look of admonishment, mum informed me that the "fillum was rubbish, her wee boey was right disappointit and that we want oor money back"

I said I do one better and go reassemble the cast and reshoot it myself to his liking.

It went right over her peasant, working class head.

NO FUCKING RETREAT, NO BASTARDIN' SURRENDER!

Bah!

ha ha thats amusing!

I watched Novo French bizarre movie with a guy who has short term memory (which wasn't really portrayed that clearly) and a love pentagon with him having it off with the temp (who has a fro bush), his wife doing his best friend, his best friend in cahoots with his boss so she can occasionally get her wicked way with the memory guy (confused yet?)......some really strange situations cropped up!