aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Underworld

I've seen this before but couldn't recall much about it but I quite enjoyed it this time around. Vampires hunt werewolves as part of a feud that has been going on for hundreds of years. Werewolves are up to some shifty shenanigans and Kate Beckinsale is a vampire in tight black rubber/leather who wants to find out what they are up to while also protecting a human who the werewolves are after. Head werewolf is Michael Sheen, I'd forgotten he was in this but I recalled that Kate was going out with him just before this and dumped him for the director. He is good as usual but weird seeing him in this as opposed to his turns as real life personalities. He must have an affinity for the supernatural because he turned up in that 'New Moon' pish as a head vampirepart of a 3 DVD box set purchased in Asda for a tenner. 2nd and 3rd instalments to go. This one can get 7/10.

Lost in Translation

Re-watch on BT Vision. Gets mixed reactions, folk seem to love it or hate it. I'm in the former camp, Bill Murray is deadpan greatness and a wiz at karaoke. Scarlett Johansson looks nice in pink pants. Great soundtrack and always makes me want to go to Tokyo. 9/10.

Red Dragon

Another BT Vision re-watch. A 2002 version of the book of the same name that was previously filmed as 'Manhunter'. In many ways this is better, as it follows the book's plot more closely to give more background info on the psycho killer but after watching 'Manhunter' dozens of times I think I still prefer it, William Petersen being the definitive Will Graham and the 'In a Gadda Da Vida' ending being fanny-tastic - main thing that lets it down is the 80's-tastic filming style and music. Anthony Hopkins continues to ham up his Hannibal Lecter character, Ed Norton is reliable but feels too young for the Will Graham character. Ralph Fiennes is ultimately too good looking to play the Francis Dolarhyde character. 7/10 for this version.

(9/10 for 'Manhunter' in case you haven't seen it. You should.)

Manhunter is just unbelivebly brilliant, I don't mind the 80s touches, they may look passe now but in another 10 years they'll look "classic". :)

It led me to discover 'In a Gadda Da Vida' which is a great song. This is the best use of it other than in The Simpsons when Bart puts the sheet music for it on the church organists music stand and the congragation start singing it, then it skips to 15 minutes late rand the old biddy collapses. Amazing.

'Wait a minute, this sounds like rock and/or roll music'.

Dorian Gray - A film adaption of the Oscar Wilde novel. A dashing young gentleman commissions an artist to paint a portrait of him. Upon seeing it he flippantly comments that he would "sell his soul to the devil" to remain looking as young as he does in the painting. And it actually happens, he suddenly finds himself invincible. For the next 25 years he lives a life on unbelievable hedonism - drink, drugs, sex etc - and he never ages a day and never has so much as a scratch on him - however all the damage he does to his body shows up in the figure in the painting, which ages and begins to look twisted and warped.

The premise of the film is excellent, however it's far too talky and quite dull in places. It takes about an hour for anything to actually happen, and when it does, it's not really worth the wait.

A Life Less Ordinary - This was a fun little kidnap caper, however I missed the first 20-30 minutes and I didn't really understand all ths stuff about angels and that. Ewan McGregor and Cameron Diaz were both excellent and had real on-screen chemistry. I'm beginning to think that McGregor might actually be a very good actor.

very good actor.

Ugh. No. Really, no. I do actually like the guy but he is pretty much terrible in films when doing anything other than his natural Scots accent. Hence Shallow Grave, Trainspotting, A Life Less Ordinary, Young Adam are all pretty good. Most other things he is in are shite. He needs to become this generation's Sean Connery and just have the same accent regardless of whether playing Russian submarine captains, Spanish swordsmen or Irish coppers.

I watched 'Flatliners' last night, a 2 quid from Asda special. I am positive I went to see this at the cinema. I Think it was Kiefer Sutherland's first big post- 'The Lost Boys' movie and it also stars young Julia Roberts, Kevin Bacon, Oliver Platt and William Baldwin as medical students who start experiments where they stop their hearts to experience a period of death before being revived. A competition ensues to see who can be dead longest and weird things start to happen when elements of their death experiences spill into real life. It actually holds up OK, even with William Baldwin being in it. 7/10.

Most of my viewing for the foreseeable future will be 'The Simpsons', I was in Bridge of Dee Asda yesterday and they were selling box sets for 15 quid each so I had a moment of madness and bought Seasons 4 thru 8 which are reputed to be the golden period. Having watched Disc 1 of Season 4 tonight I'm going to have some good viewing ahead I think...

Face Off: yes it's cheesy, but still fantastic entertainment. 7/10

Benjamin Button: Epic, a-la Forrest Gump. Great execution. 7.5/10

Slither: boring CGI-fest - avoid at all costs. 3/10

Survive Style 5+: Insane Japanese mish mash, awesome fun. 8.5/10

The Hangover: Wasn't expecting it to be that good! 7/10

2001: A Space Odyssey: Is this the most over-rated film of all time? 4/10

The Lookout: It was all a bit 'meh'. Not the best film ever. 5/10

Machine Girl: Gore gore gore gore, story and more gore: 3/10

Up in The Air: great critique on modern life, compelling story. 7.5/10

Vicky Christina Barcelona: Bardem and Cruz are brilliant. 6.5/10

Hell Ride: Please stop presenting us with crap films Mr Tarrantino. 2.5/10

One Day Removals: Good story / production for a local film. 6/10

Full reviews here:

Most of my viewing for the foreseeable future will be 'The Simpsons', I was in Bridge of Dee Asda yesterday and they were selling box sets for 15 quid each so I had a moment of madness and bought Seasons 4 thru 8 which are reputed to be the golden period. Having watched Disc 1 of Season 4 tonight I'm going to have some good viewing ahead I think...

You haven't seen them? Oh man. I envy you, you are in for a treat. Just stop there though, going any further will just end in disappointment.

You haven't seen them? Oh man. I envy you, you are in for a treat. Just stop there though, going any further will just end in disappointment.

I'll have seen some of the episodes for sure, I used to buy all the VHS compilations that came out several years ago which were themed by tape and so episodes came from across various seasons. I do recognise some of the episode names as ones I've seen but definitely haven't seen full seasons.

I did buy a few of the themed DVD's that started coming out as well but stopped when they started releasing the whole season collections, after buying the first 2 I stopped as they weren't great. I actually sickened myself of The Simpsons when I had Sky and was single several years back, used to just spend evenings watching them and Futurama. Again I have no idea what seasons episodes I may have been watching.I have a feeling I asked on here which seasons were best and it may have been you that advised on these 5.

Nic Cage is easily the finest actor of our generation. I watched his remake of The Wicker Man last night. Most entertaining film I have seen in years. This sums it up perfectly:

YouTube - REAL TOP TEN NICHOLAS CAGE MOMENTS

Hopefully this is a joke, that film is bad in so many levels....Comedy value, unintentional mind, is about all that redeems it.Nic Cage did indeed use to be one of the most watchable actors around, even if a bit out there in style and an aquired taste for some, but his gradual decline in quality control has been such that I rarely even bother with his films now - he needs to disappear for a few years and come back triumphant like Mickey Rourke when the bad years are largely forgotten.

Hopefully this is a joke, that film is bad in so many levels....Comedy value, unintentional mind, is about all that redeems it.Nic Cage did indeed use to be one of the most watchable actors around, even if a bit out there in style and an aquired taste for some, but his gradual decline in quality control has been such that I rarely even bother with his films now - he needs to disappear for a few years and come back triumphant like Mickey Rourke when the bad years are largely forgotten.

Unfortunately I think this is unlikely as he's just about bankrupt isn't he?

I have a feeling I asked on here which seasons were best and it may have been you that advised on these 5.

4 to 8 really are great. Though 3, 9 and 10 still have pretty great moments. Phil Hartman died in 1998 and his last episode was in season 10. I think that was generally the moment The Simpsons began its slow descent into pure bollocks.

Hell no. 9 through to 11 are still just as great. I have no idea why the apparent Golden Era stops at Season 8. It got patchy as it entered the teens, but still great. The late teens are the worst, but there's still plenty of goodies. The latest series seems to be a reasonable return to form.

Bobby - A film with loads of characters and storylines (I'm sure there's a word for that?) centred around the assassination of Robert F Kennedy. Interspersed with real footage of and speeches by Kennedy on the campaign trail for the primaries. Loads of fairly well known actors (Hopkins, Stone, Sheen Sr, Slater, Macy...erm Estevez who also wrote and directed it) play little roles presumably on the misguided belief that they were involved in the making of a modern classic. The script may have looked that way but in the end it was not bad but instantly forgettable.

Eastern Promises - Pretty stupid storyline where the main character (a nurse played by Naomi Watts) becomes involved with the Russian mafia in London when she looks into the life of a young prostitute who dies during childbirth on her shift. Some pretty decent violence and a good performance by Viggo Mortensen but overall the story and the main character were a bit.......meh.

Eastern Promises - Pretty stupid storyline where the main character (a nurse played by Naomi Watts) becomes involved with the Russian mafia in London when she looks into the life of a young prostitute who dies during childbirth on her shift. Some pretty decent violence and a good performance by Viggo Mortensen but overall the story and the main character were a bit.......meh.

The fight scene in the Turkish baths is pretty incredible.