aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Yeah, I adored it too. Everyone in it was excellent, especially Penn and Emile Hirsch, I thought.

Still not seen Valkyrie either. I hate Tom Cruise, but I only really want to because Izzard's in it and they were filming scenes in Berlin whilst I was there... also I'll finally get to find out if they succeeded in killing Hitler...

Ha, that's actually the reason I stated for not going to see this in the cinema. I know what happens. I imagine there's more to the film than that.

I recently watched Death Sentence starring Kevin Bacon as a top corporate executive turned vigilante killer when his son is murdered by a gang. It was quite simply one of the most preposterous plotlines in the history of film in the vein of fat Steven Segal straight-to-DVD releases. It started off quite dramatic and gripping before descending into absolute farce. I thought Bacon would be more selective. Not sure if I'd give it 0 or 5 out of five if you know what I mean.

Watched the first half hour of Cashback before my girlfriend made me turn it off. The basic storyline involved the male lead being able to freeze time and take female's clothes off to draw them in the buff. I'm sure there were layers beyond that but we were never getting past the gratuitous ("arty") nudity. Can't watch the rest on my own for fear of being branded a pervert....

Weird Science

Found on Play.com in a double pack with 'The Breakfast Club' for 5 quid. Very 80's-tastic, I think if you didn't see it at the time and came to it new you would be a bit non-plussed, much like my missus who sat in on the last half hour asking 'what on earth are you watching?'. I still enjoyed most of it. Two nerds create a woman using a home computer, some unlikely hacking-into-an-Army- computer skills and a plastic doll. Woman is Kelly LeBrock. Yowser (even with 80's big hair). She brings them out of themselves, takes them to blues bars, they drive Porsches and Ferraris and they get the girls after saving them from marauding biker mutants from the Hills Have Eyes and Mad Max 2 who turn up at a party thrown in one of their houses. You really have to see it I think.Bill Paxton is ace as obnoxious older brother Chet. 8/10 for nostalgia.

Weird Science was great, haven't seen it in years.

Watched District 9 the other night. I really hope it does well at the Oscars on Sunday as it really deserves the plaudits it's received. Superb sci fi which did a great job of mixing up genres and styles without feeling like they were just lobbing ideas at the wall and seeing what sticks. Great acting, great concept and great story.

Would love to see a sequel or prequel turn up at some point.

Weird Science was great, haven't seen it in years.

Watched District 9 the other night. I really hope it does well at the Oscars on Sunday as it really deserves the plaudits it's received. Superb sci fi which did a great job of mixing up genres and styles without feeling like they were just lobbing ideas at the wall and seeing what sticks. Great acting, great concept and great story.

Would love to see a sequel or prequel turn up at some point.

Absolutely great film, was totally gutted that it pretty much got shunned at the BAFTAs though. Definitely one of the better, more accessible Sci Fi films of late. The end's a bit generic but other than that it's hard to fault.

Outland

Ace early 80's sci-fi film starring Sean Connery as a marshall stationed to a mining complex on one of Jupiter's moons. Workers start dying under mysterious circumstances and Connery believes the deaths are not accidental. He starts to uncover shady goings on and finds himself more or less alone in his attempts to solve the deaths. Really good film that has dated pretty well, has a similar grimy look to Alien, occasional rubbery special effects but not to the extent that they spoil the film as they are sparingly used. 9/10.

Oh how bizarre!

I was just about to post same, as I had watched the movie for the first time in yonks the other day.

It's basically "High Noon" is space, with the shuttle countdown readout replacing the town clock. Ostensibly a cowboy movie in a sci-fi setting, with Big Tam (who's excellent) trying to do the right thing in a environment where everyone else is corrupt or scared.

The Escapist

Brian Cox plays a life prisoner who decides to attempt an escape after receiving his first letter in 14 years telling him his daughter has developed a drug problem. The film skips back and fore between the escape attempt and the planning. Not bad but I found the twist at the end a bit unsatisfying. 7/10.

Tyson

Mike Tyson reminisces on his life from a bullied kid to his rise and fall as Heavyweight boxing champion. He is pretty open about everything from his troubles with women to the incident where he bit Evander Holyfield's ear during a fight. It's a pretty good watch, I got the 2 disc edition for 5 quid in Asda, the extras are a 3 part ESPN special on Tyson which shows all his fights up until he lost to Buster Douglas. I actually watched these before the film, hadn't seen any of his fights in years, he really was something else. 8/10.

Bound

Corky (Gina Gershon) plays a lesbian ex-convict who is released after 5 years and gets a job decorating an apartment next to mafia man Caesar (Joe Pantoliano) and his girlfriend Violet (Jennifer Tilly). Violet starts flirting with Corky and they become lovers whilst scheming to rob Mafia money that Caesar is laundering. Much twisting and turning ensues as everyone tries to con each other. Not seen this in ages, still pretty good. Some pretty saucy scenes as well. 9/10.

The Hurt Locker last night. Slow-paced but still incredibly tense.

The desert scene with the sniper battle was, in particular, amazing. Like a scene from a western.

Agreed on that particular scene. I watched this film last night and reeeeally enjoyed it, in as much as I watched several of the bomb disposal scenes from behind a cushion in case they went off unexpectedly. Great film.

Will probably watch District 9 tonight, and I'm going to see The Blind Side on Sunday morning.

Alice in Wonderland. Saw it in 2d. I quite enjoyed it, Johnny Depp played the Mad Hatter so well! Typical Burton but it was a bit of a mush at the same time. Think 3d would make it a novelty film though.

i saw it in 3d on sunday and drew these conlusions:

I dont like films in 3D and find the idea of 3D TV ridiculous

Tim Burton should be hung drawn and quartered. His increasingly poor work is obviously in line with his decline in sanity and his insistency to put his pug ugly wife in every movie he makes only rubs salt into the wound. I hope every copy of this re-work of Alice is destroyed and forbidden to be spoken of in any way ever again.

I can only hope American McGees version, when/if it is released, helps repair the damage this film has done to my love of the original.

Do not under any circumstances see this film.. I feel embarrassed for Johnny Depp.

What happened to the days of beetle juice, batman and dare I say the nightmare before Christmas? (Ive already forgotten that corpse bride ever happened)

Bound

Corky (Gina Gershon) plays a lesbian ex-convict who is released after 5 years and gets a job decorating an apartment next to mafia man Caesar (Joe Pantoliano) and his girlfriend Violet (Jennifer Tilly). Violet starts flirting with Corky and they become lovers whilst scheming to rob Mafia money that Caesar is laundering. Much twisting and turning ensues as everyone tries to con each other. Not seen this in ages, still pretty good. Some pretty saucy scenes as well. 9/10.

Good call!

I forgotten all about this little gem.

Joey Pants is excellent in this one, as are the two leads - who are both extremely sexy in this movie.

Good call!

I forgotten all about this little gem.

Joey Pants is excellent in this one, as are the two leads - who are both extremely sexy in this movie.

Joey Pants is generally pretty ace, 'Midnight Run' was another good turn. What's happened to him lately? Gina Gershon pops up in Curb Your Enthusiasm, took me a while to recognise it was her...

I watched 'Waterworld' last night. Despite it's reputation as an all out disaster I've never thought it was THAT bad to be honest. Some of the effects are looking a bit dated but is it really any stoopider than the 3rd Mad Max film? It has some similarities to be honest. Dennis Hopper gives good ridiculous bad guy. 6/10.

Joey Pants is generally pretty ace, 'Midnight Run' was another good turn. What's happened to him lately? Gina Gershon pops up in Curb Your Enthusiasm, took me a while to recognise it was her...

Don't forget his amazing turn in The Sopranos. In other news I heard the other day that a sequel to Midnight Run is in teh offing. :down:

Bound is damn sexy, and girl on girl action doesn't usually float my boat.

I watched 'Waterworld' last night. Despite it's reputation as an all out disaster I've never thought it was THAT bad to be honest. Some of the effects are looking a bit dated but is it really any stoopider than the 3rd Mad Max film? It has some similarities to be honest. Dennis Hopper gives good ridiculous bad guy. 6/10.

IIRC, its reputation for being a disaster was based more on box office performance than for being an above average, slightly ridiculous sci-fi/fantasy film.

IIRC, its reputation for being a disaster was based more on box office performance than for being an above average, slightly ridiculous sci-fi/fantasy film.

I remember when it came out, it was much derided. Of course it's ridiculous but lots of good films are. I don't think it's a GOOD film as such but it's a perfectly watchable time filler.

There was a general Costner backlash that had been building for a while at that point, his American accented, mullet sporting Robin Hood also took some pelters. Also it took an age to come out due to filming difficulties and ever expanding budget. I think expectation outweighed the final product. The Postman had this times a million. I've still never seen that.

Don't forget his amazing turn in The Sopranos. In other news I heard the other day that a sequel to Midnight Run is in teh offing. :down:

Bound is damn sexy, and girl on girl action doesn't usually float my boat.

I have never seen a single episode of The Sopranos.

A sequel to Midnight Run? No. Just, no. Leave my favourite 80's films alone.

I've never even heard of that film... but wikipedia says I'm half right. It bombed in the US after being produced heavily over budget, yet went on to sell well worldwide.

True, but it's usually world-wide revenue that's taken into account as a total. It's not a bad film but i think it's ridiculed for no reason a lot of the time. The Postman isn't bad either. It's pretty much Waterworld on land, with Posties :)

I have never seen a single episode of The Sopranos.

A sequel to Midnight Run? No. Just, no. Leave my favourite 80's films alone.

I wish I was you, would love to watch the whole lot in one go, just amazing.

And looks like it's too late. :down:

Film news Midnight Run 2 hits the tracks | TotalFilm.com

Sould my soundtrack CD on ebay for close to 30 notes a while back. :up: