aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Midnight Run is perfect. The King of Comedy is perfect. He's been amazing in a lot of films, it's kind of bizarre how he's managed such a long run of total bollocks. Goodfellas is one of my favourite films ever but that's more of an ensemble thing.

I ate in his restaurant in Tribeca and it was pretty good. Hoped to cross swords with him in the gents but it wasn't to be.

The Matador

Pierce Brosnan plays an ageing hitman with a dodgy 'tache who likes a drink and ogling teenage girls. While on a job in Mexico he meets failing businessman Greg Kinnear and although their initial meeting is a bit frosty they become more friendly and 6 months later Brosnan turns up at Kinnears home requesting help with a final job. This is a pretty good film and Pierce Brosnan plays against his usual type. The bit where he walks through a hotel lobby dressed only in Speedos and cowboy boots en route to the pool soundtracked by The Cramps 'Garbageman' is ace. 9/10.

Is CB4 the one that starts in the call centre thingy?

Hazy memories but something sparked in my head.

Call centre? Kind of, I 'spose :laughing:

"Yeah, yeah, I'm lickin' your balls, best balls I ever had. Uh-huh, you've got King-Kong balls. Your balls are so large, just big balls, I don't care. You just got big balls. "

Zombieland

I thought this was pretty great, very funny. Loses it's way towards the end a wee bit. Woody Harrelson's 'That'll do pig' bit was amazing. 9/10.

Payback

I saw this years ago and didn't think much of it at that time, not sure why because on revisiting it's pretty good. Pretty much 'Point Blank' in terms of storline, I think the source novel is the same...Mel Gibson plays Porter, a criminal left for dead by his wife and partner for the 140000 they just stole. Porter survives his shooting and tries to get his share of the money back with much killing along the way. 8/10.

Mars Attacks

A pretty stupid film all in all and you either like it or loathe it I think. I'm the former my missus is the latter it seems. Martians attack the earth. That's pretty much the plot. Jack Nicholson, Glenn Close, Natalie Portman, Pierce Brosnan, Sarah Jessica Parker, Danny De Vito and even Tom Jones star. 8/10.

The Blind Side: Enjoyed this more than I thought I would and Sandra Bullock is really good in it. Definitely lighter than I thought it would be considering what it's dealing with.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo: Fucking awesome. Loved it. Lisbeth and Mikael looked/acted exactly as I imagined them when I read the book. They fiddle with a few plot points and some of the characters from the book fall by the wayside so almost 90% of the film focuses on Mikael and his investigation into Harriet Vanger's dissapearance, but the director certainly does not shy away from the more disturbing/gruesome events in the book. Sets up the next film beautifully. Hollywood does not need to remake this even though they're going to. I wish they wouldn't. Nobody will be Lisbeth Salander better than the actress whose name I can't remember and am too lazy to cut and paste from imdb. Off to re-read the book.

I saw Shutter Island last night. It was good, although the twist is getting-punched-in-the-balls-obvious by about a third of the way through. Still good though, Di Caprio isn't overly annoying either.

I thought it was great. I really didn't see the twist coming.

It's one of those films though that you couldn't enjoy if you'd read the book beforehand though, so I'm glad I didn't.

I bought 'Groundhog Day' cheap a while back and was disappointed by it, wasn't as ace as I remembered. The diving punch on the guy in the street is still class though.

Midnight Cowboy

Jon Voight plays Joe Buck, a nave Texan cowboy who travels to New York aiming to become a hustler servicing needy women, only to discover that things as easy as expected. He meets Dustin Hoffman's sleazy hustler who initially cons him out of some cash before they strike up a friendship. Still a good film, only X rated film ever to win the Oscar for Best Picture apparently. Theme tune is one of my fave pieces of music ever and was covered by Faith No More. In fact the one time I saw them at the Barrowlands that was the opening song9/10.

I saw Shutter Island last night. It was good, although the twist is getting-punched-in-the-balls-obvious by about a third of the way through. Still good though, Di Caprio isn't overly annoying either.

Shutter Island - what he said + I thought some of the dialogue was really stilted.

The Hurt Locker

Curates Egg - good in parts. Oscar worthy? I think not.

Gimme Shelter

Docu about the Stones '69 US tour, culminating in the tragedy at the Altamont Free Festival. Fascinating stuff!

**** 1/2

Midnight Cowboy

Jon Voight plays Joe Buck, a nave Texan cowboy who travels to New York aiming to become a hustler servicing needy women, only to discover that things as easy as expected. He meets Dustin Hoffman's sleazy hustler who initially cons him out of some cash before they strike up a friendship. Still a good film, only X rated film ever to win the Oscar for Best Picture apparently. Theme tune is one of my fave pieces of music ever and was covered by Faith No More. In fact the one time I saw them at the Barrowlands that was the opening song9/10.

" I ain't a for-real cowboy. But I am one helluva stud"

Classic :up:

Storytelling didn't really take off until the 1990's.....

What I'm sure you knew I meant is:

it translates well into modern day cinema.

I watched something last night that had been written over 100 years ago. I watched it in glorious high definition (which, I may be wrong, I don't think they had in the 1800's) and If I didn't already know how old it was I'd have assumed it had been written fairly recently.

Midnight Cowboy

If that's 'Everybody's talkin' (as done by Harry Nilsson on the s'track) you really should hear the original version by one of my heroes, Fred Neil!!