aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Mr Deeds

Part of my short Adam Sandler season. It was watchable, nothing amazing. John Turturro plays a strange Spanish butler - he used to mainly appear in arty stuff like 'Box of Moonlight' and 'Barton Fink', what happened? 5/10.

Unforgiven

Been ages since I'd seen it, still a good film if a tad slow moving. A nice final Western for Clint. 9/10.

Roland Emmerich's latest disaster-fest following 'Independence Day' and 'The Day After Tomorrow'. I assume he just decides to make a new film every couple of years when special effects have advanced enough to make exploding building etc even more cool looking and it must be said the effects in this are truly amazing. The plot's an absolute pile of wank like, but if you can put the brain in neutral it's an entertaining enough watch. But it's 2.5 hours long, 30 - 45 minutes too long. It's like they just had it so long to manage to fit in all the cool special effects.

If Top Gear ever need a new Stig, John Cusack's the man. Limo, Winnebago or Bentley, doesn't mean s**t to him, he can dodge enormous crevices appearing in roads, volcanic eruptions and glaciers like a motherf**ker.

My main disappointment from this film was that Danny Glover plays the US President and not once did he utter 'I'm too old for this s**t' when it all started going pear shaped. 5/10.

Billy Madison

This is one of the worst films I've ever seen in my life. I realise that Adam Sandler is an actor you either like or loathe. I don't normally mind him too much. I can handle the goofy-heart-of-gold-prone-to-yelling-in-anger-occasionally character that he plays in pretty much every film. In this one he plays the same character but with added occasional bouts of talking and acting like he has some sort of mental deficiency. I almost switched it off at the start because I thought he was going to be like that all the way through but he stopped doing it. The plot for what it's worth concerns Billy Madison whose dad owns a hotel chain and so he just loafs about without a care in the world. For some reason he gets upset when his dad says he is going to retire and make someone else boss because he flunked out of school. So Billy says he will go back to school to repeat grades 1 - 12. So he does. Let's leave aside the fact that a school will allow this to happen. Cue Billy interacting with school kids and taking a fancy to one of the teachers, who has a weird face, she looks like Beast from 'Beauty and the Beast'. Steve Buscemi pops up, as he seems to do in Adam Sandler films, they must be mates or something. I don't think I laughed at anything in this film.

1/10. Because it has a Ramones song on the soundtrack.

We watched Adventureland last night, starring a bunch of nerdy kids and Ryan Reynolds, Despite some godawful cringey mentions of music and such, it was very good. But I can't fully get behind the premise of cool teen parties, with their Black Flag posters, listening to the Replacements, and everyone dancing to it, as if it's a Justing Timberlake song. Ryan Reynolds is a bit of a weird choice of cast, but you find out at the end he's a bit of a fraud, impressing girls by saying he played on stage with Lou Reed one time, and then banging them. I'm not sure preppy cheerleader type girls would be all that thrilled about that in the real world, but whatever.

Basically, this kid wants to move to NY, but he can't afford it, so he gets a job in a shite amusement park. Falls in love with some lass. Some lass ends up being a bit of a shitbag, but they ride around in their car together, head banging out of time to Husker Du, and talking about growing up and being travel essayists. It's got one of the cops from Superbad in it. The one that isn't Seth Rogen. He's good. Good film. Good soundtrack, but they mention in too much in the film.

"I like your records. Big Star. Wooah". Christ.

We watched Adventureland last night, starring a bunch of nerdy kids and Ryan Reynolds, Despite some godawful cringey mentions of music and such, it was very good. But I can't fully get behind the premise of cool teen parties, with their Black Flag posters, listening to the Replacements, and everyone dancing to it, as if it's a Justing Timberlake song. Ryan Reynolds is a bit of a weird choice of cast, but you find out at the end he's a bit of a fraud, impressing girls by saying he played on stage with Lou Reed one time, and then banging them. I'm not sure preppy cheerleader type girls would be all that thrilled about that in the real world, but whatever.

Basically, this kid wants to move to NY, but he can't afford it, so he gets a job in a shite amusement park. Falls in love with some lass. Some lass ends up being a bit of a shitbag, but they ride around in their car together, head banging out of time to Husker Du, and talking about growing up and being travel essayists. It's got one of the cops from Superbad in it. The one that isn't Seth Rogen. He's good. Good film. Good soundtrack, but they mention in too much in the film.

"I like your records. Big Star. Wooah". Christ.

I liked that film, the kid who plays the main part is becoming a fave of mine, he has the same likeable quality that Michael Cera has and will likely end up in the same boat playing essentially the same character.

It also reminded me how much I liked the song 'Don't Change' by INXS as it plays over the end credits and led to me going on an INXS CD catch up. I don't care, I liked INXS. Mad druggy door sex singer ahoy.

Billy Madison

This is one of the worst films I've ever seen in my life. I realise that Adam Sandler is an actor you either like or loathe. I don't normally mind him too much. I can handle the goofy-heart-of-gold-prone-to-yelling-in-anger-occasionally character that he plays in pretty much every film. In this one he plays the same character but with added occasional bouts of talking and acting like he has some sort of mental deficiency. I almost switched it off at the start because I thought he was going to be like that all the way through but he stopped doing it. The plot for what it's worth concerns Billy Madison whose dad owns a hotel chain and so he just loafs about without a care in the world. For some reason he gets upset when his dad says he is going to retire and make someone else boss because he flunked out of school. So Billy says he will go back to school to repeat grades 1 - 12. So he does. Let's leave aside the fact that a school will allow this to happen. Cue Billy interacting with school kids and taking a fancy to one of the teachers, who has a weird face, she looks like Beast from 'Beauty and the Beast'. Steve Buscemi pops up, as he seems to do in Adam Sandler films, they must be mates or something. I don't think I laughed at anything in this film.

This was my favourite film in my late teens/early twenties.

For some reason he gets upset when his dad says he is going to retire and make someone else boss because he flunked out of school.

He's not just making somebody else boss - he's making scheming Eric the boss whereas the likeable and honest Carl would be a better choice. Eric and Billy hate each other and Eric would be in a position to make Billy's carefree life hell if given the responsibility. The plot is tight as a ducks arse. Maybe you should go back and rewatch it. Veronica Vaughn is no beast.

Veronica Vaughn, sooo hot, want to touch the heiny. Awoooooooooooooooo.

This was my favourite film in my late teens/early twenties.

For some reason he gets upset when his dad says he is going to retire and make someone else boss because he flunked out of school.

He's not just making somebody else boss - he's making scheming Eric the boss whereas the likeable and honest Carl would be a better choice. Eric and Billy hate each other and Eric would be in a position to make Billy's carefree life hell if given the responsibility. The plot is tight as a ducks arse. Maybe you should go back and rewatch it. Veronica Vaughn is no beast.

Veronica Vaughn, sooo hot, want to touch the heiny. Awoooooooooooooooo.

To quote Buzz Lightyear -

"You are a sad, strange little man"

:up:

I'll leave you to the 'Billy Madison' love. In fact, if you don't have a copy, you can have my one for free.

Then you can watch it, strapped to a chair with eyes pinned open like in 'Clockwork Orange' until you realise the error of your ways.

To quote Buzz Lightyear -

"You are a sad, strange little man"

:up:

I'll leave you to the 'Billy Madison' love. In fact, if you don't have a copy, you can have my one for free.

Then you can watch it, strapped to a chair with eyes pinned open like in 'Clockwork Orange' until you realise the error of your ways.

Ha, I've seen it so many times I can watch it in my mind's eye!

Toy Story Sux, Billy Madison Roolz.

I just found a 'review' I wrote on IMDB:

nonsensical hilarity, 30 July 2002

10/10

Author: duncthepunk from Aberdeen, Scotland

this is the funniest film I have ever seen. At no point in the film is there a solid storyline or structure. The musical interlude comes out of nowhere and is completely random. I laugh thinking about this film.

stop looking at me swan!

Note: My use of the word 'random' predates the word's overuse in popular culture.

Billy Madison

Billy Madison is gold! I will admit it has been a good few years since I've seen it, I can imagine if I watched it now I wouldn't think much of it.

The school principal is brilliant:

• Upvote 1

I liked that film, the kid who plays the main part is becoming a fave of mine, he has the same likeable quality that Michael Cera has and will likely end up in the same boat playing essentially the same character.

It also reminded me how much I liked the song 'Don't Change' by INXS as it plays over the end credits and led to me going on an INXS CD catch up. I don't care, I liked INXS. Mad druggy door sex singer ahoy.

I liked his friend Frigo. The bit when he's pissing on the window was my favourite part.