aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

500 Days Of Summer

Pretty good offbeat romantic comedy. Zooey Deschanel is amazing and there's plenty of genuinely funny moments and lots of lols. The only thing that annoyed me was how the film tried so hard to convince you the main character was an indie geek - OMG The Smiths! and arguing about their favourite Beatles song. More subtlety needed in that department I think, let the soundtrack to the hardwork and the audience will figure it out.

Crazy Heart. Jeff Bridges as a washed up country singer looking for redemption.

Very good film. Bridges was good as always, don't know if his performance was Oscar worthy or if it was just his turn, but he was very watchable. This must be the only decent film I've seen with Colin Farrell in it as well. I tried to convince myself that Miami Vice was OK when I watched it but if I'm being honest with myself, it was fucking ding.

Paranormal Activity which would probably be better in the cinema as

I couldn't even see those footprints on a 32" telly. Also, who sleeps with the fucking door open when they're being stalked by a demon, FFS?

but it was alright if you like Blair Witch type movies.

The Damned United

Brian Clough's short lived tenure at Leeds Utd fictionalised. Finally got round to seeing this after reading the book a while back. Pretty good, even to a football fuckwit. Michael Sheen awesome as ever. Good support from Timothy Spall as ever. Still can't believe Barry from Auf Weidhersen Pet came so far. 9/10.

Mesrine - (pronounced May-reen - you need to get that right or the big man will be very cross!).

Great movie with a fantastic performance by Vincent Cassel in the title role. Jacques Mesrine was a sort of John Dillinger, a charismatic (and violent) bank robber and escape artist who was France's public enemy #1 in the '70s.

The movie is in two parts and is very fast-moving, never dwelling too long on any one part of Mesrine's fascinating life.

**** 1/2

Clash of the Titans

Took the kid to see this when we were in Glasgow at the weekend (notable that I made TWO trips each to Merchant City Music and Guitar Guitar and managed to keep my wallet in my pocket - my GAS is cured!) - anyhoo...

What an unholy pile of shite - worst movie I've had to endure in ages.

Just awful.

None of the charm of the original, dreadful pacing, no character development at all - the lead moves from baby, to boy, to fisherman to fearsome warrior (with no training at all) within minutes of appearing onscreen....and WHAT was with the GI Joe haircut?

Worst leading man ever - even worse than Jason Statham - and he's dreadful!

The action is all 100 miles and hour, no humour at all (except for one homage to the original), Medusa is laughable and the Kraken is just plan boring.

Liam Neeson and Rafe Fiennes (as Zeus and Hades respectively) looked throughly emabarrased at having whored themselves out for a paycheck in this garbage.

The late, great Ray Harryhausen will be turning in his grave (in a stop-motion fashion).

It does, however have Gemma Arterton in a toga. In 3D. Yowzah! - and for that it gets 1/2 a star.

Avoid!

My sisters Keeper - om my not a dry eye in the house! Really quite sad story. Without giving too much away it's about a family where the daughter has cancer and they make a designer baby to help with treating her...the ups and downs that follow.

Recommend, but make sure you have the kleenex ready!

My sisters Keeper - om my not a dry eye in the house! Really quite sad story. Without giving too much away it's about a family where the daughter has cancer and they make a designer baby to help with treating her...the ups and downs that follow.

Recommend, but make sure you have the kleenex ready!

Come on, I'm hardly going to be wanking over a cancer story.

500 Days Of Summer

Pretty good offbeat romantic comedy. Zooey Deschanel is amazing and there's plenty of genuinely funny moments and lots of lols. The only thing that annoyed me was how the film tried so hard to convince you the main character was an indie geek - OMG The Smiths! and arguing about their favourite Beatles song. More subtlety needed in that department I think, let the soundtrack to the hardwork and the audience will figure it out.

That's my problem with these sorts of films too. They are usually good films hindered by the unecessary music references. I don't know why, but it just comes across so tacky when music is mentioned in such a way. There's no explanation for it, because these sorts of discussions happen in real life, so why shouldn't they be in film? But when they are, they totally blow.

Recently watched:

Mall Cop - The fat guy from King Of Queens. In general, it was absolutely terrible, with a ridiculously predictable plotline, however, despite its shittiness, I didn't recoil in horror or cringe at all. It was mildly enjoyable for an utterly shitty film. But I like shit sitcoms, including the shit sitcom the main character is from, so it sat fine with me

Away Days - Film about a group of football ultras, who meet up with opposition fans and have a bit of a ruck. Somehow they always win the fights, and barely even get injured what so ever. A shiner here and there. The story revolves around the main character being a bit of an outside to the group, but finds a way in through some wacky druggy who seems tempremental and suicidal throughout. Thery both go in and out of friendship, all whilst having a fight or two. It's got that hard scouser from This is England in it, playing the hard scouser. The story goes nowhere, but the violence is alright. Hard scouser gets stanley knifed in the neck, and the main character stanley knifed in the face.

Away We Go - Whathisface from The Office, playing a similar character but with a beard. He and his pregnant wife, who seems to resent him, travel round the country finding a new place to live. That really is all that happens. The guy from the Office often recieves phonecalls where he has to pretend to be manly and talk about Sports in a deep voice. This is never explained during the film. I guess I'll be taking my two hours back now? Hello?

Two Mules for Sister Sara

Clint Eastwood plays Hogan, a drifting cowboy who resues Shirley Maclaine's nun from being raped by 3 ne'er-do-wells. She tells him about a stash of cash in a French garrison in Mexico next to her old church that will be easy to nick when the French get pished on their independence day so they travel to Mexico to hook up with a gang of Mexican guerilla fighters to get the cash. A lesser heralded Eastwood Western that for me is almost as good as the Dollars trilogy, Clint plays a similar character and it has cool Morricone music. Shirley Maclaine was a pretty tidy red-head in her day. 9/10.

I thought that looked quite good when I saw the trailer but then watched it while in a shit mood and just thought it was shit. 'Observe and Report' with Seth Rogen is also about mall cops and is miles better.

Really enjoyed Observe and Report. It was much better than I expected actually.

Fuck you, Ronnie

Fuck you, Saddam Hussein of Iraq.

The 3D seemed tacked on too, and added nothing.

There is quite a shitstorm about this actually as it was filmed in 2D and then changed into 3D in the editing/production process. Unfortunately since the success of Avatar there will be a lot more "3D" films out there that aren't really 3D. They ned to be filmed in 3D to be proper 3D.

Clash of the Titans '3D'.

Clash of the Shitans more like.

Seemed a bit rushed to me with none of the charm of the original.

The 3D seemed tacked on too, and added nothing.

It was pretty much all backgrounds it was used for.... could quite easily have been left 2D.

Nooooooooo - not what I wanted to hear!! Is it just shit because people are comparing it to the original which was after all never going to be a comparison ....or it is bad acting etc??

So, when these new 3D TV's come out, are they just going to be adding this artificial 3D effect on everything? Or is it just going to be very limited until more things are filmed in 3D?

I can't wait for Piranha 3D...just a pity it's a remake :(

So, when these new 3D TV's come out, are they just going to be adding this artificial 3D effect on everything? Or is it just going to be very limited until more things are filmed in 3D?

It's a touch more complicated than that with commercial "home" 3D. It actually has the potential to be better than the 3D that you see in the cinema due to the use of active shutter glasses (giving you a different 1080p image in each eye) rather than the polarised image that you see in the cinema. It'll depend on how studios treat their films process-wise as to whether it'll be good or not. I'd imagine it will be easier to adapt a film that's actually been filmed in 3D to the home market than change the process for non-3D films. Samsung's TVs will apparently change any non-3D material to 3D as well. I can only imagine how balls that will be though.

Time will tell with that one i guess. I'm looking forward to dicking around with the 60" 3D TV that we have coming in soon.