aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Watched Killing Them Softly last night. Was looking forward to a solid gangster flick and got a load of pish instead.  Could have been brilliant but there's too many rambling monologues (the scene in the hotel bar with Pitt and Gandolfini was particularly plodding) and weird direction tics.  Running through the whole film is a series of presidential statements from Bush and Obama that have little or no bearing to anything that happens.  The whole thing is patchy and uneven with a short running time that hints at a lot which ended up on the cutting room floor.  Pitt's pretty good in it though as are the two actors playing the fuckups who pull the heist that the film revolves round.

Watched Killing Them Softly last night. Was looking forward to a solid gangster flick and got a load of pish instead.  Could have been brilliant but there's too many rambling monologues (the scene in the hotel bar with Pitt and Gandolfini was particularly plodding) and weird direction tics.  Running through the whole film is a series of presidential statements from Bush and Obama that have little or no bearing to anything that happens.  The whole thing is patchy and uneven with a short running time that hints at a lot which ended up on the cutting room floor.  Pitt's pretty good in it though as are the two actors playing the fuckups who pull the heist that the film revolves round.

The whole scene of the heist on the illegal gambling place is ace!  One of the best scenes in any film.  Agreed though, the film in general is a bit plodding.  I was pleased when it ended. 

Despicable Me 2 in the cinema last night. 4 Papoys out of 5.

I only saw the first Despicable Me on Saturday for the first time. I liked it so much, I went and saw DM2 just yesterday.

Steve Carell's terrible Eastern European accent was great. Russell Brand should have had a bigger part, in both films.

The cinema was pretty much empty too, which is always good. There was us and 2 other couples, one of which walked out half way through, and the other walked out the second the actual film finished and missed the Minion Movie bit at the end. I guess neither of them liked it.

• Upvote 1

I only saw the first Despicable Me on Saturday for the first time. I liked it so much, I went and saw DM2 just yesterday.

Steve Carell's terrible Eastern European accent was great. Russell Brand should have had a bigger part, in both films.

The cinema was pretty much empty too, which is always good. There was us and 2 other couples, one of which walked out half way through, and the other walked out the second the actual film finished and missed the Minion Movie bit at the end. I guess neither of them liked it.

That's bizarre to me. I've never walked out of a film in my life. I've come close a few times but never carried it out. I'll usually stick a film out to the end, even if its shit. To my memory there's only been two films I've ever even switched the DVD off before the end because they were so shit - Southland Tales and From Dusk Til Dawn 2. Utter balls, both of them.

That's bizarre to me. I've never walked out of a film in my life. I've come close a few times but never carried it out. I'll usually stick a film out to the end, even if its shit. To my memory there's only been two films I've ever even switched the DVD off before the end because they were so shit - Southland Tales and From Dusk Til Dawn 2. Utter balls, both of them.

I recently switched off A Few Best Men (hilarious 'shock' comedy starring Kevin Bishop and him from the BT adverts), after an hour that felt like four.

It was one of those where I pushed pause to see just how far through I was and I genuinely couldn't believe there was forty minutes left to play.

FAO EVERYONE: Never watch it, it would be a huge waste of your time.

I nearly walked out on Inception. It wasn't bad per se, I just found it reeeeeeally long winded and a bit boring. The only reason I stuck around is cause I'd given a few mates a lift to the cinema and it would have been bad form to leave them stranded at the beach at 11pm on a Sunday night. It was touch and go though.

I would actually like to watch it again though. At home, so I can take breaks when I get bored.

I remember Solaris being alright.

Just watched Spring Breakers. Thought it was brilliant. It's ridiculous and far from subtle but still managed to be meaningful. The dialogue being repeated and used as part of the score worked well for me although I can see why it has been criticised by some. Definitely worth seeing.

Black Swan - psychological thriller from Darren Aronofsky, about ballet dancers. Asbolutely loved this film, great tension, visually stunning, terrific acting, a plot that you can kind of interpret your own way, lots of cool stuff with themes, colours etc. It strayed just a fraction too far into the supernatural stuff for my liking, but that's a minor gripe. Simply stunning. Plus Mila Kunis and Natalie Portman lezzing it up. 

A Good Old Fashioned Orgy - a randomer from Netflix. A group of 30-something party animals decide to throw one last blowout bash - an orgy. It's pretty much what you'd expect from a title like that, lots of swearing, some gross-out, a bit of nudity here and there, basically a slightly more grown up version of American Pie, right down to the obnoxious foul-mouthed Stifler character. Lots of LOL moments, kept me amused throughout. Way better than I was expecting.

Due Date - road trip movie with Robert Downey Jr. and Zack Galafakaiasinsiifkkklwkfjvmmw. Basically Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, except for that the likeable John Candy character is a bumbling fuckwit, and it isn't funny. Shit sandwich.

ESPN 30 for 30: The Two Escobars - Really fantastic documentary which looks at the links between drug cartels and football in Columbia in the 80s and 90s by focussing on the stories of Pablo Escobar and Andres Escobar the captain of the national team who was killed after the 94 world cup. I'd always known about the killing of Andres Escobar but never really knew the full story behind it. Incredibly interesting and this film is made very well. I'd recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it.

This Is The End - This was fantastic. Seth Rogen, Jonah HIll, James Franco etc playing exaggerated versions of themselves as they experience the end of days. Not a moment in it I didn't laugh at.

Hot Tub Time Machine - John Cusack, Craig Robinson, Some baldy bloke and Aaron from Autumn In Disguise go back in time in a hot tub. Silly fun. But fun nonetheless.

Black Swan - psychological thriller from Darren Aronofsky, about ballet dancers. Asbolutely loved this film, great tension, visually stunning, terrific acting, a plot that you can kind of interpret your own way, lots of cool stuff with themes, colours etc. It strayed just a fraction too far into the supernatural stuff for my liking, but that's a minor gripe. Simply stunning. Plus Mila Kunis and Natalie Portman lezzing it up. 

A Good Old Fashioned Orgy - a randomer from Netflix. A group of 30-something party animals decide to throw one last blowout bash - an orgy. It's pretty much what you'd expect from a title like that, lots of swearing, some gross-out, a bit of nudity here and there, basically a slightly more grown up version of American Pie, right down to the obnoxious foul-mouthed Stifler character. Lots of LOL moments, kept me amused throughout. Way better than I was expecting.

Due Date - road trip movie with Robert Downey Jr. and Zack Galafakaiasinsiifkkklwkfjvmmw. Basically Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, except for that the likeable John Candy character is a bumbling fuckwit, and it isn't funny. Shit sandwich.

Yup for 'Black Swan', nope for 'Due Date', its aceic

Finally got round to watching some stuff I recorded on Sky -

Away We Go

John Krasinski and Maya Rudolph get pregnant and travel around America to try and decide where to bring up their kid. Not too bad, some pretty funny bits.

8/10

Piranha DD

Shite. Not even so bad its good shite, just shite.

1/10

Total Recall

I was aghast when I heard this was remade but its not actually totally dreadful, largely because it bears little resemblance to Ahnees classic. Pretty decent sci fi effort in its own right.

7/10

Wreck It Ralph

Decent kids effort set inside a video games world where all games are linked and characters exist outside the confines of their games.

9/10

Maniac

Remake of the 80's slasher film starring Elijah Wood as psycho killer Frank Zito who kills and scalps women in NY and places their hair on mannequins in his house. Actually an OK update of the original and Wood is surprisingly effective.

8/10