aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

The Sixth Sense - an oldie but a goodie, and still manages to be both moving and also quite spooky. If you haven't seen it yet, go watch it, and don't read the spoilers online first. Also look out for a young Mischa Barton.

I don't think it's possible not to have seen this and not be aware of the major spoilers.

Mean Girls One of the very best in the teen drama / comedy highschool genre. Very enjoyable 8.5/10

My girlfriend had never seen it and didn't know what was coming.

Well I stand corrected! It's just that I'm sure I've seen it parodied many times on different shows and it's always talked about in any conversation about big plot twists in movies. I've never seen it but I feel like I know the film pretty well.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Part 1): I saw this and I enjoyed it. HAPPY NOW? I've forgotten loads of stuff that happened in the book, so I liked the dystopian feel it had. Reminded me of the Road during some scenes...

Also, Bill Nighy with long, dark hair and a Welsh accent: yas min. Bring on the next film for more Rickman, though.

Leatherheads - A by-numbers rom com set in the 1920s with the formation of the NFL as the backdrop. George Clooney plays an aging football player with a silver tongue who plays for a local nobody team, and he persuades college football's biggest young star to sign for them. Both of them want to scuttle Renee Zellweger, though fuck knows why because she looks like a venus fly-trap. Cue love triangle. There are laughs, mostly by Clooney who is a charming and funny leading man with good comedy chops, but the film fails to stir up any sort of emotional reaction. Clooney also directs and shows a real lack of subtlety, the storyline feels a bit muddled at times switching from love story to out and out comedy. It's looks gorgeous though.

Apocalypto

Mel Gibson's oscar-winning Mayan epic. Superb, riveting action and very bloody. Jaguar's Paw (Rudy Youngblood) is a character you can really root for. Some anachronisms and factual liberties, but all in all, a breathtaking movie. 9/10

Coco Before Chanel

Audrey Tatou stars in the story of Coco Chanel's early days. well acted and interesting. Not sure how factual it is, but if it's to be believed, then she was light years ahead of the fashion at the time. Worthwhile. 7/10

Wuthering Heights

A 1992 adaptation of the Emily Bronte classic, starring very young-looking Ralph Fiennes, Juliette Binoche and Jeremy Northram. I was aware of the basics of the plot, but had never seen the original or read the book. Thank God! - what an utterly depressing and bleak tale. There's an uncredited prologue appearance by Sinead O'Connor as the author. 5/10

In the Line of Fire

Brilliant cat'n'mouse assassination thriller starring Clint Eastwood (in one of his best roles) as the only member of the fateful JFK detail still in active service. John Malkovich is just fantastic as the nutbar who's on a mission to kill the current Prez 30 years on. Can Clint do what couldn't in '63???

"you show me some GODDAM RESPECT!!!"

11/10

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Part 1): I saw this and I enjoyed it. HAPPY NOW? I've forgotten loads of stuff that happened in the book, so I liked the dystopian feel it had. Reminded me of the Road during some scenes...

Also, Bill Nighy with long, dark hair and a Welsh accent: yas min. Bring on the next film for more Rickman, though.

I liked this film. A couple of terrible bits but overall I was impressed. I expected it to be good as not that much actually happens in the book apart from the beginning and the end, therefore across 2 films they have more than enough time to cover everything. Still, a couple of rushed bits. I only read the book about a year and a half ago so remember most of it. The first film ends at about 3/4 through the book so the second one should be amazing. Emma Watson. I would like to fornicate with Emma Watson. I especially like how the main antagonist - Voldemort - is barely in any of the films, or books, physically. His parts are all through Harry's dreams and visions.

Anyway, this film reminded me why I like(d) the books. Good story.

I didn't care when Dobby died; cunt. I'm off to watch some boxing or some football or something.. he hem.

I liked this film. A couple of terrible bits but overall I was impressed. I expected it to be good as not that much actually happens in the book apart from the beginning and the end, therefore across 2 films they have more than enough time to cover everything. Still, a couple of rushed bits. I only read the book about a year and a half ago so remember most of it. The first film ends at about 3/4 through the book so the second one should be amazing. Emma Watson. I would like to fornicate with Emma Watson. I especially like how the main antagonist - Voldemort - is barely in any of the films, or books, physically. His parts are all through Harry's dreams and visions.

Anyway, this film reminded me why I like(d) the books. Good story.

I didn't care when Dobby died; cunt. I'm off to watch some boxing or some football or something.. he hem.

Spoiler tags you bellshaft!!!

Haxan

Strange 1922 semi-documentary about witchcraft that has been much-banned. It was OK, not sure what thefuss was about, guess taken in context of when it was made some of it was quite weird and the religious aspects were probably the issue. There is a shorter version of it as well on the DVD that has a William Burroughs narration that came out in the 60's, guess I'll watch that sometime.

7/10

Machete

Danny Trejo plays Machete, former Mexican cop though dead and out for revenge against the Mexican drug lord who killed his family (Steven Seagal!). Rober De Niro also appears as a dodgy Senator and Don Johnson as a racist vigilante. Jessica Alba is also the best looking immigration officer ever. Who Trejo gets to get it on with, along with Michelle Rodriguez and Lindsay Lohan and her Mum. Must be something in looking like a burns victim. Totally ridiculous but great fun, more like the Grindhouse effort that Death Proof should have been. Less yap, more guns and gore.

9/10

Toy Story 3

Bought this for my son's Xmas but had to have a sneaky view. Ace.

9/10

Giallo

Dario Argento's latest starring Adrien Brody as an American cop in Italy investigating some murders. Probably his best film in a fair few years, still not a return to late 70's form.

7/10

The Collector

Surprisingly good "Saw" clone, with decent acting, dialogue and gore. 7/10

Case 39

Rene Zellweger stars as a social worked who takes a 10-year-old girl into her care, after her seemingly insane parents try to murder her. Needless to say, the little sweeyheart isn't all she appears to be. "The Hangover's" Bradley Cooper co-starts. Generic, but fun. 7/10

Brooklyn's Finest

In a weekend of derivative movies....

This is a drama about the convergance in fates of three very different cops. Don Cheadle is an officer who is starting to identify more with the criminals he's working undercover with. Ethan Hawke a family guy desperate for money to buy a better house. Richard Gere, the burnout patrolman , who's merely going through the motions. Absolutely nothing new here, but well acted and beautifully shot. Feartures Wesley Snipes, with Omar Little and Wee-Bay Brice out of "The Wire". 7/10

Spoiler tags you bellshaft!!!

Soz, wasn't thinking.

I watched Scott Pilgrim vs the World last night. I thought it would be a bit rubbish but I really enjoyed it. Some exceptional computer game references and the kung foo and humour were very enjoyable. Just an entertaining film, nothing even remotely serious about it, just fun. Some of the scenes remind me a lot of some of the ridiulous characters you meet from being in a band as well. Some good vegan bashing!!

I can't help but like Michael Cera as well. He seems like a nice boy.

I don't fancy Loraine Kelly. I do fancy Ulrika Jonsson though which is completely disgusting.

With the lip hair and everything? That is disgusting.

I enjoy a bit of Loraine Kelly like.

I really enjoyed Scott Pilgrim... Pretty funny and quite fun. And surprisingly close to the comic. Like the dialogue is straight out of it. Which is nice.