aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Che: part one

Superb. The chronology takes a bit of getting used to as it jumps about between dates a lot, especially in the first half. Brilliant performance from Benicio Del Toro as Che. The only small criticism I'd have is that it's not a true biography, just a snapshot of a larger life. Probably best to watch this after watching The Motorcycle Diaries to get a better idea of the overall path his life took to lead him to the Cuban revolution.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Part 1): I saw this and I enjoyed it. HAPPY NOW? I've forgotten loads of stuff that happened in the book, so I liked the dystopian feel it had. Reminded me of the Road during some scenes...

Also, Bill Nighy with long, dark hair and a Welsh accent: yas min. Bring on the next film for more Rickman, though.

I liked this alot too. Much better than the 6th one which I was disappointed by. It seems like the decision to split the book in two was actually a very good decision from a quality point of view and not just a money spinner. A much better pace than the previous couple which seemed to be trying to cram so much in.

Since seeing this I've actually re-watched the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th films. (i'd seen 4 not that long ago on tv and I'll give 6 another watch too).

I'd probably rate the 3rd as the best with this new one just behind it.

fwiw I've never read the books so I'm not judging in relation to parts being cut or changed etc

[edit] oh and I really want to see that Che film. Can't believe I've never got round to it.

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

Quite enjoyable and pretty faithful to the spirit of the books. My wife hasn't read them so was quite perplexed by the general plot but still found it pretty funny at times.

9/10

Predators

Adrien Brody worked slightly better as an action hero than I expected. Probably the third best Predator film after the first 2.

7/10

The Losers

Based on a comic book apparently, a group of special ops type soldiers are betrayed and presumed dead and seek revenge. It's got that guy who looks like Robert Downey Jr from Watchmen in it. Watchable I suppose.

6/10

A Nightmare on Elm Street

The new one. Not as good as the old one. In fact, not great.

5/10

Quadrophenia

A favourite from my youth. Still brilliant. Even if Sting looks like a twat and also dances like one when he is meant to be the 'Ace Face'.

9/10

For reasons completely unknown to me, I watched Richie Rich on Sunday. The one with Culkin in it. As expected, it was just hideous. Bad guys in family films are just a load of shit. They are shit at fighting, shooting guns, and the only reason they add suspense is because they are so painfully indecisive. It ticks all the boxes though. He appears to have a friend of every race, and there's a fat kid who loves eating. The "plan" at the end is far too overly elaborate, like all family adventure guff. The English butler gets it on with one of the kid's mums at the end too.

Zero out of Five.

Machete: Decent fun, grindhouse parody / romp. Very enjoyable, but not an amazing film.

The American: slow-pace but great throwback thriller. Clooney is outstanding, looks fantastic

Hornets' Nest: absolutely terrible ending to trilogy. Finished off Played with Fire story. TV movie at best

Monsters: solid reality-based sci fi. Minimal story, some decent effects. worth catching, but don't expect Godzilla.

London Boulevard: Layer Cake / Lock Stock derivative, not bad. Farrel's decent, some witty lines. Winstone typecast! Average

Randy Quaid = batshit mental.

The Quaid Conspiracy | Vanity Fair

Seems fairly bizarre that two people should share such conviction in the same delusion. As such I believe them.

Recently I've watched...

Harsh Times Christian Bale plays a mentally scarred former US Marine who is applying to be in the LAPD but is also a dope smoking home boy with guns and shit. Drives around LA and Mexico drinking with his more straight laced buddy. Predictable violence ensues as our hero spirals out of control. Ridiculous characters and OTT acting. Pretty crap. 3/10.

Observe and Report poor to average Seth Rogen style film starring Seth Rogen as a Seth Rogen type character. This time hes a bipolar mall security guard. One or two good one liners but generally washed over me. 4/10.

Rendition Above average compassionate CIA agent trying to balance the interests of national security with human rights in post 911 Muslim country thriller. Well written, well shot and well acted. 7/10

Five Minutes of Heaven Liam Neeson and James Nesbitt play a couple of Northern Irishmen on either side of the troubles meeting up years later to reconcile their differences. Started off quite well and with real tension before tailing off. Without Neeson it would probably have been really shit but with a good performance from him Id say 5/10.

Attack on Leningrad this doesnt seem to have got particularly positive reviews but I thought it was excellent. It annoys me when actors assume ridiculous Russian accents and talk in English (Enemy at the Gates etc.) but in this one the Germans speak German, the Ruskies speak Russian etc. Mira Sorvino is an English journalist who gets caught in the siege as other journalists escape and shacks up with a Russian family, growing close to the children. I thought it was a good portrayal of desperation and starvation and the bombs and guns and stuff were pretty well shot. Probably too many characters that took away a bit from the central theme and story. 8/10.

Frankenstein (1931) - Usually I don't enjoy old old films, mainly because they are all talk and little action, and I geniunely have the lowest attention span of any one I've ever met. However this is a great telling of a classic story, and Boris Karloff plays the monster so well, with almost a childlike innocence at times. This is much more than just a monster movie. And I didn't lose interest once! (Though that could be because it's only an hour long).

frankenstein1.jpg

Blade Runner: The Final Cut

It's been years since I first saw Blade Runner and much of the narrative I remember has been muddled by the game released in the 90s. The film is still visually stunning, I bought this specifically to try out my blu-ray player, but the rest of it hasn't aged very well. The music is particularly horrendous and some of the direction and pacing is annoying. There's long periods of the film were not much really happens for no particular reason. But it is still a classic. Harrison Ford and Rutger Hauer are fantastic and the final scenes between the two are superbly done.

Going to watch Alien and maybe Aliens as well tomorrow night.

Alien

Brilliant in every way. Full of genuine suspense and horror. Strangely I thought I'd seen it before but it turns out I hadn't. Wish I'd watched this years ago now.

The only gripe I have about the Alien films is the following: the fact that they try to move from the first film being a suspense horror thriller, to the second being a lot more actioney, to the third being a suspense thriller again. It doesn't work.

First film - suspenseful, having a real sense of claustrophobia in places and the ever effective fear of the unknown because you don't really know what it is if you've never seen one of the films. Second film - one of two logical routes for a sequel, the action route. Still some brilliant suspensful moments with some awesome action segments. Third film - this is where it falls down, by trying to go back to the series routes by failing pitifully at recreating the fear of not knowing what it is. Fair enough, the alien is slightly different, but you know what it is already, just get to the point. Fourth film - cash in, so I won't get started.

Having ranted, I still love them all to a point, but the first two are by far the best of the lot.

Up - Not as good on repeat viewings. The boy scout kid is just annoying. Still, enjoyable.

Deuce Bigalow Male Gigolo - Funnier than I was expecting. If you like fart gags and swearing (I do).

Queen Of The Damned - Meh. I like vampire flicks but I don't care for the Anne Rice bullshit, all corsets and castles and pretty boy vampires. This was average. Interview With A Vampire is better, and it has that ace Annie Lennox song on the soundtrack.

Queen Of The Damned - Meh. I like vampire flicks but I don't care for the Anne Rice bullshit, all corsets and castles and pretty boy vampires.

/contradiction

Interview With The Vampire - Great film, great story, amazing costumes and scenery, and a star turn from a young Kirsten Dunst as a bloodthirsty vamp stuck forever in a child's body. However a horribly miscast Tom Cruise ponces around and makes Lestat the gayest vampire in the history of gay vampires (and that includes the Twilight saga). Which spoils it a bit.

Up - Not as good on repeat viewings. The boy scout kid is just annoying. Still, enjoyable.

I found him funnier the second time round. Only seen it twice as I was bubbling in the cinema and at home. The stuff with the old guys wife is affa sad. On a similar note:

Dumbo - One of the best Disney animations of all time IMO. You can tell how far animation and SFX has came since this though, especially when the mouse cracks open a monkey nut and there's not a cracking noise. Had me bubbling as well. Watched it right after UP.

I found him funnier the second time round. Only seen it twice as I was bubbling in the cinema and at home. The stuff with the old guys wife is affa sad. On a similar note:

Dumbo - One of the best Disney animations of all time IMO. You can tell how far animation and SFX has came since this though, especially when the mouse cracks open a monkey nut and there's not a cracking noise. Had me bubbling as well. Watched it right after UP.

Were you also sipping a G&T and menstruating?

xx

I cried at both of those movies too. And I fucking love Gin.

Un Prophete. Fuckin amazing film. One of the best prison films ever made. It's probably my favourite genre too. I loved the fact it was a french film but there wasn't a single white french person in it. It was all about the how the other sections of society get on with each other. Highly recommend this to anyone who likes gritty films.

High Fidelity

One of the few books to films conversions that didn't disappoint me, which I expected it to when I first saw it, as High Fidelity was the second book I ever read. Great film. I've seen it heaps but I still keep finding unnoticed jokes, usually based around Dick being awkward as hell, and Barry being a cunt. Tim Robbins is the man too. Always great

Role Models

Much better than expected as I'm not a fan of Sean William Scott, but he's good in this. Big fan of Paul Rudd. He tends to always play the nice guy, but he's a bit of a mardy twat in this, and it's a great character. A brief appearance from everyones favourite Angry Asian Guy too. The storyline is absolutely ridiculous, and the ending is a bit wet. Alot of the dialogue between Rudd and Scott is brilliant though. Great funnies.