aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

And as far as I can tell it has kept the most in from the books out of any of them.

I really dislike this opinion (not suggesting you have it, like) that a Harry Potter film can't be considered "good" unless it sticks to the book like a fundamentalist. Films and books are different kettles of fish, always were and always will be - you've got to let a director have his creative license.

• Upvote 1

Red Road

A 30-something widow who operates the CCTV cameras for the Red Road flats area in Glasgow, spots a man who holds the key to her past. Superb character study that doesn't treat it's subjects like stereotypes. Not quite in the "thriller" category, but suspenseful and without cliche'. Although not directed by Lars von Trier, it has his stamp all over it. 8.5/10

Hallam Foe

Jamie Bell stars as the title character, an 18-year-old boy who takes up a life of voyeurism to help cope with the traumatic suicide of his mother. Another excellent Scottish movie, partly set in Edinburgh. 8/10

Skyline

Shite. 1/10

Monsters

This one seems to polarise audiences, but I personally liked it (apart from the lead male's infinitely kickable face). Gets criticised for it's lack of actual monster action, but I think that helps the movie and makes it all the more effective when the beasties do appear. If reports about the ridiculously small budget are true, then it's a major achievement, because it looks great and you really do get the feeling that you are in a war zone. 8/10

3mins 48secs cut out apparently. Most of the cuts relate to the portrayal of children in abusive or sexual acts.

It's quite an interesting censorship point. On the one hand I'm a "I'm a grown adult, I should be able to watch what I want, no nanny state etc" type of guy, but on the other hand I really don't think I need to see a guy

fucking a baby

, even if it is simulated.

However, the internet surely makes this type of censorship pointless now. Anyone with half a brain (ie me) could go and download this film uncut and watch it tonight after Eastenders.

It's quite an interesting censorship point. On the one hand I'm a "I'm a grown adult, I should be able to watch what I want, no nanny state etc" type of guy, but on the other hand I really don't think I need to see a guy

fucking a baby

, even if it is simulated.

However, the internet surely makes this type of censorship pointless now. Anyone with half a brain (ie me) could go and download this film uncut and watch it tonight after Eastenders.

It's a hard one (wahaaaay) but i totally agree. I am firmly against downloading films though so when i do see it it'll be the cut version.

I really dislike this opinion (not suggesting you have it, like) that a Harry Potter film can't be considered "good" unless it sticks to the book like a fundamentalist. Films and books are different kettles of fish, always were and always will be - you've got to let a director have his creative license.

I like when films differ from the books in term of story telling. But when good stuff is left out after reading the book I always feel a little flat. Like in the half-blood prince I was waiting

for an amazing fight scene and a dramatic funeral

and when neither appeared I was like, oh, not much of a climax

Snape's the half-blood prince.. right.. and? Where's my fucking fight scene? Oh and they cut out when Harry and the weasley twins batter malfoy.

I understand films have to leave stuff out. Look at LOTR or even something like Scott Pilgrim, they leave out things that don't have much epicness or great storytelling ability.

But the stuff left out in HP films should've been put in. Or at least there should've been extended cuts and the likes.

The Usual Suspects - good but not as good as I remember from watching it, waaaay back. Possibly because I know the ending now. My girlfriend has never seen it before and she called the ending about 45 minutes into the film, which I was surprised at because I thought it was a total shock. Kevin Spacey is good in it.

The Usual Suspects - good but not as good as I remember from watching it, waaaay back. Possibly because I know the ending now. My girlfriend has never seen it before and she called the ending about 45 minutes into the film, which I was surprised at because I thought it was a total shock. Kevin Spacey is good in it.

Yeah, I called the ending pretty easily when I eventually bought it. I think that's probably because it's well known for having a twist now,so people are anticipating it.

The usual suspects was one of those films that really got me into films as a bit more than just mindless entertainment. I watched it when I was far too young and my mind was completely blown by the ending. I don't think the twist is the big shock, you can kinda guess that one, its more the extent of the 'lie'. Still is one of my favourite films.

Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Pt1

Went to see this last night with The Kid. I wasn't looking forward to it as I had found the previous 6 movies to be disappointing - good ideas saddled with too many "cute" magic references and silly characters - like watching a screen full of Jar-Jar Binks'.

This movie was so much better than the tripe that has gone before. More mature dialogue (well, I suppose the leads ARE getting older), more story, less reliance on effects and a genuine sense of dread and danger.

Looking forward to the conclusion. 8/10 (loses a point for the commercially cynical way they've squeezed two movies out of one book)

Orphan

Above average spooky kid flick. A choice of the missus, I expected usual post-Omen-but-not-as-good affair due to black clad lass on cover, turned out to be a good watch with an unexpected twist. Said twist may have been pretty dumb if thought about too much but it was still an enoyable watch.

8/10

Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll

Ian Dury biopic with Andy Serkis as Dury. Amazing spot of acting work. Great film.

9/10

Late Night Trains

Mid-70's 'Last House on the Left' rip off. Pretty pish.

5/10

Triangle

Melissa George as a stressed out single mother who goes on a sailing trip with a group of folk, they get overturned in s astorm, rescued by a mysterious ocean liner and lots of weird things start happening where she ends up in a circle of events that she becomes involved in via multiple incarnations of herself and tries to stop the nastier parts of the circle happening. Actually not too bad but if you fell asleep you'd be fucked in terms of what was happening.

7/10

Tron Legacy.

they should have given Dude his roach tweezers. It's bio digital jazz, man! fucking pissed myself.

sort of ok film though. apart from all the stuff that wasn't being awesome set to daft punk.

Watched this last night. For my first 3D film experience I was quite happy, just gutted I never saw Avatar in the cinema now! Jeff Bridges is essentially The Dude in this film. The only thing that let me down was the 10.90 I had to pay to watch it. That is mental.

At first I thought splitting the final HP book into two films had to be a money making move. It may have been, but looking at it now it looks like an equally wise artistic decision.

I really liked the latest one and it's right up there as one of my faves of the series but I find it a littel curious that someone who didn't like the previous 6 sees this as so much better,

Watched this last night. For my first 3D film experience I was quite happy, just gutted I never saw Avatar in the cinema now! Jeff Bridges is essentially The Dude in this film. The only thing that let me down was the 10.90 I had to pay to watch it. That is mental.

I really enjoyed Tron: Legacy, but it's well pissing off when you use the orange wednesdays 241 thing and you still have to pay extra for the "free" ticket just because it's a 3D film.